Vintage Days - Wartime Football

Discussion about the Vintage Days football game.
Warn
Professional

Re: Vintage days table soccer

Post by Warn » 21 Sep 2011, 17:16

flick2kick wrote:Warn said:like the formation real vintage :lol:

Well I'm not really sure if your taking this seriously or not, but the formation I used in the pics is vintage. It is roughly based on the Metodo (2–3–2–3)
this formation was devised by Vittorio Pozzo, coach of the Italian national team in the 1930s. This created a stronger defence than previous systems as well as allowing effective counterattacks. The Italian national team won back-to-back World Cups in 1934 and 1938 using this system and if it was good enough for them its good enough for me....
Vintage football, vintage system, good idea.

I was thinking more of the English game,when the centre half was used as the playmaker and the full backs were narrow, before Herbert Chapman, in the 30's, introduced the 'third back' system with the centre half defensive, the backs wide and the half backs narrow. The inside forwards were also deep, hence the WM formation, which lasted in different guises until the 4-2-4 of the early 60's.

flick2kick

Post by flick2kick » 21 Sep 2011, 18:03

The whole Vintage Days table soccer game is based around the 1940's wartime period with stadium, teams, leather effect footballs which seem to behave just like the real thing and of course the officials in their blazers, the pitch is not a cloth but I am not really sure what it is made from but the image2 bases do work very well on it. This game for me is totally unique and is nothing like subbuteo in it's play, feel or look. It has cards that you pick that will predict weather conditions which then enables you to choose which ball to play with as there is a lightweight and heavyweight and belive me it really does make the game play completly different, the rules are also taken from the 1940's period but have been incorporated with the modern touch which makes for an end to end game, all in all I am very happy with my purchase and the company is based in britain.

matteo
Apprentice

Post by matteo » 21 Sep 2011, 18:24

@ Warn - Yep first formation at kick off does look more like a vintage 2-3-5 pyramid than the metodo. Just great to see old formations on a subby pitch. Think next time I get round to a game I'll line up a vintage fixture.

Would be fascinating to see a team line up with a vintage formation in the modern game - just to see the pundits utterly baffled.

@ flick2kick - looks like a really interesting addition to the subbuteo/table soccer world. I was wondering what the cards were all about - nice touch. Really clever idea with the different weighted balls. Anyway how much did it all set you back?

flick2kick

Post by flick2kick » 21 Sep 2011, 19:43

The complete standard stadium set was £149.99 which included 2 wooden goalposts, 2 teams, ref & linesmen, 2 leather effect footballs, set of weather cards, 1 dice, set of rules and refs whistle, plus I paid a further £16.99 for the commissioned team that I wanted painted (Hornchurch Wanderers), although if you want the standard wartime teams they are priced at £14.99 each. Everything in this game is either handmade of hand finished.

matteo
Apprentice

Post by matteo » 22 Sep 2011, 18:36

Cheers for the info. Bit beyond my price range - as I have a self-imposed subbuteo spending limit for the year. Still you've got what looks like a terrific set - very jealous.

flick2kick

Post by flick2kick » 27 Sep 2011, 13:08

This price does of course include post and packing, but I do understand that everyone has to have a self inposed buget for the year and I think I have already gone over mine, but this set up was totally worth it.....

newgolddream

Post by newgolddream » 28 Sep 2011, 00:56

Looks like a nice set - is there room for real supporters?

flick2kick

Post by flick2kick » 28 Sep 2011, 12:25

what do you mean by real supporters... plastic subbuteo ones ? if you do then the answer is no, but it does'nt need them as it generates a such a great athomosphere because everything is to totally to scale and that really does give you the feel of a packed wartime stadium which is what it is ment to represent.

newgolddream

Post by newgolddream » 28 Sep 2011, 20:24

flick2kick wrote:what do you mean by real supporters... plastic subbuteo ones ?
Yep, was just wondering as I can't tell from the photos.
flick2kick wrote: everything is to totally to scale.
Except for Rover of course :razz:

It's a very nice looking set - I'd be interested in seeing some better stadium photos, plus a close up of the pitch and some of the cards too. If you have time

flick2kick

Post by flick2kick » 28 Sep 2011, 21:06

I'll see what I can do, although I don't know when this will be, so please don't hold your breath......

Warn
Professional

Post by Warn » 28 Sep 2011, 21:32

newgolddream wrote:
flick2kick wrote:what do you mean by real supporters... plastic subbuteo ones ?
Yep, was just wondering as I can't tell from the photos.
flick2kick wrote: everything is to totally to scale.
Except for Rover of course :razz:

It's a very nice looking set - I'd be interested in seeing some better stadium photos, plus a close up of the pitch and some of the cards too. If you have time
Surely the spectators are printed. Have a look at the first photo.

If, quote, 'This game for me is totally unique and is nothing like subbuteo in it's play, feel or look', how exactly do you play it?
The pitch looks like a grass mat as used by some railway modellers.
Last edited by Warn on 28 Sep 2011, 21:42, edited 1 time in total.

newgolddream

Post by newgolddream » 28 Sep 2011, 21:35

Yes they are. I was wondering if the cards could be removed and 3d figs could be put in instead.

flick2kick

Post by flick2kick » 20 Oct 2011, 18:35

Hello again, finally back on line.... I notice that a few questions have been asked about the game and I see that people are questioning how the game is different to certain other table football games and although I can give you my views I have noticed somebody on this forum by the name vintage-days and if this is anything to with the guy that is making the game perhaps they could give you some better answers to the questions than me......

vintage-days

Post by vintage-days » 20 Oct 2011, 20:58

yes I have read this thread with interest...and all comments are noted & welcome...

the game is called Wartime Table Soccer...

I understand that anything new in the table football world may be viewed with an amount of suspicion or scepticism...after all...it has all been done before I have heard it said many times...and that may well be true...

as with everything comparisons may be drawn...in this case i guess most notably with Subbuteo...

as we all know that game itself was not the first in what has been a long line of efforts to bring the game of football to the table...and Wartime Table Soccer is dedicated to the genius of William J Keeling the inventor of Newfooty...

however...what I will say is that we took table soccer back to the drawing board starting with a figure and built our version of it from the ground up...

if it does nothing else but evoke discussion and conversation amongst us then that can only be a good thing...

Wartime Table Soccer started with just that...two friends chatting as we all do from time to time about our beloved game...celebrating the highs and mourning the lows...and subsequently...discussing the what ifs...

and what of them?...well across the globe enthusiasts, collectors and dreamers have the same discussions...and with them many great and wonderful ideas may come...or go...we have all been there...

this particular dream led us on a journey...back in time...to the very beginning...to our what if?...

there is no mass production...everything is handmade/hand finished/hand painted to order...using materials that were around back in the day with a modern twist...

thanks to all who have shown an interest...whatever your opinion...

and flick2kick...glad you like the set up...

flick2kick

Post by flick2kick » 08 Apr 2012, 00:16

I am rather suprised that no one has come on the forum and mentioned anything about this Vintage Days table soccer, I notice that they have been selling rather well over the last few months, has any other members on here bought anything ???? would be interested to know if you have and what you think about it......

Return to “Vintage Days”