1973 Reps report re ordering teams etc

The place to for general Subbuteo threads.
spudski
Grand Master

Re: 1973 Reps report re ordering teams etc

Postby spudski » 13 Mar 2018, 06:33

What a beautiful piece of history. C.100 Colours....there is magic in that memo. Thank you Spudski!

What's interesting about that Mark, is how many 'Specials' had to be ordered.

For example...Lloydie told me about his local supplier selling SO's of Rhyl FC...which according to that memo, a minimum of 100 had to be ordered, shared around different suppliers with which each Rep dealt with. :crazyeyes:

How many different "special teams" were ordered in those glory days? Did someone ever made an attempt to list them? I have been told that in Uk there are collectors who started to collect Subbuteo in the late sixties and never stopped since then and they own most of the Subbuteo ever produced. Is that true?

Cheers
Hi mate...I hope you are well? A long time since we had lunch in Turin. Time Fly's. No one will ever know how many teams were produced. It was endless. I have been told that there was an attempt to archive every team produced by someone who worked for SSG. They kept one figure of each team produced. However they stopped after it was apparent it was a fruitless task.

I think I have that right...Paul Lloyd will be able to correct me if wrong.

As for collections...there are many huge collections out there. But they will never own every team.

What has become apparent whilst collecting, is that everyone gets hooked up on 'set rules'. Whilst the Peter Upton website is a great source of information, some collectors read it, and set down dates etc in stone. That is not the case...SSG was a business and stock was used when needed. Regardless of what box, bases, figures etc were available at the time.

For example...when the splash box changed to the small splash box, there is no way SSG would have stopped using the longer splash box. They would have used stock up regardless, so there was always cross over periods, especially between 1976-1978 ish.

I get the impression in Italy, with Parodi it was more structured and organised, where as in the UK there were more anomalies and more haphazard.

This is why you sometimes find a 'catalogue' team from 1978 in a long splash box ( that transitional period of around 1977 ) where a catalogue wasn't produced...it didn't mean SSG stopped producing and expanding in that year. Hence the 1976 Italian New squad teams...they had already been thought of. Then you get teams turn up in LW box's with polystyrene inners from the early 80's...always it seems from Italy, but they occasionally turn up. Business using old stock.

So in turn, collectors have dismissed teams in the past, because they got hung up on 'laws'...often down to reading the Peter Upton site and setting words written on there in stone...which is far from true.

So we will never know what has been produced fully. Which is what makes this hobby so exciting...as it not possible to finish a collection.

Focus On
Grand Master

Postby Focus On » 13 Mar 2018, 06:57

Good post Ian and spot on....so there must be another 99 Rhyls floating around somewhere if Paul had one

I have a genuine order form from about 1972 and it stated there minimum order was 50, obv it got upped
Bored to FLICK

Paul
Forum Newbie

Postby Paul » 13 Mar 2018, 08:26

Anybody got any pics of teams above reference 200 in a longbox complete with a genuine reference sticker. Don't see too many in the reference section.

Wouldn't mind seeing some pics of these special order teams. Not too many of them in the reference section, either.
They probably upped the minimum order to 100 because the were a pain in Subbuteo's arse to produce 'em.
Carpet football sucks.

spudski
Grand Master

Postby spudski » 13 Mar 2018, 08:44

Good post Ian and spot on....so there must be another 99 Rhyls floating around somewhere if Paul had one

I have a genuine order form from about 1972 and it stated there minimum order was 50, obv it got upped
Who knows Mark...it says 'non league' on that memo...so I'm not sure whether that means non league as we know it, or non catalogue.
Anybody got any pics of teams above reference 200 in a longbox complete with a genuine reference sticker. Don't see too many in the reference section.

Wouldn't mind seeing some pics of these special order teams. Not too many of them in the reference section, either.
They probably upped the minimum order to 100 because the were a pain in Subbuteo's arse to produce 'em.
They usually have a typed or stamped name on the box, unless it was from the 500 range in Italy.

It seems the 200+ range was already thought out during 76-77, when no catalogue was produced. But they didn't assign 'official' catalogue numbers until 1978. You also get named teams from that range on the Small splash, like the Leeds and Coventry, West Ham etc.

That period between approx. 76-78 throws up some anomalies to what collectors set in stone.

Plenty out there...and many pics lost via Photobucket.

