2011 - A Collecting Year in Review

The place to for general Subbuteo threads.
MahlerOO5
Grand Master

2011 - A Collecting Year in Review

Post by MahlerOO5 » 01 Jan 2012, 12:07

2011 was possibly the quietest year I’ve had on the collecting front since maybe 2004/05 (when I took 8 months off the hobby)

This year it is mainly a function of the list of items I need getting shorter (and therefore items being harder to find) plus some economic uncertainty making collecting, at times, less of a priority.

I also find it harder at times to summon the energy to trawl through ebay listings, and I’ve missed a few things that I should have been in the running to win. Never mind.

It’s been a particularly quiet year on the HW rugby and OHW football fronts. I might have picked up one or two items early in the year, but I have a hunch said items were actually towards the tail end of 2010. So, the main interest has been with HW footballers and celluloids.

Probably the main excitement has been in completing the 272-280 run of Portuguese teams, with one or two other wins in the 220+ range. In the 1-190, there was only the 124 to report, leaving the 111 to get this year, hopefully.

Looking forward to 2012, I am hoping to make some progress on all fronts, especially rugby and OHWs for the reason that this year was so quiet. In terms of 1-322, my top five wishlist is probably as follows, in no particular order:

224 – 237 – 309 – 294 – 228

On the forum front, while there have clearly been some “downs”, the main “up” has to be the success (so far) of the ISF solo league, which is now always the first place I go when I log on and which has generated a lot of fun and positive energy. Hopefully it will go to a successful conclusion and even more players for Season 2 after the summer.

Cheers everyone for all your support and contributions. Have a Happy New Year.

Steve
HW teams needed- 237
OHW; 37,38
RugbyHW: 9,24,27,29,31,33,36 Celluloids: 28 green;39;55

up the boro
Grand Master

Re: 2011 - A Collecting Year in Review

Post by up the boro » 01 Jan 2012, 13:07

Good thread subject Steve, my collecting is now solely Cricket & Rugby, I have everything i wanted for the football, main highlight was a excellent condition floodlit cricket edition, I love SSG but am drawn more to my Airfix collecting (cheaper and more scope) :D as Steve has stated we have had a few bumps on the way this year, however the forum continues to go from strength to strength, well done the moderators over the odd issues they have had to deal with.
It all seems very easy, this revolution game
But when you start to really play things won't be quite the same
Your intellectual theories on how it's going to be
Don't seem to take into account the true reality

MahlerOO5
Grand Master

Post by MahlerOO5 » 01 Jan 2012, 13:37

Terry

Re Airfix - I'm putting a new post in the Retro section...
HW teams needed- 237
OHW; 37,38
RugbyHW: 9,24,27,29,31,33,36 Celluloids: 28 green;39;55

SFC-Chris

Post by SFC-Chris » 01 Jan 2012, 15:29

For me, it was my first year of collecting ... and in fact, that has only been in the last two months.

In that time, I have purchased 28 LW's and decided to only collect LW's - simply because cost stops me from being able to purchase many HW's. All of the teams have cost me £8 or less and so I am very happy with my collection so far. My best bargains have been getting a 698 Everton, 729 Man Utd and a 740 Tottenham for £1.25 each.

So far, as I have only bought more common ref's, I have only bought teams with no weak ankles, reglues etc, and reference label in place. As time goes on my stance on this may change.

Overall, a very good year, or should I say two months.

Nigel75

Post by Nigel75 » 01 Jan 2012, 15:56

Hi

I agree with Up the Boro - great thread.

This was also my first year of collecting and after some mistakes I realised that I prefered to collect box sets rather than teams and in that time have collected 32. My faves being the 1972 World Cup Edition and my German Europa Cup box set.

There is no doubt the excitement I have had at auctions, boot sales, charity shops and responses to my ads has been fantastic, that moment when you see that famous green colour and you have found a diamond, but on the flip side the disappointment of spotting that colour green on a packed table at a boot sale then discovering its not Subby or find some Subby in poor condition.

But it hasnt put me off. I effing love collecting Subby, so I raise a glass to all my fellow collectors and heres to a prosperous New Year.

