HW Slump

The place to for general Subbuteo threads.
Focus On
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber

HW Slump

Postby Focus On » 22 Sep 2017, 08:39

Just noticed some ending prices for hw teams...depressingly low most under a tenner, so took about 14 of mine off.
Wish the same could be said for Scalextric cant win an item these days for under silly money
Tatran Presov Hooligans 'C' Section!!

skell
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber

Re: HW Slump

Postby skell » 22 Sep 2017, 10:15

It's a bit worrying Mark for someone Ike me with a house full of them... I've recently sold some teams and felt hugely disappointed with the final outcome... so the rest are off to Renishaw next month where I tend to do quite well !

spudski
Grand Master

Postby spudski » 22 Sep 2017, 10:20

Think it's just ebay Mark.

Italians have also been on holiday over August...no money in September. Always a good time to buy but not sell on ebay it seems.

Amongst the collecting community, and other selling (foreign) formats, I'd say it was still sensible and neither too low or too high.

Ebay has created a false 'value' imo....too many people have relied on it, and it's swamped with rubbish.

More and more collectors are avoiding it, for all the right reasons.

Interestingly the value of OHW's and LW's seems to have increased in all formats of selling and buying.

As Mark has pointed out...away from ebay with collectors who see the seller and teams, it's normal proceedings.

Focus On
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber

Postby Focus On » 22 Sep 2017, 18:04

Down to my last 100 Ian so not worried, and 60 i'm keeping.
Got some amazing numbers on private deals and a few ebay surprises too...but just saying generally how low ebay prices are fetching

spudski
Grand Master

Postby spudski » 23 Sep 2017, 07:34

Private deals amongst collectors is definitely the best way imo...you get to develop a bond and understanding as to what that collector actually wants.

A good way of developing friendships too.

Collectors know the true worth of teams, the real rarity or not....like I said, ebay gives a false impression imo.

Glad it's working out for you fella.

Same can be said of all hobbies and other collecting interests.

I'm on to a Dutch collection...made the contact through a private sale that was the dutch equivalent of gumtree.

It's the rare catalogue I've got my eyes on...just gotta get the price down lol

Focus On
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber

Postby Focus On » 23 Sep 2017, 12:21

Good luck mate, always indebted to you for finding that French red roofed building

spudski
Grand Master

Postby spudski » 24 Sep 2017, 10:46

All good fella :-)

barrychuckle
Seasoned Professional

Postby barrychuckle » 25 Sep 2017, 08:19

To be honest you only have to look at this forum to realise the hobby is in the early stages of decline. Regular stalwarts of the forum no longer post or are anywhere to be seen. There are many days or even weeks between posts and in some topics it's been years. As as been said before due to the age demographic of collectors heavyweights will be first to suffer followed by lightweights. I've not been to any fairs recently too far north but I bet it's rare to see a new face at them. Just my observations ;-)

Gullseye
Grand Master

Postby Gullseye » 25 Sep 2017, 09:43

To be honest you only have to look at this forum to realise the hobby is in the early stages of decline. Regular stalwarts of the forum no longer post or are anywhere to be seen. There are many days or even weeks between posts and in some topics it's been years. As as been said before due to the age demographic of collectors heavyweights will be first to suffer followed by lightweights. I've not been to any fairs recently too far north but I bet it's rare to see a new face at them. Just my observations ;-)
I think as far as this forum is concerned we are just seeing a levelling off of interest from very high levels. A lot of the longer term members probably have quite large collections now or have most of what they need from a collecting point. Also when topics have been covered so many times older members tend not to add further comment. I know that some of the members that no longer post much, or not at all now, still have a keen interest.

Now that prices are coming down to more reasonable levels it is more attractive to new collectors. I'm sure some collectors that got into the hobby five years ago are now looking back at some of the crazy amounts they paid for teams, which was not sustainable. A friend of mine in his 60's has just picked up a set and is very enthusiastic about collecting more. There are a lot of people from the late 60's and the 70's still to retire which is a time when you look for a hobby and become a bit nostalgic, so I think there is quite a few more years left.

spudski
Grand Master

Postby spudski » 25 Sep 2017, 09:59

Whilst I agree this forum is less active, I disagree that Subbuteo is in decline, either in playing or collecting.

I've seen a lot more people taking up the game again, and also many people start collecting or continuing to collect.

Collectors and players are more active on other forms of social media. Be it FB, Twitter etc.

Many that used to frequent this forum, still collect or play. They just choose not to post on here anymore.

I'd say collecting and playing was just as healthy if not more than it was five years ago...it's just not reflected on here.

Imo....this forum and sales on ebay, do not give a true reflection of the health of the hobby.

