Old Toy & Subbuteo Shops

The place to for general Subbuteo threads.
up the boro
Grand Master

Old Toy & Subbuteo Shops

Post by up the boro » 04 Sep 2011, 12:25

i used to get my subbuteo here when i was a lad, used to be on Stockton High Street, sadly this picture was taken just before it closed down

I remeber all the teams being on a high shelf and all the boxed sets being at low level :D
It all seems very easy, this revolution game
But when you start to really play things won't be quite the same
Your intellectual theories on how it's going to be
Don't seem to take into account the true reality

up the boro
Grand Master

Re: Old Toy & Subbuteo Shops

Post by up the boro » 04 Sep 2011, 12:28

This one in Middlesbrough was more of a model shop, but it did sell Subbuteo
Do my fellow collectors have any pictures of old shops selling subbuteo?

alan porter

Post by alan porter » 04 Sep 2011, 14:37

reeds @ redcar and also saltburn had a good selection upstairs and of course woolco's in thornaby :)

felsner

Post by felsner » 04 Sep 2011, 15:18

Here is mine.
Right in the center of Florence and is there since 1932.
Here in 1972 i bought my first display edition.

jd1973
Semi-Pro

Post by jd1973 » 04 Sep 2011, 15:50

I remember Leslie Brown well....was lightweights in my day though.

Romer Parish in Middlesbrough was Subbuteo heaven.

Also remember two sport shops in Wetherby stocking Subbuteo in the late 80's - one in the square next to the Three Legs, and one right next door to the Angel.
Only the following to go for a 1-100 full house:

Steve
Forum Newbie

Post by Steve » 04 Sep 2011, 16:20

Tom Lindar's Sport & Gun shop in North Street, Leighton Buzzard. I can't find any pictures on the web of the frontage.

Bought my first heavyweight team from there in about '68. From memory there was never a huge stock, but enough to keep me spending my pocket money.

9/11 per team back then.

I used to buy other bits when on family holidays to Devon in the early '70's. The shop in Torwood Street, Torquay, was a sports shop owned by Mike Sangster the '60's tennis player.

rigger67

Post by rigger67 » 04 Sep 2011, 16:49

I bought my first Club Edition in Youngsters in Portswood, Southampton. It had two unusual teams in it : Valenciennes (150) and what I believe was either a version of Nantes (142) with white shorts but without the green bands across the shirt, or possibly a Cape Town (115) but I'm 99% sure there was no cuff trim on it. As I recall it was a simple yellow-white-yellow strip on yellow discs and white bases. The reason I'm guessing it was actually Nantes is because of the other team - it seemed like a set destined for the French market to me :?

I used to buy most of my teams from Oswald Bailey's in Southampton after that. I don't know how the combination of camping equipment and Subbuteo came about but they had the best selection in town, anyway ... :grin:

MrS

Post by MrS » 04 Sep 2011, 17:05

I wonder if anybody bought any at Harrods. I have a box with a sales sticker from Harrods on it. Is a 102.

and at 52p

glenantony
Apprentice

Post by glenantony » 04 Sep 2011, 17:57

What a great thread!
I got a lot of my teams from Langleys in the Arcade in Norwich, my home city - a rarity in that the shop is still going - but the best ones came when we went on holidays to Great Yarmouth. There was a sports shop there that had every team in the window and I was usually allowed to pick a couple as presents and also spend my own money on one or two more. This allowed me to indulge my NASL and Bundesliga fascinations, building a nice collection of both in the classic HWs.
Finally I did buy a couple of teams from Harrods on another family trip - a HW Argentina and a zombie West Germany (possibly the first one I had) in 1978 after the World Cup.
Wish there was still a shop where you could just look at every HW in the window,,,,,,,,,,and where they cost 75p.

tamig

Post by tamig » 04 Sep 2011, 18:01

I used to get most of my gear from a toy shop called Petersons in Musselburgh. One half of the shop was all toys and games and it must have stretched back a good 40 yards or so. It was a big shop. The other side of the shop was full of bikes - Choppers, Grifters, Tomahawks (for the little uns) and racing bikes.

Their Subbuteo display was fantastic. Rows and rows of team boxes stacked about 15 high and the orgasmic team display under the glass counter. I used to drool over that. Behind the counter they had all the accessories neatly stacked. You could get almost any item from the catalogue in there. I bought most of my teams for 60p a pop and only wish I'd bought so many more. Unfortunately girls came along and they soon became a drain on my Sunday paper round cash :roll:

Nigel75

Post by Nigel75 » 04 Sep 2011, 18:06

Hi

"Memories, pressed between the pages of my mind
Memories, sweetened through the ages just like wine,
Memories, memories"

I was given my first Subby set by my Mum and Dad for Christmas in the early eighties. But any money I had was spent on Subby at Worrickers Toy Shop in Barking. (no pics though)

I especially remember buying a Brighton L/W for me, Sheffield Utd L/W for my younger brother with a pack of three orange Tango's with my birthday money.

Somethings havnt changed I was 36 two days ago and with money given to me I have ordered 2 teams from Calum and a ref 79 from Mark Cherry.

Happy memories and happy days now

up the boro
Grand Master

Post by up the boro » 04 Sep 2011, 18:34

Great stuff lads :D wonder if we can all have a dig about on google images and get some more scans of sports shops as well as toy :D

Mr Flick

Post by Mr Flick » 04 Sep 2011, 18:46

There used to be a toyshop called Chambers in Green Street, just opposite Upton Park station about a 1/4 mile from West Ham football ground. I bought my first Subbuteo there, the base set with cardboard figures and no pitch for around ten shillings (50p). That must have been around the mid-sixties, and Chambers and Subbuteo saw quite a bit of my pocket money for a while after that.

MrS

Post by MrS » 04 Sep 2011, 19:08

I seem to remember buying teams in a run of the mill sports shop. It was in Altrincham. Anyone else remember sports shops selling subbuteo items?

barrychuckle
Seasoned Professional

Post by barrychuckle » 04 Sep 2011, 19:11

This was our old toy shop Setchfields at the bottom of Poole High Street near the Quay. It was either buy some ragworms from the bait shop a couple of doors away and go fishing on the quay or go to the toy shop. I seem to remember fishing won most of the time :Doh:
Attachments
10493123.jpg
10493123.jpg (50.5 KiB) Viewed 3744 times

Return to “General and Collecting Topics”