ISF Announcement

The place to for general Subbuteo threads.
ISF
Administrator
Administrator

ISF Announcement

Post by ISF » 24 Dec 2004, 07:35

As you will probably know this board and 100's of others were hit by hackers on the evening of 22nd December 2004. This was due to a vulnerability in phpBB 2.0.10 and previous versions.

Unfortunately all data was lost and irretrievable so 2 years of posts and messages have all gone.

The forum has now been updated to the latest version, which hopefully has fixed these security issues, but it means we will have to start again from scratch.

At the moment I am in two minds as to whether I wish to carry on as the administrator, not only because of this disaster, but also the way the ISF seems to be losing direction of late.

Trevor Smith has plans for yet another forum which is supposed to be opening on 1st January 2005 and as I understand it will be open to everyone, with the exception of one section which will be only for Subbuteo Club members. Therefore there will be a lot of duplcation with this board, which seems completely pointless.

The Players Forum was also hit by the hackers and Martin is currently working to get it up and running again.

Your comments and suggestions are welcome as to the way forward and if I do jack it in, I will of course hand over the reins to someone else so they can take over.

Chris
Last edited by ISF on 11 Jan 2005, 19:46, edited 1 time in total.

shaun

Post by shaun » 24 Dec 2004, 08:18

Chris

Simple - you must, must, must carry on. You have done a brilliant job with this forum over the past two years - don't let this glitch change that.

A choice between your forum and Trev's forum? - in my opinion there is no choice - the ISF every time. I'm sure hundreds will agree.

shaun

up the boro
Grand Master

here here

Post by up the boro » 24 Dec 2004, 08:50

hi chris,
you are the man,,, i packed in coming on here for a time because f trev smith and his hidden agendas, which are becoming apparent to one and all, but this is a great forum ran superbly by yourself chris. my thanks to you for the thankless task of running this forum.
keep it up chris.....
all the best terry rowland
bring back ronnie radford to give the geordies it again :lol: :lol: :lol: :xmas: :xmas: :xmas:

Post by Guest » 24 Dec 2004, 09:00

Keep it going mate. If this board goes then there is no viable all encompassing alternative.

Merry X-mas to all.

alan porter

Post by alan porter » 24 Dec 2004, 09:32

HERE HERE KEEP THIS FORUM ,CHRIS YOUR DOING A EXCELLENT JOB WE WILL ALL GET THIS FORUM BACK AND RUNNING.THESE SILLY ****
WILL NOT WRECK OUR ENJOYMENT SO PLEASE KEEP THE FORUM.HAPPY XMAS YOU ALL. :xmas: :xmas: :xmas: :xmas: :xmas: :xmas: :xmas:

Post by Guest » 24 Dec 2004, 10:20

did you not make a back up at all chris?

it just anoys me that these nobs think they have achieved something by hacking into this.

shaun

Post by shaun » 24 Dec 2004, 10:22

If this forum closes - then yes they would have achieved something (as would somebody else ;) ). However, if we ignore them and carry on posting, and keep it alive - then they have achieved very little.

futoomph

Post by futoomph » 24 Dec 2004, 10:32

I love the ISF and it is independent which the alternative won't be.

You've done a great job Chris. Sometimes a thankless task I realise, but it would be a shame to see it go.

bcfcdave

Post by bcfcdave » 24 Dec 2004, 10:49

Just want to add my support Chris, and echo the comments on here.

Losing all the history on the board is a blow for sure but I believe there is enough enthusiasm amongst the users of this site to get it back to its old self in no time at all.

As to alternatives, if previous efforts are anything to go by it will turn into a board full of ugly arguments and personal criticism. I'm not interested in other people's egos. However I will reserve judgement and hope to be proved wrong.

Please keep this forum on going if you possibly can. It is truly independent, fair and, most importantly for me, the vast majority of posts are extremely useful and relevant.

I would urge other readers: please post and show your support if you feel the same.

Have a good Christmas and a happy new year everyone.
Dave

Paul_E

Post by Paul_E » 24 Dec 2004, 11:02

Keep the ISF going! Thanks Chris for all you do. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all.

Paul :xmas:

mahler005

Post by mahler005 » 24 Dec 2004, 11:07

Chris

A great pity that some people get more of a kick out of destruction than anything constructive.

I certainly hope that you decide to carry on moderating the Forum. For some reason this hobby brings out passions in people and this on occasion gets out of hand. Navigating through this maelstrom is no easy task and I can understand why you might be feeling fed up. But I don't think anyone else could have done the task as well as you have done.

Alternative forums may come and go but in my view it is very important that this Forum - which occupies the centre ground as far as I see it - maintains its position as the main place that subbuteo fans will want to visit and contribute to.

I think we need to hear more views though.
  • Well guys, do you want the forum or not.
    And if yes, what are we going to do to rebuild community spirit.
Merry Xmas

Steve

Post by Guest » 24 Dec 2004, 11:09

Chris,
I used to post as Phil41 but the old pc buggered up & I had to re-register, well for what it's worth I hope you dont jack it mate.
You have done a wonderful job with this site, and whatever you decide you will have my full support, have a wonderful Christmas and dont let the bastards get you down.

mahler005

Post by mahler005 » 24 Dec 2004, 11:10

I notice that the private message inbox and sent box are unaffected, which is one small bonus.

Steve
Forum Newbie

Post by Steve » 24 Dec 2004, 11:23

I haven't posted much myself but have enjoyed reading the various comments & opinions over the past couple of years.

Amazing how the playing with & collecting of little plastic men can be such an emotive subject!

Definitely keep the ISF going.

Steve

Post by Guest » 24 Dec 2004, 11:39

Chris,

I hope you continue with the site..but fully understand should you not wish to...Have a great Christmas and think it over afterwards...thanks for your efforts in keeping Subbuteo "alive and flicking"

Return to “General and Collecting Topics”