The Good, The Bad and The Ugly...New Stuff review

The place to for general Subbuteo threads.
matteo
Apprentice

Re: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly...New Stuff review

Postby matteo » 23 Sep 2011, 18:31

Yes welcome to the forum Chris.

Interesting question. I didn't cover the dream team stuff in my review because it is not a new or current product having been released in 2005 and killed off in 2007. Personally I wasn't taking an active interest in Subbuteo at that time and as a result have never encountered that particular Hasbro range. I actually missed much of the Hasbro era - I stopped collecting when they released the first one piece bases in the 90s. So can only comment from what I've read and heard.

Opinions on the photoreal era are generally fairly strong and mostly negative. My personal take on it is that the idea on paper must have seemed, to all involved, truly inspired - however the reality was Hasbro misjudged what the paying customer actually wanted from their product. The many reasons for the failure of that product and the demise of Subbuteo as a brand were widely reported at the time. Take a look at Peter Upton's site and also some of the media links on here if you want to know more. A lot of negative things get said about the Hasbro era but when you look back objectively the company tried many times to rejuvenate the brand and for that they deserve some credit.

I'm sure some of the guys on here will be able to give a more detailed analysis of how the bases played etc. From what I gather the big problem was that the bases had a logo etched into the bottom rendering them virtually unplayable - which seems to tally with the experience Chris describes.

matteo
Apprentice

Postby matteo » 23 Sep 2011, 19:33

Vikash - details of the photoreal sets can be found here http://www.peter-upton.co.uk/photoreal.htm

Vikash
Grand Master

Postby Vikash » 24 Sep 2011, 10:35

Vikash - details of the photoreal sets can be found here http://www.peter-upton.co.uk/photoreal.htm
Thanks, mate! I was wondering what the MB stood for. I thought it was first letters of a team :wink:
How about them transparent dangling carrots
How about that ever elusive kudo

FreeKick2K11

Postby FreeKick2K11 » 24 Sep 2011, 16:12

Hey thanks guys for the warm welcome and for you responses.
I am a novice subbuteo player and really love practicing, I will soon be uploading pictures of my collection, it is very minor though but i will keep building it up

SFC-Chris

Postby SFC-Chris » 01 Nov 2011, 17:20

The Dream Team set was my first ever Subbuteo set ... and despite the fact you could barely play it, I still went and bought some 'proper' LW and HW teams :P

Racing Cadiz

Postby Racing Cadiz » 19 Nov 2011, 00:49

I am so glad that this photo real crap all happened when I was away from subbuteo. This is why there are no headlines from the time from me stalking through hasbro's offices with a machete and a tea spoon.....

Seriously, you can do awful, awful things with a tea spoon if you're not squeamish.

Persija88
Forum Newbie

Postby Persija88 » 17 Dec 2011, 10:43

Matteo, as promised, some comments on Soccer 3D HW teams here... viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16459&start=15" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

matteo
Apprentice

Postby matteo » 24 Dec 2011, 03:25

Good work Persija88 - really useful review of the Soccer3D HW teams. Thanks for taking the time to post it.

TheRotherhamFlicker

Postby TheRotherhamFlicker » 24 Jan 2012, 02:30

Hello all,
I first had Subbuteo as a kid in the late 70's. Since then I have had about 3 revivals! The first came in about 1989 and then again in 2005.
I no longer have a collection but I want to slowly and gradually collect again so I have done a fair bit of research and scanning about on ebay etc.
I saw a great site called ASTROBASE but the choice of player types has confused me a little!
I'd like to stick with one type of style and don't really want to mix my HW with LW and Zombies etc. And now I see that the bases seem to be very varied too!!!
I'm very much a 'curler' when it comes to playing and I've noticed there are some very flat bases out there.
I was wondering whether or not these HW replicas are a good place to start ...

http://www.astrobase.it/easystore/index ... cod=110051" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

... as they would have all the teams available (unlike when I was collecting as a kid when you'd be hard pressed to find a third of what was on the team chart).
Has anyone had any experince of these replica HW's? Are they the same feel as the originals?
Thanks for this thread as it has brought my attention to what there is to choose from.
One thing I am certain of, the goals. I will definitely hope to get a set of these beauties with real cotton netting ...

http://www.astrobase.it/easystore/sched ... edaid=1489" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

they look beautiful and a shabby pair of goals always used to be my biggest complaint. I used to hate how the plastic posts bent backwards on most of them once you'd drawing pinned them down!

matteo
Apprentice

Postby matteo » 24 Jan 2012, 18:32

Welcome to the forum TheRotherhamFlicker.

