Old Toy & Subbuteo Shops

The place to for general Subbuteo threads.
Mr Flick

Re: Old Toy & Subbuteo Shops

Post by Mr Flick » 08 Feb 2012, 21:53

Gullseye wrote:
Mr Flick wrote:There used to be a toyshop called Chambers in Green Street, just opposite Upton Park station about a 1/4 mile from West Ham football ground. I bought my first Subbuteo there, the base set with cardboard figures and no pitch for around ten shillings (50p). That must have been around the mid-sixties, and Chambers and Subbuteo saw quite a bit of my pocket money for a while after that.

I just bought a ref 7 with a Chambers sticker
Blimey Gullseye, that must have been in someone's loft for quite a few years!

cityfan247
ISF Subscriber 2019-2020
ISF Subscriber 2019-2020

Post by cityfan247 » 09 Feb 2012, 19:47

my Subbuteo buying as a kid was mid 70's into the early 80's.

I was a right spoilt kid back then. I remember I used to buy a team almost every week ( if I'd been good- and I normally was !!). Living in Cleethorpes near the Grimsby Town ground I had the choice of 3 great stores that stocked subbuteo - all within walking distance.

My fav was Loftus- sadly no more it closed about 10 years ago- I presume the guy retired.. A brilliant model shop a couple of streets away from Blundell Park on Grimsby Road. great shop- i can almost still smell it- it had a certain model shop smell- whatever that is. Stocked Hornby, Scalelectrix, Revell/Hornby models and of course Subbuteo. The only down side was the Subbuteo was behind the counter stacked on shelves so i dont recall you were able to go through them yourself and open them up. I used to make a list up from the catalogue and see what they had in. They often had unusual teams- i bought a Haiti there and a 129 St pauli

next up was Ramsdens superstore which had a massive toy department upstairs ( it is still there as is the Toy section- sadly no Subbuteo) Bought loads of teams from here many of which i still have complete with price stickers- most 75-90p. Tended to stock the more common teams but you could rifle through them and open them up and hold the figures etc- tremendous. Still have a 206 Coventry in the 'New Coventry' long box bought from there and a 'New Burnley' named box 170 with the 'V'

Finally Craske & Smiths on Cleethorpe Road in Grimsby. I think this was a general sports shop which also socked Subbuteo- Again seemed to stock more unusual teams- bought Zaire here and a Cardiff 205 irecall . I also remember they had 'spare' players to buy- almost every team you could think of.ACE. Again sadly this store closed oh must be 20 odd years ago.

happy days indeed :D

adrianf

Post by adrianf » 10 Feb 2012, 07:45

Here is mine, Dales Sports in Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent. It was a sports shop located opposite the 'spikey man' in the main commercial centre of Stoke. As you walked in, the teams were all located on shelves in front of you and I used to spend hours perusing which team to buy.

Great thread, great memories
Attachments
dale_sports.jpg
dale_sports.jpg (23.51 KiB) Viewed 1497 times

ianb

Post by ianb » 11 Feb 2012, 21:08

in the 70's got all my stuff from brody's sports shop on bethnal green road london

Focus On
Grand Master

Post by Focus On » 12 Feb 2012, 09:32

We had 4 in Bedford
Adkins Sports and guns - now a cash exchange (poor persons shop) - this was the shop, stadiums, poo load of teams, box sets ect
had a big 'we stock Subbuteo' sticker on the door

Bedford Sports -now Close Encounters (!!??) - the shop next to it on right used to be a walkway
back to a car park at the back (ie its been filled in with a shop)
how many teams did i open on the way back to my dads Stag car back in the day down that passage :wub:
then get told off to 'get in the car' as i stood there transfixed with my latest team colours and in a state of semi coma-a slap usually bought me round
remember in summer this shop had so many wire baskets full of footballs and clothes ect it was hard to get into it or out of it due to so many people in the way
also sold replica kits and pennants, footy scarves, mugs ect-brilliant shop opened by Gordon Banks around 1971
now like i say for the braindead

