Suggestions for solo play

The place to for general Subbuteo threads.
geow6
Semi-Pro

Suggestions for solo play

Post by geow6 » 05 Apr 2018, 17:54

Hi all,

I was going to post this on the ISF solo section, but thought more people seem to respond on the general threads so I thought I'd leave it here.

If anyone has been following my solo play over the last few years, they'll know I've completed quite a few "projects".

So far, I have done a full Premier League season (2017/18) as well as a full European Championships and World Cup (from qualifying to finals). The World Cup finals is due to start next month, and I will have it done by June.

This has got me thinking about where I wish to venture next. I probably have a bit more solo play left in me yet, but don't really want to embark on another full English season.

Any suggestions from people on here? I've thought about a Champions League or even old style European Cup, but feel I would be buying quite a few teams for little reward, especially if they went out in the group stages or first round.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

George

Gullseye
Grand Master

Re: Suggestions for solo play

Post by Gullseye » 05 Apr 2018, 18:51

I first started by playing a complete 1982/3 First Division, which was great but didn't fancy doing another as its a long haul.
Decided then to start a league of four divisions and carry it on from year to year. I've got 12 teams in each and the fun of this is that there is relegation and promotions. I only play three games per week in the First division and one in each of the other three. All the other games are decided by a system, so it is very manageable. I also do a League cup and an FA cup where I involve another 16 teams (non league) to enter 64 teams.

lionofludesch
ISF 2018-19 Subscriber
ISF 2018-19 Subscriber

Post by lionofludesch » 05 Apr 2018, 20:30

Decide how much time you have.

Decide how long you want the season or tournament to last.

Work out how many games that represents.

You now have a starting point for the format of your tournament.
FIFA World Cuptipping competition
Winner 2010,, joint with Takis2014 and 2018

® :angry:

Orleanian
Forum Newbie

Post by Orleanian » 13 Jul 2018, 02:19

Another idea you could try out, that several solo players of electric football have experimented with in their leagues, is a fast-play system by which you have some mechanism for generating quick results: such as rolling dice or picking cards for scores to name but two examples. You could manage an entire football association and actually play out only a few feature matches, or pick one division to play out live while you generate results for the other divisions, or play a few matches in each division while using your result generator for the other matches on the schedule. Whether you use cards, dice, or some sort of chart, you can find a method that will work best if you want to do any sort of league larger than six or eight club sides.

ralphdpomeroy
Forum Newbie

Post by ralphdpomeroy » 13 Jul 2018, 08:38

Orleanian wrote:
13 Jul 2018, 02:19
Another idea you could try out, that several solo players of electric football have experimented with in their leagues, is a fast-play system by which you have some mechanism for generating quick results: such as rolling dice or picking cards for scores to name but two examples. You could manage an entire football association and actually play out only a few feature matches, or pick one division to play out live while you generate results for the other divisions, or play a few matches in each division while using your result generator for the other matches on the schedule. Whether you use cards, dice, or some sort of chart, you can find a method that will work best if you want to do any sort of league larger than six or eight club sides.
... sounds familiar ... but it does pre-date 'electronic' football somewhat :wink:
Last edited by ralphdpomeroy on 13 Jul 2018, 08:57, edited 1 time in total.

ralphdpomeroy
Forum Newbie

Post by ralphdpomeroy » 13 Jul 2018, 08:55

cheap hobby too ..

couple of packs of cards .. some pens .. two or three exercise books and some of these ..

I actually started with dice which thinking about it would have been 74-5 and 75-6 when I had an almost forgotten Northern Premier League and Southern Premier League on the go - two divisions of about 20 clubs in each .. sadly I didn't keep any records but I have vague recollections of the clubs and kits ..wish I'd kept them :roll: . I've got my Scottish records back to 76 when I started that League using cards and my Dad's League records stretch all the way back to 1955.

Dice are okay especially for young 'uns but very limited in terms of realistic results/tables .. cards offer more options
Attachments
fixture cards.jpg
fixture cards.jpg (66.76 KiB) Viewed 276 times

Return to “General and Collecting Topics”