The Astrobase site is very slick and professional looking - unfortunately the products I've seen don't have the same qualities. The biggest problem being you never know quite what you are going to get. See the review thread by Persija88 above for a detailed look at some of the Astrobase HW ranges.

If you want HW replicas then you're far better off with either Santiago Table Soccer http://www.santiagotablesoccer.piczo.com/?cr=1 or
Top Spin http://www.ttwin63.it/home.html http://www.topspinsoccer.it/index.html

There are other options - ReplayHW, Kick-Off, and of course the various astrobase soccer3D HW ranges. However most people on here would go for Top Spin or Santiago - wisdom of crowds and all that.

As for the Astrobase goals I have no idea but if you haven't seen Subbuteoworld then they have a large selection and are also having their January sale at the moment - so that might be worth a look.

TheRotherhamFlicker

Postby TheRotherhamFlicker » 24 Jan 2012, 23:30

Thanks for the helpful info, Matteo. Sounds great. :)

Persija88
Forum Newbie

Postby Persija88 » 26 Jan 2012, 05:59

Hi R'Flicker. Welcome.
I agree with Matteo. Top Spin and Santiago will serve you well if you do not want to collect and play with original Subbuteo HWs. Personally I prefer Top Spin though they are a bit more expensive and a bit harder to come by. I do have lots of both. There are several guys on the forum who sell Santiago figures and they do look really good in the dressed up boxes that people sell. Search 'subbuteo santiago' on ebay.co.uk and you'll get a good idea of what's available. Santiago figures are a little lighter than original HWs and some people weigh them down with a little blob of blu-tac inside the washer, which works very well. Up to you of course...
If you are looking for a box set, I can recommend the new Top Spin Club Edition.
Incidentally, my review, which Matteo refers to, was of the Soccer 3D HW figures. I have not yet bought or seen the new replica range you asked about.
As for goals, I use either metal goals or Subbuteo world cup goals. When I first got back into Subbuteo, with memories of squashed goals still fresh in mind, I took the plunge on a great looking (and expensive) set of metal goals. They are nice. Now, however, we play on the dining table and not the floor so the risk of breakages is much reduced. I don’t think metal goals are necessary. With metal goals, when you hit the post with a good solid shot the ball will roll all the way down the other end of the pitch, bounce onto the chair and then onto the wooden floor before rolling into the kitchen and under the wine fridge. At least it does with my kids’ shots.
Cheers!
Simon

TheRotherhamFlicker

Postby TheRotherhamFlicker » 05 Feb 2012, 00:48

Hi R'Flicker. Welcome.
With metal goals, when you hit the post with a good solid shot the ball will roll all the way down the other end of the pitch, bounce onto the chair and then onto the wooden floor before rolling into the kitchen and under the wine fridge.

Good point that, thanks. I know this doesn't happen with the plastic ones and, like you, I've always played on table tops (well, at least since 1981) :lol:

ESSGEE

Postby ESSGEE » 05 Feb 2012, 11:57

The goals you mention are certainly attractive, Rotherham Flicker, but have noticed that a lot of paint chips off them. I think perhaps, they are not primed with a suitable primer prior to finishing? Although, I could be wrong and, others may well tell you that they haven't experienced the same problem I have?

Have you come across these yet?

http://www.bolognatigers.com/biemme/tab ... /goals.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tartan

Postby Tartan » 17 Feb 2012, 14:12

I'm wondering whether things have changed drastically since the original post was made, because the 2 Total Soccer teams we have here (Brazil World Cup 2010 and last year's Inter) are easily the best painted of all the "mass-produced" brands. Complete with badges etc.

The bases are pants mind.

Return to “General and Collecting Topics”