Who Remember's Buying Your Very First Team...

The place to for general Subbuteo threads.
up the boro
Grand Master

Re: Who Remember's Buying Your Very First Team...

Post by up the boro » 12 Jun 2016, 07:51

newgolddream wrote:
Can even remember what I had for dinner last night. Life was so much better then.
A bit of a memory man are you?

Here is a old one but good...

A man from Liverpool, England was touring the USA on holiday and stopped in a remote bar in the hills of Nevada. He was chatting to the bartender when he spied an old Native American man sitting in the corner. He had tribal gear on, long white plaits, wrinkled face.

"Who's he?" asked the Liverpudlian.

"That's the Memory Man." said the bartender. "He knows everything, remembers everything. He can remember every face he's ever seen. He can remember any fact he hears or reads. Go and try him out."

So the Liverpudlian goes over, and thinking he won't know about English football, asks "Who won the 1965 FA Cup Final?".

"Liverpool" replies the Memory Man.

"Who did they beat?"

"Leeds" was the instant reply.

"And the score?"

"2-1."

"Who scored the winning goal?"

"Ian St. John" said the old man, without a hint of hesitation.

The Liverpudlian was knocked out by this and told everyone back home about the Memory Man when he got back.

A few years later he went back to the USA and tried to find the impressive Memory Man. Eventually he found the bar and sitting in the same seat was the old Native American, only this time he was older and even more wrinkled.

The Liverpudlian approached him with the greeting "How".

The Memory man looked up and said, "Diving header in the six yard box".
It all seems very easy, this revolution game
But when you start to really play things won't be quite the same
Your intellectual theories on how it's going to be
Don't seem to take into account the true reality

lionofludesch
ISF Subscriber 2019-2020
ISF Subscriber 2019-2020

Post by lionofludesch » 12 Jun 2016, 10:25

:lol!:

Like it, pal.
FIFA World Cuptipping competition
Winner 2010,, joint with Takis2014 and 2018

® :angry:

bigfatollyafcb
Forum Newbie

Post by bigfatollyafcb » 23 Oct 2016, 10:19

My first Subbuteo was the standard club edition around 1982,as it had Brazil and Spain on the front ,but disappointingly just the stock red and blue teams inside.
A few breakages ensued,so I think the first team I bought in a shop was a lightweight Liverpool.
At that time my team Bournemouth were in 3rd Division,so didn't really have a proper reference number.
My best memory was when my dad came home from work with a boxful of teams that a workmate had given to him,these were all heavyweights,from memory they were Zaire,Leeds,Bristol Rovers,Manchester United,Norwich,West Ham,Scotland and England in the coloured box.
I can remember being fascinated that the Zaire had all black players !!
My local shop was in a place called Westbourne,a suburb of Bournemouth,it was called 101 Toys.
I would take my pocket money there most Saturday mornings and buy Airfix and Subbuteo.
They had a mix of Heavyweights and Lightweights,and I always used to pick up the free catalogues and posters,many of which I still have.
I think I ended up with 20 odd teams and a few accessories,all of which I sold on ebay for a tidy sum about 8 years ago.
I only kept one team which I still have,Liverpool 363 LW, yellow with red pinstripes machine painted.
I do love coming on here though and looking at all the teams you guys have collected,all the anomalies,base combos etc.

duncthehat
Seasoned Professional

Post by duncthehat » 24 Oct 2016, 15:33

was lucky enough to get a world cup edition for my 10th birthday in 1974. Quickly bought Ref 13 68 and 16, think the 16 was first. Amongst my early buys was 174 175 and 176. Still got the teams albeit in poor condition on the whole. No boxes though. They are with me till i move on to play subby in the sky

barrychuckle
Seasoned Professional

Post by barrychuckle » 24 Oct 2016, 15:58

bigfatollyafcb wrote: My local shop was in a place called Westbourne,a suburb of Bournemouth,it was called 101 Toys.
I worked in Westbourne as a postie for about 10 years.

donsaverio
Forum Newbie

Post by donsaverio » 25 Oct 2016, 18:56

My first subbuteo item was a HW Basel team, ref 107, I bought from a stationery shop that used to be in Foggia, my hometown. Payd for that 2.200 lire.
Second was Lazio/Man.City, ref. 5.
Remember exactly the purchse scenes....1974.
After a while I received a continental box as a Xmas gift.
Gonna buy Basel again...sooner or later.
Cheers

krama
Seasoned Professional

Post by krama » 25 Oct 2016, 20:29

up the boro wrote:
newgolddream wrote:
Can even remember what I had for dinner last night. Life was so much better then.
A bit of a memory man are you?

Here is a old one but good...

A man from Liverpool, England was touring the USA on holiday and stopped in a remote bar in the hills of Nevada. He was chatting to the bartender when he spied an old Native American man sitting in the corner. He had tribal gear on, long white plaits, wrinkled face.

"Who's he?" asked the Liverpudlian.

"That's the Memory Man." said the bartender. "He knows everything, remembers everything. He can remember every face he's ever seen. He can remember any fact he hears or reads. Go and try him out."

So the Liverpudlian goes over, and thinking he won't know about English football, asks "Who won the 1965 FA Cup Final?".

"Liverpool" replies the Memory Man.

"Who did they beat?"

"Leeds" was the instant reply.

"And the score?"

"2-1."

"Who scored the winning goal?"

"Ian St. John" said the old man, without a hint of hesitation.

The Liverpudlian was knocked out by this and told everyone back home about the Memory Man when he got back.

A few years later he went back to the USA and tried to find the impressive Memory Man. Eventually he found the bar and sitting in the same seat was the old Native American, only this time he was older and even more wrinkled.

The Liverpudlian approached him with the greeting "How".

The Memory man looked up and said, "Diving header in the six yard box".
Excellent!!! :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :G :clap:

ian_tambo
Seasoned Professional

Post by ian_tambo » 30 Oct 2016, 11:02

Think my first teams were international teams- West Germany, Argentina, Holland, Wales then Liverpool and Leeds second. All from sports shop in Altringham by the market.

I started up comps with my mates- euro cup, world cup. Everything logged.

Still look back with regret atletting my mum give y collection away to her mates lad (the little poo)

kegart
Semi-Pro

Post by kegart » 30 Oct 2016, 16:11

As a 7 or 8 year old I got my first Subbuteo set for Christmas from Smiths toy shop on Regent Road in Salford. I remember my mum telling I could pick two teams to go with the boxed set and I chose Partick Thistle and Celtic. I guess the hooped designs must have caught my eye.

Smiths toy shop was the traditional old type of shop with dark wood and glass cabinets that had pull out draws with all the Subbuteo teams stored on end with the refs upright.

Happy Days.

Michael.

zulublue
Seasoned Professional

Post by zulublue » 21 Nov 2016, 15:40

Small privately owned toyshop in Birmingham , Sheldon in the Poolway shopping prescient . I cant remember the name of the place. Would have been 78ish , I got a 101 and 61 ,then that Christmas my parents brought me a stadium edition, I was secretly disappointed as I wanted a Munich set. I still have the stadium set a little battered but still loved. Happy times . Nice to be back.
Ute
KRO/SOTV

Return to “General and Collecting Topics”