Longhurst and Skinners upstairs- now a pub, chav one too, good for a grab a granny night
later on they opened a separate toy dept in a new small shop almost opposite Adkins (remember Scalextric, Super striker and Subbuteo in there)
Have included a pic of it when it caught fire way way back, hard to find a 70s pic :angry:

Woolworths - now vacant or it was two years ago.Had toys therefore Subbuteo, rubbish selection
Bored to FLICK

Focus On
Grand Master

Post by Focus On » 12 Feb 2012, 09:43

just to add that Cafe Bliss does an excellent 'all day breakfast roll', been in there loads of times LOL
a couple of years ago there was a bird worked in there that you'd 'have to'
Bored to FLICK

cityfan247
ISF Subscriber 2019-2020
ISF Subscriber 2019-2020

Post by cityfan247 » 12 Feb 2012, 12:09

Focus On wrote:just to add that Cafe Bliss does an excellent 'all day breakfast roll', been in there loads of times LOL
?? Do you mean tip her Mark ;-)

spurs1975

Post by spurs1975 » 12 Feb 2012, 12:13

mark

i know all the shops you have posted photos of in bedford , when i am seeing customers in bedford i always have a walk round asthere is at least 10 charity shops to hunt in

Focus On
Grand Master

Post by Focus On » 12 Feb 2012, 17:01

cityfan247 wrote:
Focus On wrote:just to add that Cafe Bliss does an excellent 'all day breakfast roll', been in there loads of times LOL
oh yeah, you'd give her your tip alright :wub:

Spurs, mate Bedford is ALL charity shops and pubs
hope the local Indian and Pakistani community like drinking and buying 2nd hand jigsaws eh.... :lol!:
Bored to FLICK

cityfan247
ISF Subscriber 2019-2020
ISF Subscriber 2019-2020

Post by cityfan247 » 12 Feb 2012, 20:09

Focus On wrote:
cityfan247 wrote:
oh yeah, you'd give her your tip alright :wub:

Spurs, mate Bedford is ALL charity shops and pubs
hope the local Indian and Pakistani community like drinking and buying 2nd hand jigsaws eh.... :lol!:
:lol:

Heavyweight021
Grand Master

Post by Heavyweight021 » 12 Feb 2012, 22:02

rigger67 wrote:I bought my first Club Edition in Youngsters in Portswood, Southampton. It had two unusual teams in it : Valenciennes (150) and what I believe was either a version of Nantes (142) with white shorts but without the green bands across the shirt, or possibly a Cape Town (115) but I'm 99% sure there was no cuff trim on it. As I recall it was a simple yellow-white-yellow strip on yellow discs and white bases. The reason I'm guessing it was actually Nantes is because of the other team - it seemed like a set destined for the French market to me :?
A team answering to this description was sold by a member of this Forum within the last couple of years.

Focus On
Grand Master

Post by Focus On » 14 Feb 2012, 17:49

i have one (142) with black shorts
i think it looks ok
Bored to FLICK

ralphtheclaret

Post by ralphtheclaret » 14 Feb 2012, 18:01

I wish you hadn't started this thread I'm driven half mad trying to find some images :roll: :angry: :lol: and since I'm clearly half mad already at this rate I should be completely barking by weekend at the latest...

Focus On
Grand Master

Post by Focus On » 15 Feb 2012, 07:09

LOL
i found it very hard to find these pics
esp as i had no clue as to the addresses or name of current premises on a couple
Bored to FLICK

SweSaint
Forum Newbie

Post by SweSaint » 04 Jan 2019, 13:38

I bought a LW 665 Luton Town, 1988 Littlewood's Cup Winners from Northfields Model Shop a while back and when I opened the box there was a small card from Patrick's Toys in Fulham. I did a search on Google and it seems like it's still in business. I guess that the Subbuteo is long gone though.

Return to “General and Collecting Topics”