World Cup 1990 Channel 4

The place to for general Subbuteo threads.
Sabre
Forum Newbie

Re: World Cup 1990 Channel 4

Postby Sabre » 09 Dec 2016, 21:53

Beautiful and thanks for posting! It's incredible how many people followed and so much interest around it! I live near the place where they played it...and the theme park doesn't exist anymore! So sad..times have changed too much..

Focus On
Grand Master

Postby Focus On » 10 Dec 2016, 13:58

:grin: Gracias
You Spanish?....very polite people too, not like the rude Italians and French and Germans
Bored to FLICK

Sabre
Forum Newbie

Postby Sabre » 10 Dec 2016, 17:47

I knew LOTS in Bedford mate, all dodgy
I sell to lots, most dodgy
Their postal system, corrupt and well dodgy
Their National football team, a disgrace to fair play football
Pizza take aways after a skinfull at 2am....again well dodgy
Also hairy birds at 18???...and WAY TOO MANY moustaches..
...and don't get me on the corrupt Catholic church/mafia institution that's been robbing and blackmailing since year dot, the original NWO :angry:

only plus points with Italians are their old film industry, the Giallos and gore films and police thrillers of the early 70's, and for this, ALL is forgiven :awe:

oh and roads, sanitation, pasta, reverse gear tanks, viaducts and the colour purple
Mate, don't be too harsh..we still do have some decent stuff..and for the football national team,well.. The 4 stars say it all... ;) :guiness:

Flickman
Forum Newbie

Postby Flickman » 10 Dec 2016, 17:55

:grin: Gracias
You Spanish?....very polite people too, not like the rude Italians and French and Germans
Yes mate, born, raised and living in Madrid, actually in La Rioja for a month of working though.
Thanks for your kind words.

Focus On
Grand Master

Postby Focus On » 11 Dec 2016, 10:34

My fave short film is from Spain 'La Cabina'
I buy a lot of Scalextric from a lad in Madrid off Ebay...Correos is your operator right?....same as in Mexico too
Bored to FLICK

Flickman
Forum Newbie

Postby Flickman » 11 Dec 2016, 13:11

Ahhh La Cabina… a TV Classic here, with the great Jose Luis Lopez Vazquez and directed and co-written by another great, Antonio Mercero, a TV “animal”, made a lot of things for the then “small screen”. He also made some movies being “La Guerra de papá” the best by far IMO, a day in the life of a normal boy… just lovely and a true unknown gem.

Here you can watch La Cabina complete if someone is interested at the RTVE official site.
IMPORTANT: Go to the 9:20 minute to skip the introduction that is a BIG spoiler of the ending:
http://www.rtve.es/alacarta/videos/cine ... ez/393271/
It is in spanish, no subtitles, but trust me, not very necessary… pure Kafka.

And yes Focus, it is Correos, another classic here!

lionofludesch
ISF 2018-19 Subscriber
ISF 2018-19 Subscriber

Postby lionofludesch » 12 Dec 2016, 09:59

:roll: I'll take my leave now. slán go foil. Scaifte amadain.
Don't take everything so seriously, Brendon. BIt of dark humour never hurt anyone.

Nollaig shona. :santa:
FIFA World Cuptipping competition
Winner 2010 and, joint with Takis,2014

® :angry:

Donegal Subbuteo
Professional

Postby Donegal Subbuteo » 12 Dec 2016, 10:28

:roll: I'll take my leave now. slán go foil. Scaifte amadain.
Don't take everything so seriously, Brendon. BIt of dark humour never hurt anyone.

Nollaig shona. :santa:
Caught me on a bad day! :guiness: :guiness: :guiness: :P :P :P

:santa: :rendeer: Nollaig Shona agus Bliain úr mhaith daoibh uilig. And remember not to underdo it at Christmas :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :guiness: :guiness: :guiness: :guiness: :guiness: :guiness: :guiness: :guiness: :guiness: :guiness: :angry:
http://www.donegalsubbuteo.webs.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; http://www.Facebook.com/donegalsubbuteo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; e-mail donegalsubbuteo@hotmail.com

lionofludesch
ISF 2018-19 Subscriber
ISF 2018-19 Subscriber

Postby lionofludesch » 12 Dec 2016, 16:35

:santa: :rendeer: Nollaig Shona agus Bliain úr mhaith daoibh uilig. And remember not to underdo it at Christmas :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :guiness: :guiness: :guiness: :guiness: :guiness: :guiness: :guiness: :guiness: :guiness: :guiness: :angry:
Go raibh math agait.