Good luck everyone. :D

subbuteokilgallon

Post by subbuteokilgallon » 01 Jan 2012, 18:25

Hi,
2011 was my first full year of playing Subbuteo and so far so good :D

odoiporos
Grand Master

Post by odoiporos » 01 Jan 2012, 19:35

That’s a really interesting topic and would be nice to hear nice stories :clap:

I have to admit that 2011 has been good to me. :D

Got some refs that I have been looking for couple of years like ref 143 (blue version, one dark skin player), ref 149 Delacoste sticker (Yougoslavie) Yugoslavia, ref 249 (one dark skin player), ref 251 (Sealed with 2 dark skin players), ref 297 box (Italian edition 507, have been looking for this box for almost 3 years!!! :-\ ), ref 301 on orange/black bases, a C163 ENPS Cup Medium :D and a Subbuteo favour statuette ref 31 Blackburn Rovers :D .

I have been lucky to buy these teams and accessories from ISF members or really known collectors or from people that had nothing to do with Subbuteo and got some serious bargains.

Can’t complain for sure. :)

Really hoping to get in my hands 2-3 of the teams I am missing to complete my collection.

Happy New Year EVERYBODY!!!! Really wishing all the best for 2012 :D :clap: :clap: :clap:
Stefano

NicolasP
Professional

Post by NicolasP » 01 Jan 2012, 19:51

2011 was my rookie year as well; started in April, joined the forum in August.
So far so good, as I have made advancements, both in collecting and playing.
I've built good relations with people whom I can play with on mostly a weekly basis.
My collection isn't huge or anything, but I enjoy anything I have and wish for the best.

Happy new year everybody! :P
Not looking for that damned 21 anymore :clap: :clap:

wakey321
Semi-Pro

Post by wakey321 » 01 Jan 2012, 22:06

Well what a year 2011 has been for me in terms of collecting Subbuteo!

Started collecting in January and have since acquired over 80 HW teams , most of which are common refs or different base combos of common ref teams.
Have picked up some good gems though including a nice 23,56(white version)162,170,78 and 79!

Have really enjoyed reading the topics on here and speaking to many of you about or great hobby!

My hopes for 2012 are that my collection keeps on growing and that ill make it to some of the meets aswell

Vikash
Grand Master

Post by Vikash » 02 Jan 2012, 11:15

This was probably the leanest year for me in terms of items bought. Just the La Leggenda teams, a few off some sellers here and Ebay, and LPM. Havent been visiting to post office as often as I did in previous years. It is kinda a good feeling though :wink: Means I have most of the items I have ever wanted :razz:

Looking forward to seeing what Netcam have in store for Subbuteo :)
How about them transparent dangling carrots
How about that ever elusive kudo

Vikash
Grand Master

Post by Vikash » 02 Jan 2012, 11:16

Oh and Steve, thanks for posting this topic :wink:

Jon Rosten
Grand Master

Post by Jon Rosten » 02 Jan 2012, 12:08

picked up some rarer hw stuff this year including new soton,new hearts,green plymouth,swansea 2nds(special),sampdoria with black shorts ( or Nice?),mauve shorted 123,333,348,290 (in ref box of course!),230,307.
also type named ref boxed derby county with trim.

completed my 1 - 190 with all genuine originals having weeded out some repaints that were in there.i am 99% confident now that i dont have any repaints in my 1 - 190.

also some more base combo variations.

also mint world cup boxset was probably the highlight as the basically new condition dwarfed anything else this year that i acquired.
also got cricket and rugby sets this year and a few rugby teams.

i dipped into collecting OHW's but then changed my mind and sold them off.

this year i would like to pick up a white C.palace as well as some more 220+ hw ref teams but i know it wont come cheap!

adrianf

Post by adrianf » 02 Jan 2012, 13:11

Came bakc to collecting with a little 'fighting fund' that the wife had allowed. Managed to build up a nice little collection of some 125 teams with a few nice rarer teams to boot. The thrill of being back is great and I am loving it.

Vikash
Grand Master

Post by Vikash » 02 Jan 2012, 13:39

adrianf wrote:Came bakc to collecting with a little 'fighting fund' that the wife had allowed. Managed to build up a nice little collection of some 125 teams with a few nice rarer teams to boot. The thrill of being back is great and I am loving it.
Little collection, he says :wink: Nice one, Adee :awe:

skell
ISF Subscriber 2019-2020
ISF Subscriber 2019-2020

Post by skell » 02 Jan 2012, 14:58

I have had a major year in terms of collecting and loved every minute of it despite the well documented costs :wink:
Unlike JR,well done by the way bud,I am still shy of the completion of the 1-190.
So I am still on the look out for a 116,128,144 and some of the high numbers.
Looking also for some more wacky base combo's......here is to 2012 :guiness:

Return to “General and Collecting Topics”