DIY Subbuteo

The place to for general Subbuteo threads.
Orleanian
Forum Newbie

DIY Subbuteo

Post by Orleanian » 25 Jul 2018, 04:21

Here's a rather unique something I happened to stumble upon that forum members might be interested in:

http://www.goalstars.altervista.org/index.html

Basically, a father decided to create an entirely homemade Subbuteo game set out of recycled materials such as soda bottle caps and, later, flat paper teams he drew up on GIMP and printed out from his computer for himself and his son to enjoy together. Since the time this site was last updated, someone else has put up a .pdf team template file on Esty for people to create their own sides:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/257906706/ ... e_active_1

I've been playing around with a similar project myself, inspired partly by the example of the Spanish game Futbol Chapas which uses tin bottlecaps as the teams and has been played since 1903. This gentleman's game is based upon Subbuteo (rules drawn from the Zeugo manual) and is fashioned in much the same spirit.

It occurs to me that this sort of thing should be encouraged, with someday perhaps even a division of the hobby sport using DIY/recycled materials and self-created teams and game sets being formed. It would be a good way to attract new players who wouldn't need to spend more than US$10 on a game set, further encourages the recycling of throwaway material and creativity, and would be a good way to ensure the perpetuation of Subbuteo even if official equipment became more difficult to obtain at some future point.

ralphdpomeroy
Forum Newbie

Re: DIY Subbuteo

Post by ralphdpomeroy » 25 Jul 2018, 06:04

There is a section on here entitled

Other football games

It should be put in there really ? ....

Orleanian
Forum Newbie

Post by Orleanian » 25 Jul 2018, 07:58

That section appears to refer to quite different games than Subbuteo. Whereas here in this thread the topic is about Subbuteo, played to Subbuteo rules and incorporating the Subbuteo pitch design with the shooting line, but using entirely improvised, self-made equipment.

ralphdpomeroy
Forum Newbie

Re:it going to use thr DIY Subbuteo

Post by ralphdpomeroy » 25 Jul 2018, 08:50

The game you have chosen to showcase while it may or may not have it's merits is not Subbuteo ..this forum has always been very well organised ... no point having sections if people are not going to use them. Bottle tops have NOTHING to do with Subbuteo ..nothing at all ...

Grandad
ISF 2018-19 Subscriber
ISF 2018-19 Subscriber

Post by Grandad » 25 Jul 2018, 14:38

Interesting to see, nevertheless, regardless of which section its posted in. Many thanks.
Jeff

Orleanian
Forum Newbie

Re: Re:it going to use thr DIY Subbuteo

Post by Orleanian » 25 Jul 2018, 16:52

ralphdpomeroy wrote:
25 Jul 2018, 08:50
The game you have chosen to showcase while it may or may not have it's merits is not Subbuteo ..this forum has always been very well organised ... no point having sections if people are not going to use them. Bottle tops have NOTHING to do with Subbuteo ..nothing at all ...
But surely the essence of Subbuteo is the rules and the playing methodology. By your argument, the current FISTF Table Soccer game can be dismissed, as can any usage of the current flat bases which are wider than the originals designed by Peter Adolph and have produced a quite different game than the one he originally intended since they cannot curl.

However, if the forum moderators wish to move this thread to the "other games" section, that is entirely up to their discretion of course.

krama
Seasoned Professional

Post by krama » 25 Jul 2018, 18:20

Orleanian wrote:
25 Jul 2018, 16:52
ralphdpomeroy wrote:
25 Jul 2018, 08:50
But surely the essence of Subbuteo is the rules and the playing methodology. By your argument, the current FISTF Table Soccer game can be dismissed, as can any usage of the current flat bases which are wider than the originals designed by Peter Adolph and have produced a quite different game than the one he originally intended since they cannot curl.

However, if the forum moderators wish to move this thread to the "other games" section, that is entirely up to their discretion of course.
Good reply. Whatever keeps the SUBBUTEO name going and in whatever form is fine by me...however, I do admit to be stuck somewhat in late sixties early seventies SUBBUTEO wise....I do like a good spin and curl! :lol:
MarkA.

lionofludesch
ISF 2018-19 Subscriber
ISF 2018-19 Subscriber

Post by lionofludesch » 28 Jul 2018, 09:50

FIFA World Cuptipping competition
Winner 2010,, joint with Takis2014 and 2018

® :angry:

spudski
Grand Master

Post by spudski » 28 Jul 2018, 11:27

Should have used some buttons from Woolworths instead of bottle tops...then you might have been on to something ;-) lol

krama
Seasoned Professional

Post by krama » 28 Jul 2018, 12:34

spudski wrote:
28 Jul 2018, 11:27
Should have used some buttons from Woolworths instead of bottle tops...then you might have been on to something ;-) lol
:lol!: :G :lol!: :G

Orleanian
Forum Newbie

Post by Orleanian » 29 Jul 2018, 02:17

lionofludesch wrote:
28 Jul 2018, 09:50
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Button_football

It's not for me.
Well, perhaps, but that's not the game I'm talking about.

rdp227
Forum Newbie

Post by rdp227 » 11 Aug 2018, 08:26

' By your argument, the current FISTF Table Soccer game can be dismissed, as can any usage of the current flat bases "

Indeed it can .

Vikash
Grand Master

Post by Vikash » 12 Aug 2018, 08:06

That scoreboard is brilliant!
How about them transparent dangling carrots
How about that ever elusive kudo

Return to “General and Collecting Topics”