HW Slump

The place to for general Subbuteo threads.
lloydie1109
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber

Re: HW Slump

Postby lloydie1109 » 26 Sep 2017, 10:02

It was a venue that all the punk, new wave, and new music genres played, open seven nights a week, saw some fantastic acts there

spudski
Grand Master

Postby spudski » 26 Sep 2017, 10:41

Erics....my favourite group when I was a young en only exist because of Erics in Liverpool. OMD...Quote...

Who played Eric's?
The list of groups who played Eric's reads like a Who's Who of punk/rock music, from Blondie and The Clash to The Jam and Ultravox. Little known groups like The Police and The Sex Pistols played Eric's on their way to stardom, with The Stranglers featuring on Eric's opening night. Such groups would later return to Liverpool, playing larger venues under the Eric's promotion.
Eric's greatest influence was on local groups. OMD, Echo and the Bunnymen, The Teardrop Explodes and Wah! Heat all played their first gigs there. Big in Japan were an Eric's success story who still influence today's music scene. Often described as a reverse supergroup, band members later had links with The Lightning Seeds, Frankie goes to Hollywood, Siouxsie and the Banshees, the KLF and the Cream nightclub.
When Andy McCluskey and Paul Humphreys formed OMD it was for a one-off show at Eric's. Pete Fulwell had other ideas. He introduced them to contacts at Manchester record label The Factory and a successful 18-year career ensued.

lloydie1109
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber

Postby lloydie1109 » 26 Sep 2017, 10:50

The KLF had many formats before they hit the big time, e.g The TimeLords etc, Bill Drummond is a customer/friend of my brother In Law, due to his business, Bill is also an Art Consultant for Sheffield City Council

Flash
Semi-Pro

Postby Flash » 26 Sep 2017, 11:06

The collecting market is as high and as busy as ever.

It is impossible to judge things based on any forum activity. This forum like many others has seen a dramatic dip in usage due to the amount of people using the various social media sites instead. On facebook and Twitter thousands of people post, and display things about subbuteo as well as chatting about it.

The Collectors Fairs here in Sheffield are still doing very well, the footfall has not dropped at all, the only thing that as changed is that it is a two hour mad rush, then it quietens down, and its then that all the catching up and chatting occurs. New sellers and buyers appear at each meeting.

One reason I think that prices have dropped is due to the modern ethos of no one has any patience nowadays. Buyers in the main, want something and they want it now, so they edge away from auction formats and just purchase Buy It Now items. More and more sellers have latched onto this and now list their items away from auctions. Thus the prices have lowered some what, but the amount of subbuteo sold is very high indeed, both the old original stuff and the modern made stuff. Currently on ebay uk there are just over 10,000 subbuteo items listed, over 9,000 are Buy It Now items. without auctions prices have a ceiling. I am shifting a huge amount of top spin teams, this has been the busiest year to date, 50% more sold so far than the whole of last year. I know other makers, suppliers etc are the same.

Subbuteo is thriving in all formats, long may it continue
You're right Paul about the auction stuff - I rarely if ever bid on auctions. I can't be bothered with the hassle and the losing out. I'd rather pay to get a team outright knowing I'm going to get it (even if it means paying a couple of quid more). Obviously it helps for me that I only collect Hasbro/PLG/Leggenda stuff.

lionofludesch
Grand Master

Postby lionofludesch » 26 Sep 2017, 13:57

I'm not even registered on eBay. I don't trust these eBay sellers, based on stories I've heard, both on here and elsewhere.

It's just not an attractive option for me.
FIFA World Cuptipping competition
Winner 2010 and, joint with Takis,2014

® :angry:

krama
Seasoned Professional

Postby krama » 26 Sep 2017, 17:18

It was a venue that all the punk, new wave, and new music genres played, open seven nights a week, saw some fantastic acts there
One of my all time favourite bands played a bit at Erics I believe....Deaf School!! The second best band to come out of Liverpool! :lol!: Saw them a few times in London in the late seventies!

Jon Rosten
Grand Master

Postby Jon Rosten » 28 Sep 2017, 08:00

i think the amount of items for subby on ebay also plays its part.
when I started collecting in 2006 there were around 3000 - 4000 at any one time items now its usually up near 10,000.
so supply exceeds demand it seems plus wading through all those items ( despite search filtering) probably plays it part.

and its possibly the case that there aren't many new collectors of HW's around and all the existing ones will by now have their standard refs.

base variants still seem popular. I got £92 for a 132 on black/white bases a couple of weeks ago which was way above my expectation.

had some poor and good results this week. eg, all blue bases ref 42 £5.69 but then bulk standard ref 4 went for £24.
wont start any common ones lower than £7.99 from now on.

but I agree on prices as mid range on the rarity scales have had disappointing results for me.

Jon Rosten
Grand Master

Postby Jon Rosten » 28 Sep 2017, 08:01

oh and also I got £82 for a standard but mint ref 48 a few weeks back! I was staggered!

Focus On
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber

Postby Focus On » 28 Sep 2017, 15:49

Christ you can fly to Spain for that!
Ex ICF read the books see the films, laugh, and then ask what really happened

Jon Rosten
Grand Master

Postby Jon Rosten » 28 Sep 2017, 16:00

:) probably for less! :)

claretpete0128
Apprentice

Postby claretpete0128 » 05 Oct 2017, 06:42

Strange thing really collecting heavyweights .. there cannot be quite as many spheres of collecting so badly affected by the spectre of the fake ... even on this forum

Just saying like

Ralph

barrychuckle
Seasoned Professional

Postby barrychuckle » 05 Oct 2017, 07:15

Glad all mine are gone. Strange though in the hundreds of teams that I had amassed there was not one special order or rare base combo to be seen. :?

Johnny Reb
Apprentice

Postby Johnny Reb » 06 Oct 2017, 19:46

Wish there was a down turn on "flats" ,bases or figures :|

Focus On
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber

Postby Focus On » 07 Oct 2017, 10:35

Glad all mine are gone. Strange though in the hundreds of teams that I had amassed there was not one special order or rare base combo to be seen. :?
similar thing with me, had around a thousand teams at one point, only a few had stickered labels, only three were borderline sp/o and one statuette deffo was.
Ex ICF read the books see the films, laugh, and then ask what really happened

Return to “General and Collecting Topics”