Anyway, getting back to 1990, Carl may have had an axe to grind but he certainly did himself no favours with that outburst. All folk saw on t'telly was a spoilt brat - they could know nothing of what went on off camera.
FIFA World Cuptipping competition
Winner 2010 and, joint with Takis,2014

® :angry:

Focus On
Grand Master

Postby Focus On » 13 Dec 2016, 07:27

Ahhh La Cabina… a TV Classic here, with the great Jose Luis Lopez Vazquez and directed and co-written by another great, Antonio Mercero, a TV “animal”, made a lot of things for the then “small screen”. He also made some movies being “La Guerra de papá” the best by far IMO, a day in the life of a normal boy… just lovely and a true unknown gem.

Here you can watch La Cabina complete if someone is interested at the RTVE official site.
IMPORTANT: Go to the 9:20 minute to skip the introduction that is a BIG spoiler of the ending:
http://www.rtve.es/alacarta/videos/cine ... ez/393271/
It is in spanish, no subtitles, but trust me, not very necessary… pure Kafka.

And yes Focus, it is Correos, another classic here!
the films superb, i saw it first time around 1984 when Channel 4 in the UK started and they were trying to be arty (they screened the original Twilight Zone series the same year), around 10 years ago i got the film on a moody disc from a mate at a film fair, wore it out within a week!
I'm a big fan of dark films like the Italian Giallos that Argento and Bava made, La Cabina is the unseen killer too!...also it captures Spain at a very innocent time pre development, i simply love the film, it takes me back to being 16 again, and THAT was a long time ago.
The utter depair at the character's situation is a insight to our lives when something is beyond our control, and his chance to be there in that situation goes to show how our fates can spin on the flick of a coin.
A masterpiece really, with very very deep implications.
Bored to FLICK

Greybudgie
Forum Newbie

Postby Greybudgie » 06 Mar 2018, 21:30

Really enjoyed watching that, I note that Carl Young won the 4th Asian Cup of Table Football Cup held in January 2018 In Melbourne he emigrated to Australia and is now and Australian Citzen. Is John McGiffen still involved in any version of the game?

I take it the "Bad Blood" stemmed from that McGiffen was part of the waddington inner circle FISA and Young was more from the independent WTSA/ETSA ? which parted ways with the waddington controlling body in *1977 as per Peter Upton's reporting..

*Which had a lot to do with the suspension of manufacturing flats as most senior players seemed to used in tournaments?
Again those tricky Italians introduced introduced household products in yhe late 70's that made the HW/LW competitive to the flats?

Talking of Youtube videos also enjoyed Can You Flick It? A Subbuteo Story (Should of been called table football instead of Subbuteo)....Alan Collins I note has done a Lord Lucan in the last twelve months well worth a look
Last edited by Greybudgie on 06 Mar 2018, 21:46, edited 1 time in total.

krama
Seasoned Professional

Postby krama » 06 Mar 2018, 21:46

Haven't watched that in ages! Find it hard watching tbh for obvious reasons even though he only had a few minutes screen time. :cry:

Greybudgie
Forum Newbie

Postby Greybudgie » 06 Mar 2018, 21:51

Haven't watched that in ages! Find it hard watching tbh for obvious reasons even though he only had a few minutes screen time. :cry:
I can fully understand that, I would too if I was in your position, what a great legacy and I am glad that the Brand "Subbuteo" again is available hopefully another generation will enjoy, like us old timers

lloydie1109
ISF 2018-19 Subscriber
ISF 2018-19 Subscriber

Postby lloydie1109 » 07 Mar 2018, 07:43

Really enjoyed watching that, I note that Carl Young won the 4th Asian Cup of Table Football Cup held in January 2018 In Melbourne he emigrated to Australia and is now and Australian Citzen. Is John McGiffen still involved in any version of the game?

I take it the "Bad Blood" stemmed from that McGiffen was part of the waddington inner circle FISA and Young was more from the independent WTSA/ETSA ? which parted ways with the waddington controlling body in *1977 as per Peter Upton's reporting..

*Which had a lot to do with the suspension of manufacturing flats as most senior players seemed to used in tournaments?
Again those tricky Italians introduced introduced household products in yhe late 70's that made the HW/LW competitive to the flats?

Talking of Youtube videos also enjoyed Can You Flick It? A Subbuteo Story (Should of been called table football instead of Subbuteo)....Alan Collins I note has done a Lord Lucan in the last twelve months well worth a look
To cut a long story short, Carl was stitched up by the heads of the Welsh and Scottish Subbuteo Associations, who cheated him out of games to ensure their own sons won. On the International stage, with neutral refs Carl won, hence his 'Justice' shout at the end.
Carl was without doubt the best Welsh player ever, it was a shame the two cheats ruined it for him

John McGiffen disappeared not long after his dad was convicted of a series of crimes!!!

Return to “General and Collecting Topics”