I've saved quite a few, but saving them for my book project. ;-)

lloydie1109
ISF 2018-19 Subscriber
ISF 2018-19 Subscriber

Postby lloydie1109 » 13 Mar 2018, 12:13

A story I was told about how astute a businessman he was, was that a big shop had put Super Striker next to their Subbuteo display, George asked them to move it away or no more Subbuteo, it was moved.
He was Geoffrey not George, Lloydie! Didn't notice that before! :lol!: George was George Underwood!
He was always Sammy to everyone, no one called him Geoffrey, not even Julie, his wife!

btw Didn't a George Samson win BGT a few years back doing break dancing! :lol: :G ;-)
My error on his name, when I was first introduced to John Burbidge I called him Joe!!!!!

ralphtheclaret
Grand Master

Postby ralphtheclaret » 13 Mar 2018, 12:21

Who knows Mark...it says 'non league' on that memo...so I'm not sure whether that means non league as we know it, or non catalogue.

They usually have a typed or stamped name on the box, unless it was from the 500 range in Italy.

It seems the 200+ range was already thought out during 76-77, when no catalogue was produced. But they didn't assign 'official' catalogue numbers until 1978. You also get named teams from that range on the Small splash, like the Leeds and Coventry, West Ham etc.

That period between approx. 76-78 throws up some anomalies to what collectors set in stone.

There is a 76-77 catalogue Ian ..the chart though is almost identical to the 75-6 listing except I think for the additon of Blue shorts to the 173 ..colourised at that :roll:

lionofludesch
ISF 2018-19 Subscriber
ISF 2018-19 Subscriber

Postby lionofludesch » 13 Mar 2018, 14:47

How many different "special teams" were ordered in those glory days? Did someone ever made an attempt to list them? I have been told that in Uk there are collectors who started to collect Subbuteo in the late sixties and never stopped since then and they own most of the Subbuteo ever produced. Is that true?

Cheers
Jeez, my mates and I must've ordered 30 or 40 between us. I had a lot of GAA and RL teams done.

You could buy them singly - but at a 50% premium on retail price. That amounted to 75p in the early 1970s.

Dunno what the wholesale price for 100 would be - £25 or £30, perhaps.
FIFA World Cuptipping competition
Winner 2010 and, joint with Takis,2014

® :angry:

Paul
Forum Newbie

Postby Paul » 13 Mar 2018, 15:09

Jeez, my mates and I must've ordered 30 or 40 between us. I had a lot of GAA and RL teams done.

You could buy them singly - but at a 50% premium on retail price. That amounted to 75p in the early 1970s.

I never knew about them, at that time. Or if I did then I've completely blanked them out of my memory.
Just out of interest, Liono, can you remember which shops you used to order them from ??
Carpet football sucks.

lionofludesch
ISF 2018-19 Subscriber
ISF 2018-19 Subscriber

Postby lionofludesch » 13 Mar 2018, 15:50

Direct from SSG, pal.

lionofludesch
ISF 2018-19 Subscriber
ISF 2018-19 Subscriber

Postby lionofludesch » 13 Mar 2018, 15:53

Would they be dismissed as ref 10 variants by baffled collectors ? :scratch:

JohnCLU48
Apprentice

Postby JohnCLU48 » 13 Mar 2018, 18:34

Great find Ian to unearth even more evidence for the number of special order teams that are likely to be out there. Just hope that Gilligan doesn't produce the other 99 Rhyls :mad:
Nice internal memo and explains a lot...

spudski
Grand Master

Postby spudski » 14 Mar 2018, 09:05

There is a 76-77 catalogue Ian ..the chart though is almost identical to the 75-6 listing except I think for the additon of Blue shorts to the 173 ..colourised at that :roll:
My mistake Ralph...I think I meant 77-78. I don't think there was a catalogue that year.
Great find Ian to unearth even more evidence for the number of special order teams that are likely to be out there. Just hope that Gilligan doesn't produce the other 99 Rhyls :mad:
Cheers John...happy to share a piece of SSG history.

ralphtheclaret
Grand Master

Postby ralphtheclaret » 14 Mar 2018, 09:42

Yes 77-78 would be the year of the first Subbuteo World catalogue with the zombie style drawings so no chart that year .. always listed as 78 but they were issued in late 77

Return to “General and Collecting Topics”