Forming a Club Tips Experiences?

The place to for general Subbuteo threads.
Greybudgie
Forum Newbie

Forming a Club Tips Experiences?

Post by Greybudgie » 31 Jul 2018, 23:23

Just wanted to get some ideas on forming a Club, and the experience people on this forum may of had in the past.
At the moment we have two players, unfortunately we are fairly isolated from the next nearest clubs roughly 700klm away (400klm of that water).
What have people found would be the minimum active number needed to have a successful club?

Thoughts on promotion recruitment.

skater74
Forum Newbie

Re: Forming a Club Tips Experiences?

Post by skater74 » 01 Aug 2018, 11:25

We started running a club in Berlin in January this year. We were three and immediately found a fourth one in the build up to the first meeting. Get it going even with only two people. Find a suitable place for your meetings and prepare two or three proper tables to play on. Show what you do on social media like Facebook and Instagram. See here for example: http://subbuteoclubberlin.blogspot.com

Spread word with your relatives and friends and invite people to get an impression personally. Go to local events with a table and play promotional games. Always involve people and invite them to try out.

We‘re currently six regular attendants plus occasional guests from the other club in Berlin.

Greybudgie
Forum Newbie

Post by Greybudgie » 02 Aug 2018, 04:38

skater74 wrote:
01 Aug 2018, 11:25
We started running a club in Berlin in January this year. We were three and immediately found a fourth one in the build up to the first meeting. Get it going even with only two people. Find a suitable place for your meetings and prepare two or three proper tables to play on. Show what you do on social media like Facebook and Instagram. See here for example: http://subbuteoclubberlin.blogspot.com

Spread word with your relatives and friends and invite people to get an impression personally. Go to local events with a table and play promotional games. Always involve people and invite them to try out.

We‘re currently six regular attendants plus occasional guests from the other club in Berlin.
Thanks skater74, Great Website and social media Notice Hermann Kruse has played at your club, I have communicated with Herman a good helpful guy.

lionofludesch
ISF 2018-19 Subscriber
ISF 2018-19 Subscriber

Post by lionofludesch » 11 Aug 2018, 12:08

My tip would be to have competitions that you can complete in one day/evening.

The folk that turn up one week are likely to be different from the folk who turn up the next. Some will be keener than others. If you have a league, you'll find that the keen ones turn up and there's no one for them to play because the only folk they've got left to play in their fixture list haven't turned up - possibly never do turn up.

Don't try to replicate soccer - run a competition that suits your circumstances. Think "squash club" rather than "soccer club".
FIFA World Cuptipping competition
Winner 2010,, joint with Takis2014 and 2018

® :angry:

Greybudgie
Forum Newbie

Post by Greybudgie » 12 Aug 2018, 19:31

Thanks lionofludesch, great idea we just need to do some promotion in the wider community we have an online present. It is getting those who might have played in the past or who maybe are interested in giving the game a go. With only a couple of people your stuck between a rock and a hard place.
So maybe do a poster have an open day in a public hall.

algy
Forum Newbie

Post by algy » 25 Aug 2018, 09:13

League format:
When Lichfield SC started, it was mostly an after-school club, with my mum picking up kids from the school gate. Because there was near 100% attendance, a normal Soccer-style league (play eachother twice) worked well.

When the club moved to the fire station - so still predominantly kids, with a good proportion guaranteed to turn up (as parents were dropping them off), the top 2 divisions remained as play-eachother-twice. The 3rd tier was more like a long-running Swiss ladder of 16 players. Of those present, they'd be divided up in to groups of 4 based on league position. (positions 1-4, 5-8) and play a 2 round "Swiss ladder" between them, with culmative points over the season. 4pts for a win, 2pts for a draw, 1pt for a defeat. This kept the more dedicated players - so more suited to a standard league format - in the promotion spots. Occasion players were non-league / cup only. We ran a lot of cups - roughly one cup per 4 players - aimed at different skill levels, with winners & runners up prizes. Ensured probably 50% of kids won something, and senior players less able to commit still had games to play throughout the season if they were present.

The Midland Circuit and later Knighton league took a different path. We ran them as a series of one day competitions as Rich/lionofludesch suggests. We maintained a championship table (best 4 results from7 tournaments or whatever) AND a seeding table (average score from (up to) last 5 tournaments). Then players on the day are divided in to categories based on seeding position & last tournament performance (if they win a category they're guaranteed to play in a higher one next time; finish bottom and it's guaranteed lower level). This keeps a league-like feel as there's a sense of promotion, relegation, playing against players of a similar ability - but doesn't rely on the same players turning up each week. Someone can turn up once and still get a few games with a definitive winner at the end of the day.

