Behaviour during tournaments.

The place to for general Subbuteo threads.
Long Shot
Seasoned Professional

Re: Behaviour during tournaments.

Postby Long Shot » 19 Dec 2014, 11:37

Check your e-mail long shot when you get a chance.
Will do. Havnt been on the net for a week btw.
" And surely now........."

Sub7
Apprentice

Postby Sub7 » 19 Dec 2014, 22:09

In " Old Subbuteo " tournaments you dont get much in the way of bad behaviour Sub7. Its very sporting and the atmosphere is good. There are odd exceptions. I played against a young chap under the age of 12 in Maidenhead and his approach left a bit to be desired. But he was only a kid so allowances must be made. I often feel a bit sheepish ( embarrassed ) when I score against people. But that happens so rarely in tournaments that its not really a problem. The FISTF game is totally different however and bad manners seem to be de riguer, I gather.
So I understand they are two completely different scenes. I don't think I could stand the modern game scene. I would feel agitated all the time.
I have played snooker for a couple of years and played local tournaments. You don't want to know what I had to cope with. Not just with opponents. Also with club memnbers, team mates and even with personel behind the bar.

Long Shot
Seasoned Professional

Postby Long Shot » 22 Dec 2014, 13:18

My advice to you is as follows Sub 7. If you want hassle free Subby in a fun and friendly environment, play Subbuteo. Also known as " OS " Old Subbuteo, or Retro or Advanced Rules. Not only is it the original game we all love ( with the odd change depending which code / where you play ) but its a good vibe. See the Tournament section for details. You should put yer name down for Maidenhead, theres still places available. You might get the odd hammering, but sure what odds ?

Sub7
Apprentice

Postby Sub7 » 22 Dec 2014, 23:06

I would like to play at Maidenhead, but because of personal circumstances I can't go abroad. I also have to be carefull with money for the time being.
But in the future who knows.

Long Shot
Seasoned Professional

Postby Long Shot » 23 Dec 2014, 09:55

Grand.

George Best jr.
Professional

Postby George Best jr. » 28 Dec 2014, 16:43

My advice to you is as follows Sub 7. If you want hassle free Subby in a fun and friendly environment, play Subbuteo. Also known as " OS " Old Subbuteo, or Retro or Advanced Rules. Not only is it the original game we all love ( with the odd change depending which code / where you play ) but its a good vibe. See the Tournament section for details. You should put yer name down for Maidenhead, theres still places available. You might get the odd hammering, but sure what odds ?
YEP, excellent advise!

Sub7
Apprentice

Postby Sub7 » 25 Feb 2015, 13:37

Guys,

Have you seen the half our documentary on youtube about Subbuteo? It seems that during Modern table football tournaments people sometimes hit eachother. That is really weird. :cry:

Long Shot
Seasoned Professional

Postby Long Shot » 25 Feb 2015, 16:43

There are some assh@les out there.

Mike Parnaby
Forum Newbie

Postby Mike Parnaby » 03 Mar 2015, 14:00

I play more of the 'modern' version of the game and it is not as bad as it is being made out. Yes, of course there are some players who get over excited and shout when they score, but not that many. And it does tend to be our continental friends that are the biggest culprits. What we must understand though is that for these players, Subbuteo is not a game, it is more than that, more than just a sport, it is a real passion. Their clubs are very serious about what they do and so the pressures, and rewards, are much greater for them. So this shouting is a release of emotion that is in some ways understandable. Look at an Italian celebrating a goal in the World Cup of real football and his face is often contorted in a scream, whereas the Brits just shake hands! (I know that is pushing it a bit far!)
Myself, I prefer not to shout. I may utter a "yes" or "get in!" now and then but nothing that can be considered offensive or trying to upset my opponent.
In big events, especially team events, the shouting does get out of hand though. I have to concede on that one.

What cannot be condoned is violence and yes it sometimes does happen. Not often, but it does. It is usually when two bad tempered players try to outdo each other in influencing the ref and the verbal abuse escalates to physical. Again, the result means so much to these people that they lose all sense of perspective.

But what I would like to point out is that this behaviour is not widespread and does not reflect the modern game. I play the FISTF game and also a flats game so sit in both camps. My own view is that the FISTF lads tend to take it more seriously (win at all costs), whereas the old Subbuteo and flats lads see the game as a social activity to be cherished and enjoyed. Each to their own I suppose.
To finish, I should add that I myself am becoming more drawn to the social side of things and playing for pleasure rather than for status, ranking points, trophies etc.

Sub7
Apprentice

Postby Sub7 » 03 Mar 2015, 15:31

[quote="Mike Parnaby"
In big events, especially team events, the shouting does get out of hand though. I have to concede on that one.

What cannot be condoned is violence and yes it sometimes does happen. Not often, but it does. It is usually when two bad tempered players try to outdo each other in influencing the ref and the verbal abuse escalates to physical. Again, the result means so much to these people that they lose all sense of perspective.

[/quote]
Reading this I wonder why in professional snooker and darts things are different. It seems that there is not enough distance between the organisers, referees and the players. I understand that a lot of referees are players who also play in the tournament itself. Also people of the organisation play in the tournament they help organising.
Anyway, if a snooker player behaves in a ranking tournament as you describe (influencing the referee and even become violent) this guy will be banned for a long time. Taking the game seriously does not justify that kind of behaviour. Try to beat your opponent with skill and tactics I should say.

lloydie1109
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber

Postby lloydie1109 » 03 Mar 2015, 17:03

Basically what Mike is saying is that most of the trouble is caused by Latino passion

barrychuckle
Seasoned Professional

Postby barrychuckle » 03 Mar 2015, 17:41

I can be guilty of this, but so can the one of the other guys I play with.
Funnily enough, the thing that makes me madder is when people just don't react after they score against you - and yes, I'm looking at you, Barrychuckle :D
I would actually PREFER it if he shouted GET IN MY SON! but he usually just grunts like he expected to put one past me ... :mad:
Just seen this. Rigger I'd have a very sore throat by the end of the evening if I shouted every time I scored ;-)

lloydie1109
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber

Postby lloydie1109 » 03 Mar 2015, 18:43

Funnily enough, the thing that makes me madder is when people just don't react after they score against you - and yes, I'm looking at you, Barrychuckle :D
I would actually PREFER it if he shouted GET IN MY SON! but he usually just grunts like he expected to put one past me ... :mad:
Just seen this. Rigger I'd have a very sore throat by the end of the evening if I shouted every time I scored ;-)

more so with polished bases!!!!!!!!!!!

barrychuckle
Seasoned Professional

Postby barrychuckle » 04 Mar 2015, 08:12

more so with polished bases!!!!!!!!!!!
Don't mention the flat bases :Doh:

rigger67
Seasoned Professional

Postby rigger67 » 04 Mar 2015, 08:49

Don't mention the flat bases
Alright, Mr Hasbro ... I've got two words for you, mate and the second one's " .. OFF !" :G

Return to “General and Collecting Topics”