Anyone seen this in the news ??

The place to for general Subbuteo threads.
rigger67
Seasoned Professional

Anyone seen this in the news ??

Postby rigger67 » 23 Apr 2015, 15:30

From the BBC site: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-be ... s-32410016

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Bletchley man receives Bolivian abuse over football kit design

A graphic designer has received "torrents of abuse" from South America over a picture of a new national football kit he sketched as a hobby.
Angelo Trofa, from Bletchley, said his design was inspired by the Whiphala flag which represents the indigenous population of Bolivia.
But some Bolivians, saying he should have "more respect", have posted nearly 200 abusive comments on social media.
"I didn't expect to cause such a huge outrage," the designer said.
"It's just a drawing of a football kit."
The 26-year-old, who has worked in fashion for the past three years, said he had dreamed of being a football kit designer since he was a child and it was a "bit of a geeky obsession".
He regularly puts designs on his blog and social media accounts.
'Ridiculous' reaction
After spending a month in the country earlier this year, he posted sketches of a new Bolivian kit on his Facebook page, with the away shirt inspired by the seven colours of the Whiphala flag.

The flag, which represents Andes natives and therefore about 60% of the country's population, was promoted to a national flag in 2009 and given equal status to the original Bolivian tricolour of red, yellow and green, the designer said.
"But the non-indigenous population disregard it and don't associate themselves with it," said Mr Trofa.
"So I expected a bit [of abuse] but it snowballed and got a bit silly.
"I received torrents of abuse - mainly from angry Bolivian men - people saying they would kill me if I went back and that I was designing for the Nazis. The reaction was ridiculous."
On Facebook, Juan Ignacio Abella said the eastern part of Bolivia "has no connection with this rainbow flag .... only red, yellow and green flag represents me".
Omar Ruiz said he should have "more respect for a country and its traditions".
But Amaru Villanueva, a director at the centre for social research of the Bolivian Vice Presidency, said it was a "storm in a teacup" and there was no suggestion that the shirt design would be taken up.
"Social media tends to amplify extreme opinions," he said. "Bolivia is such a diverse, multi-ethnic state that no matter what emblem you use, some people will feel left out."

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

There's a video on the site but I couldn't embed it here as it's flash, not YouTube.

Mad old kit, eh ??

:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: :crazyeyes:

Focus On
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber

Re: Anyone seen this in the news ??

Postby Focus On » 23 Apr 2015, 16:04

Mad kit, mad world....someone will ALWAYS be offended whatever people say and do, even if they pussy foot round an issue all PC and all that bollox...

i try to cut out the confusion or risktaking, and just go for totally offensive, this guarantees the ´offended´ satisfaction in FULL offension, not part.

three biggest probs that cause wars?
1.Religion
2.Territory
3.Women

NEVER has a war been started cause some bloke called another bloke down the road a C :roll:
Bored to FLICK

duncthehat
Seasoned Professional

Postby duncthehat » 23 Apr 2015, 16:18

Mad kit, mad world....someone will ALWAYS be offended whatever people say and do, even if they pussy foot round an issue all PC and all that bollox...

i try to cut out the confusion or risktaking, and just go for totally offensive, this guarantees the ´offended´ satisfaction in FULL offension, not part.

three biggest probs that cause wars?
1.Religion
2.Territory
3.Women

NEVER has a war been started cause some bloke called another bloke down the road a C :roll:
Think this should become my new facebook status !!

Focus On
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber

Postby Focus On » 23 Apr 2015, 17:14

feel free fella, you and i talk with the same lips, as do many...
Bored to FLICK

MahlerOO5
Grand Master

Postby MahlerOO5 » 23 Apr 2015, 19:59

TBH, if he designed that horrible kit he deserves a bit of abuse...
HW teams needed- 237
OHW; 37,38
RugbyHW: 9,24,27,29,31,33,36 Celluloids: 28 green;39;55

Focus On
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber

Postby Focus On » 24 Apr 2015, 04:30

True, it is horrible
Also, i know Bletchley well, its nr Bedford, this is prob the most exiting thing that ever happened there :roll:

Used to crack Nazi codes there in the war....one half decent cafe, a very good second hand cd shop and a railway station that was one of the first to be electrified and thats about it.

oh, and my mate Rob got touched up there by some perv while trainspotting circa 1976 :lol:
Bored to FLICK

ian_tambo
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber

Postby ian_tambo » 24 Apr 2015, 05:20

I quite like that kit-different;)

lewisdl
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber

Postby lewisdl » 24 Apr 2015, 05:32

True, it is horrible
Also, i know Bletchley well, its nr Bedford, this is prob the most exiting thing that ever happened there :roll:

Used to crack Nazi codes there in the war....one half decent cafe, a very good second hand cd shop and a railway station that was one of the first to be electrified and thats about it.

oh, and my mate Rob got touched up there by some perv while trainspotting circa 1976 :lol:
It's now been swallowed up by Milton Keynes, which, as everyone knows, is the hub of the universe.
A discussion is an exchange of knowledge, an argument is an exchange of ignorance.

rigger67
Seasoned Professional

Postby rigger67 » 24 Apr 2015, 06:39

I think just because we have the technology to make kits like that now, we should bear in mind we don't HAVE to make them.
Previously, say in 1968, they would've done it by stitching together different pieces of cloth like a bedspread - imagine how itchy that thing would've been to wear ?

Now, we can do anything with coloured designs ..

Take a look at the new US Ladies kit - I think we'll be seeing a lot more of the fading/blending colours on socks, shorts and shirts before long :

http://www.footballkitnews.com/wp-conte ... t-2015.jpg

Focus On
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber

Postby Focus On » 24 Apr 2015, 06:48

True, it is horrible

It's now been swallowed up by Milton Keynes, which, as everyone knows, is the hub of the universe.
yep, makes New York look like Luton
Bored to FLICK

MahlerOO5
Grand Master

Postby MahlerOO5 » 24 Apr 2015, 06:49

this is prob the most exiting thing that ever happened there :roll:
Some say it's where WW2 was won...

but I was stuck on a broken down train there for about 5 hours once... :angry:
HW teams needed- 237
OHW; 37,38
RugbyHW: 9,24,27,29,31,33,36 Celluloids: 28 green;39;55