Prices for LW going through the roof

The place to for general Subbuteo threads.
HPL17
Apprentice

Re: Prices for LW going through the roof

Post by HPL17 » 02 Jun 2018, 18:33

It sold for 596 EUR. Unbelievable. Even the last seconds there was fierce bidding.

Vikash
Grand Master

Post by Vikash » 02 Jun 2018, 18:42

Yes I saw that, mate. Well, that is one very happy seller, and I also suspect a happy buyer as well 8)
How about them transparent dangling carrots
How about that ever elusive kudo

Gullseye
Grand Master

Post by Gullseye » 03 Jun 2018, 07:19

HPL17 wrote:
01 Jun 2018, 11:53
Vikash wrote:
01 Jun 2018, 11:40
That Ref. 362 may hit the GBP500 mark. It could well exceed it because it's quite rare to get the box and team in such good condition.
I have some concern whether the bidding process is fair, in general. I don't understand why you would bid days ahead and not just step in at the last minute. I think you would only start bidding early to drive up the price? Off course some teams are more rare and thus more valuable but bidding such high amounts well before the auction expires seems very strange to me.
If a determined buyer knows a team will sell for big money he may go in early to scare off a few buyers. A lot will be put off by big early bidding and consequently not take part in a bidding war, where I suspect a lot of buyers end up bidding more than they originally intended.

spudski
Grand Master

Post by spudski » 03 Jun 2018, 07:49

Re the bidding...some people like myself, just don't have the time to sit and watch ebay auctions end. So put in a bid early to an amount they are willing to spend. If you miss out...so be it. Life's too short to be sat watching ebay ;-)

As for the LW team being 'modified'...I looked on the Mingardo website and it seems the one shown on that site is similar!!!

I'm not an expert on LW's....how many of these teams were produced?

Am I not right in saying that a minimum run was made when printing LW teams...and that ran into thousands at one printing session?

How many of this team was produced?

Would it be possible that they were 'modified' at SSG for a smaller amount?

I have no idea...

Vikash
Grand Master

Post by Vikash » 03 Jun 2018, 08:42

spudski wrote:
03 Jun 2018, 07:49
Re the bidding...some people like myself, just don't have the time to sit and watch ebay auctions end. So put in a bid early to an amount they are willing to spend. If you miss out...so be it. Life's too short to be sat watching ebay ;-)

As for the LW team being 'modified'...I looked on the Mingardo website and it seems the one shown on that site is similar!!!

I'm not an expert on LW's....how many of these teams were produced?

Am I not right in saying that a minimum run was made when printing LW teams...and that ran into thousands at one printing session?

How many of this team was produced?

Would it be possible that they were 'modified' at SSG for a smaller amount?

I have no idea...
Yes, thank you for reminding me about the Ref. 360, Ian. I was going to also say that I have this team, and the one that went for over GBP200 is genuine machine-printed, not modified.

Vikash
Grand Master

Post by Vikash » 03 Jun 2018, 08:44

Gullseye wrote:
03 Jun 2018, 07:19
HPL17 wrote:
01 Jun 2018, 11:53
Vikash wrote:
01 Jun 2018, 11:40
That Ref. 362 may hit the GBP500 mark. It could well exceed it because it's quite rare to get the box and team in such good condition.
I have some concern whether the bidding process is fair, in general. I don't understand why you would bid days ahead and not just step in at the last minute. I think you would only start bidding early to drive up the price? Off course some teams are more rare and thus more valuable but bidding such high amounts well before the auction expires seems very strange to me.
If a determined buyer knows a team will sell for big money he may go in early to scare off a few buyers. A lot will be put off by big early bidding and consequently not take part in a bidding war, where I suspect a lot of buyers end up bidding more than they originally intended.
That is a damn good point, Gully. I thought I'd have a punt but when I got to the listing it was already way over what I could afford.

Return to “General and Collecting Topics”