Old Toy & Subbuteo Shops

The place to for general Subbuteo threads.
footiebadgebloke
Semi-Pro

Re: Old Toy & Subbuteo Shops

Post by footiebadgebloke » 04 Jan 2019, 18:37

adrianf wrote:
10 Feb 2012, 07:45
Here is mine, Dales Sports in Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent. It was a sports shop located opposite the 'spikey man' in the main commercial centre of Stoke. As you walked in, the teams were all located on shelves in front of you and I used to spend hours perusing which team to buy.

Great thread, great memories
Wow. Dales Sports, I bought Subbuteo Test Cricket from there in the late 70's although I was more a regular in Abbott & Mould in the Arcade, Newcastle Under Lyme, Billy Mould had been Stokes captain in the late 30's.

Paul
Apprentice

Post by Paul » 05 Mar 2019, 21:55

Excellent thread, this. It's an old thread, but one worth keeping going. (Swesaint recently resurrected it. Nice one :thumbsup: ).

I used to buy most of my Subbuteo stuff (hw teams, mainly) from two independent shops in Barnsley. Midwood Sports and John Briton's toys; each shop located on Shambles Street in the town centre. Both shops, coincidentally, closed down in the same year, 1997. (There was a team on Ebay a couple of weeks ago with an orange John Briton's price sticker on the end of the box; a ref. 222, I think it was).

Also bought a few teams from Cravens in Wakefield, near the bus station, and a few from Suggs Sports in Sheffield. Both closed long ago. (Suggs were still selling heavies in the short splash box in the mid 80's. They had a fair few teams in stock at the time. I bought a couple; should have bought them all, with hindsight).
Carpet football sucks.

rossobantam
Forum Newbie

Post by rossobantam » 05 Mar 2019, 22:44

Suggs in Doncaster for me, top floor of Arndale Centre. They started out in Liverpool IIRC (2 brothers; later split into 2 separate companies) Donny branch closed early 2000's
One of the brothers played cricket for England, as well as 1st Div footy (Sheff Wed?)

lloydie1109
Seasoned Professional

Post by lloydie1109 » 06 Mar 2019, 06:16

For me there were a few but the main ones were, Lightfoots in Rhyl, Gallys in Chester, and jewels in Rhyl

spudski
Grand Master

Post by spudski » 06 Mar 2019, 13:30

When I get teams with named price labels on, I always google the name to see where the team originally came from.
Surprising how many forums are out there that talk about old shops in various Towns. And old pictures to view of the old shops.

Gullseye
Grand Master

Post by Gullseye » 08 Mar 2019, 08:06

Always nice to get a team with the original shop label, the favourite in my collection is West Ham which has ' Chambers Upton Park'. I used to buy my teams at Hove Sports Depot, unfortunately I have none of my original stuff. So if anyone has any teams with that label and wants to sell look no further.

Return to “General and Collecting Topics”