All of those worked well in the right situation. For me, the third option has been the best, but it's paperwork-heavy since you need to maintain 2 separate tables plus on the day results.

algy
Forum Newbie

Post by algy » 25 Aug 2018, 09:29

Forming clubs with few players / in rural locations:

My dad has run a club in Knighton - small town in rural Wales - for about 16 years now. There's a lot of ups and downs, and you have to roll with that. You need to persist.

If you can take younger (10-15) year old kids in - make it free, make it obvious - play somewhere public - and you can get it to work. Don't expect high player retention though, and don't expect much commitment to the cause. But you can have a good, fun league.

With adults - the bad news is that you've most likely found all the people in the area actively looking to play subbuteo, and an open day isn't likely to attract many - of any - more folk. You've just got to cajole people you know - friends, family, children, work colleagues - in to playing against their will. Imo one you get up to about 6 players, it gets far easier - it's more of a social group then, and you don't need to be quite as forceful because people join to be part of that group. Mind when I was in Edinburgh my flatmate came along every week to Hot Club decosse meetings just for the conversation. He hated football and no interest in Subbuteo, but loved talking about music with a couple of lads who went there - he kept them going, they kept him going. And that's it really. You have to force people in to coming to begin with, unless you already have half a dozen enthusiastic folk. Even then, don't underestimate the importance of forcing fun on people!!

lionofludesch
ISF 2018-19 Subscriber
ISF 2018-19 Subscriber

Post by lionofludesch » 25 Aug 2018, 09:50

algy wrote:
25 Aug 2018, 09:29
Mind when I was in Edinburgh my flatmate came along every week to Hot Club decosse meetings just for the conversation. He hated football and no interest in Subbuteo, but loved talking about music with a couple of lads who went there - he kept them going, they kept him going.
He probably thought it was a music club and wondered what all this Subbuteo was about. :-({|=

lionofludesch
ISF 2018-19 Subscriber
ISF 2018-19 Subscriber

Post by lionofludesch » 25 Aug 2018, 09:53

algy wrote:
25 Aug 2018, 09:13
League format:
When Lichfield SC started, it was mostly an after-school club, with my mum picking up kids from the school gate.
Jaysus !! :crazyeyes:

I wouldn't recommend that these days !!

algy
Forum Newbie

Post by algy » 28 Aug 2018, 19:46

lionofludesch wrote:
algy wrote:
25 Aug 2018, 09:29
Mind when I was in Edinburgh my flatmate came along every week to Hot Club decosse meetings just for the conversation. He hated football and no interest in Subbuteo, but loved talking about music with a couple of lads who went there - he kept them going, they kept him going.
He probably thought it was a music club and wondered what all this Subbuteo was about. :-({|=
We came with us to Mons for a Subbuteo tournament there too, in 2002. That was one hell of a competition. I can barely remember any of it :guiness: :guiness: :crazyeyes: :multi:
lionofludesch wrote:
algy wrote:
25 Aug 2018, 09:13
League format:
When Lichfield SC started, it was mostly an after-school club, with my mum picking up kids from the school gate.
Jaysus !! :crazyeyes:

I wouldn't recommend that these days !!
I've probably posted this before - but I reckon round about 1996 - Lichfield SC went to a tournament down in Portsmouth. The trip was that we went down to London on the Saturday to watch Wimbledon vs Villa at Selhurst Park, then catch the train over to Portsmouth to play in the tournament on Sunday. There was, if I remember right, 14 kids went down with my dad - just him in charge. As we were going through London, we went down to the underground at Euston. One of the kids, Dead Meat (aka James Collett) asked which platform we were going on - we were rushing for the tube - and Richard Grimley said "that one" and pointed at the northbound platform. Dead meat went that way, and everybody else in the group jumped on a southbound train. My dad was counting the kids when he was on, asked "Where's James [Collett]?" and Grimley replied "I sent him on a train going the other way" and started laughing hysterically. My dad, understandably, was absolutely mortified. We had to change back on a tube back to Euston, my dad was clearly very worried about it all. Dead meat had actually got on the train to Morningside Crescent (?), but been on-the-ball enough to get off at the first stop and get another train back to Euston, so we found him again.

Not sure that'd be allowed to happen now :lol:

Return to “General and Collecting Topics”