Maybe two or three prominent collectors have found interests elsewhere, that were frequently on here, but they have been replaced by others who aren't on here.

I don't think you will find many £600 teams these days....but still £200-£300 for the rarer one's.

lloydie1109
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber

Postby lloydie1109 » 25 Sep 2017, 11:56

The collecting market is as high and as busy as ever.

It is impossible to judge things based on any forum activity. This forum like many others has seen a dramatic dip in usage due to the amount of people using the various social media sites instead. On facebook and Twitter thousands of people post, and display things about subbuteo as well as chatting about it.

The Collectors Fairs here in Sheffield are still doing very well, the footfall has not dropped at all, the only thing that as changed is that it is a two hour mad rush, then it quietens down, and its then that all the catching up and chatting occurs. New sellers and buyers appear at each meeting.

One reason I think that prices have dropped is due to the modern ethos of no one has any patience nowadays. Buyers in the main, want something and they want it now, so they edge away from auction formats and just purchase Buy It Now items. More and more sellers have latched onto this and now list their items away from auctions. Thus the prices have lowered some what, but the amount of subbuteo sold is very high indeed, both the old original stuff and the modern made stuff. Currently on ebay uk there are just over 10,000 subbuteo items listed, over 9,000 are Buy It Now items. without auctions prices have a ceiling. I am shifting a huge amount of top spin teams, this has been the busiest year to date, 50% more sold so far than the whole of last year. I know other makers, suppliers etc are the same.

Subbuteo is thriving in all formats, long may it continue

Focus On
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber

Postby Focus On » 25 Sep 2017, 17:22

LOL yeah and 4000 of them are your teams... :lol!:

People drop in and out of hobbies, when it suits them as should be...i collect quite a lot of different things and my spending activities are split between them all...just depends what i'm into that month.
This forums always been quiet...ok a few have sold up but thats good because it offers others opp to buy quality items.
Ian has the best plan, pass it on for someone else to enjoy and re-evaluate.
At the moment i'm spending on dvds, i love horror but anything pre 1988...just topping up on some titles i should really have to hand.
Next month could be Scalextric again, or football cards, or 70's football mem, or Two Tone rare singles, or programmes or....and the list goes on.
Glad your telling us self paints are doing well again as i'll be dipping my winter toes back in, Summers a nightmare to paint in 90 degree heat for 4 months.
Table football in most forms is fun, even my 5 year old plays it...the attraction will never die out.

re FB, yes a better platform of communication as there are no gags....when the worlds going to s h It its nice just to be able say it without having to spell it out :roll:

rossobantam
Forum Newbie

Postby rossobantam » 25 Sep 2017, 19:54

People drop in and out of hobbies, when it suits them as should be...i collect quite a lot of different things and my spending activities are split between them all...just depends what i'm into that month.

My thoughts exactly Mark

For years I've swung between Airfix, then Subbuteo, then back to Airfix, whilst at the same time side-collections in pre-70's comics (esp Victor Warlord Battle etc), then a splurge on footy stickers/bubble gum cards, then Corgi Aviation and occ Force of Valor 1/35 armour. oh & Giles annuals oh yeh Matchbox Battle Kings & Sea Kings too :roll:

What I've also come to realise is that if a partic part of my collection is stored away my interest drifts a bit....this hit me when I put some of my Subby teams and my statuettes/rosettes on proper display in an acrylic wall case I had esp made...seeing em on the wall looking smart reminds me I want more of em

Dave

lloydie1109
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber

Postby lloydie1109 » 26 Sep 2017, 07:58

This forums always been quiet...ok a few have sold up but thats good because it offers others opp to buy quality items.
Ian has the best plan, pass it on for someone else to enjoy and re-evaluate.
At the moment i'm spending on dvds, i love horror but anything pre 1988...just topping up on some titles i should really have to hand.
Next month could be Scalextric again, or football cards, or 70's football mem, or Two Tone rare singles, or programmes or....and the list goes on.
Glad your telling us self paints are doing well again as i'll be dipping my winter toes back in, Summers a nightmare to paint in 90 degree heat for 4 months.
Table football in most forms is fun, even my 5 year old plays it...the attraction will never die out.

re FB, yes a better platform of communication as there are no gags....when the worlds going to s h It its nice just to be able say it without having to spell it out :roll:
Two Tone, I have a lot, got some great pic covers,
40000 mine, no 8000 lol.
I was lucky enough to see some of the groups in their infancy, along with the early Stiff groups at a superb venue called Erics in Liverpool

Focus On
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber

Postby Focus On » 26 Sep 2017, 08:50

Erics, yes top venue in Dipperville...Echo and the Bunnymen played there in 1979

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zjhx2P1eO14

Return to “General and Collecting Topics”