Vintage Days - Wartime Football

Discussion about the Vintage Days football game.
subbuteokilgallon

Re: Vintage days table soccer

Postby subbuteokilgallon » 15 Sep 2012, 16:37

The rules are also quite interesting, and i think would make play more realistic. For example there are different weighted balls to reflect weather conditions :wink:

Gullseye
Grand Master

Postby Gullseye » 28 Sep 2012, 18:41

This looks so well put together I couldn't resist ordering one with Brighton and Crystal Palace teams. Anybody played the game yet ?

flick2kick
Apprentice

Postby flick2kick » 28 Sep 2012, 21:09

Firstly can i just reiterate what vintage days has already said to everyone in his last post we are not one and the same person and i do not make and sell these products, all i do is buy them from him. Things i have said on here in the past when telling other forum members about the products i have bought seem to have been taken the wrong way and to be honest that is why i have not posted on here for some time, but i hope that this may help to clear things up.....

Hello Gullseye, yes i and other members of our wartime league have been playing with this product for some time now and must admit that everything about the whole vintage game is totally different to playing subbuteo, perhaps not to look at by the average Joe blogs but the real difference in this table football game comes not only from the teams, stadium & pitch (no shoot lines included), goals and footballs which are all unique in themselves, but it’s the way the rules allow you to play what can only be described as proper football, this is also helped by incorporating the unique weather cards and dice into it. I must say that it is rather difficult for me to describe the way it plays to you but, i think that once you have played it you will see what i mean. I do still play subbuteo but now i really do feel that it comes a second best to wartime table football..... This is not a sales pitch for vintage days it’s just my passion overflowing for wartime football.

Gullseye
Grand Master

Postby Gullseye » 28 Sep 2012, 22:03

I gathered it was significantly different to Subbuteo, which is a good thing as far as I'm concerned as otherwise there would be little point in buying it. A few years back one of our supporters produced two superb books, one on the history of the club and also profiles on every player who had ever played for Brighton. All of the war years were covered and its a fascinating period. For a good part of the war Brighton had several of the Liverpool team playing for them as they were stationed in the area. Also being on the flight path to London a lot of the games never made a full 90 minutes because of air raids but the results still stood. I think having a full history of the players will add to the enjoyment of playing the game.

ralphtheclaret

Postby ralphtheclaret » 29 Sep 2012, 09:26

Consider these statements gents

"nothing is a Subbuteo copy or imitation..

:lol: please stop you are making my sides split

" this is not a subbuteo copy or imitation either but is a faithful reproduction of the real game introduced in 1947..."

I have been trying hard since last night to understand this statement...

" but the real difference in this table football game comes not only from the teams, stadium & pitch (no shoot lines included), goals and footballs which are all unique in themselves, but it’s the way the rules allow you to play what can only be described as proper football,"

this is the best one of all dear oh dear oh dear...Subbuteo (you know the game we all love and the one this fellas stuff is blatantly based on)...allows you to play anyway you wish anyone who has ever played me more than once (for example Spud if he is about) will tell you I always play in the style of real football.....its all about imagination lads - you can play subbuteo in many different ways good luck to this chap and his project but with all due respect half the points you make in fact make little sense at all...by the way as regards shoot lines (sic) take a look at a 1950's pitch :wink:
Last edited by ralphtheclaret on 29 Sep 2012, 17:31, edited 1 time in total.

Gullseye
Grand Master

Postby Gullseye » 29 Sep 2012, 09:52

I will reserve my judgement until I've played the game. Not quite sure why people are so protective of Subbuteo when a new product arrives without even trying it. I'm interested in virtually anything football related and nothing is entirely unique. Lets face it Subbuteo was virtually the same as NewFooty but that didn't stop Mr Adolph telling you it was different. All marketing needs to be taken with a pinch of salt.

newgolddream

Postby newgolddream » 29 Sep 2012, 09:52

Things i have said on here in the past when telling other forum members about the products i have bought seem to have been taken the wrong way and to be honest that is why i have not posted on here for some time, but i hope that this may help to clear things up.....

I was under the impression that problem with your past posts was the fact that you slagged off Subbuteokillgallon's painting and then you criticised Calum's work. It had nothing to do with your plugging of VDs product.

ralphtheclaret

Postby ralphtheclaret » 29 Sep 2012, 11:12

I will reserve my judgement until I've played the game. Not quite sure why people are so protective of Subbuteo when a new product arrives without even trying it. I'm interested in virtually anything football related and nothing is entirely unique. Lets face it Subbuteo was virtually the same as NewFooty but that didn't stop Mr Adolph telling you it was different. All marketing needs to be taken with a pinch of salt.
It isn't so much a protection of subbuteo more a questioning of nonsense .. my view is that subbuteo was a clear and blatant derivation as is this product..that isn't a problem decades later so why the need for these mind blowingly pompous posts from the fella/s concerned ?..
Last edited by ralphtheclaret on 29 Sep 2012, 12:26, edited 1 time in total.

Number9
Professional

Postby Number9 » 29 Sep 2012, 12:26

I think that everyone who has played subbuteo will have often sat and thought about the changes that could be made to make the game more interesting to them - I have pondered home and away pitches (astro and baize), different types/styles of bases for different positions on the field, tryed to find rules that would allow the use of the officials during a game (no luck there), recenbtly blocking flicks have been messing with my head too but whatever came out of it there is no way it could not be considered to be derived from subbuteo.

Unless the inventor of this game happened to independently think of using small plastic figures to represent real footballers in a 'replica of Association Football'....

Essentially Ralph is right - its totally immersed in Subbuteo - cant get away from it.

Not knocking it and would love to get hold of a set one day, but its a Subbuteo derivative, and why not accept that??
http://www.pendlefalcon.com

The Traditional Subbuteo Society

We bring our preparation to the table, and opportunity may present itself, and if you are well prepared, you can seize opportunity and then maybe something good happens, and you call that luck.

Michael Mann

krama
Seasoned Professional

Postby krama » 29 Sep 2012, 13:09

Only just seen this thread - dont want to get too embroiled in a debate on this one, as I could bang on indefinately on this............... so suffice to say and for what its worth, my views are exactly the same as Ralph's, which are spot on. Nothing more to add!!

kyushotiger
Apprentice

Postby kyushotiger » 29 Sep 2012, 13:13

As the saying goes, if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...then it's a duck!

flick2kick
Apprentice

Postby flick2kick » 29 Sep 2012, 13:21

all i can say then is quack quack quack New footy !!!!!! because that is where subbuteo came from.......

krama
Seasoned Professional

Postby krama » 29 Sep 2012, 14:54

all i can say then is quack quack quack New footy !!!!!! because that is where subbuteo came from.......
You're very protective of this blatant Subbuteo rip-off .....are you sure you're not connected to it in some way. You must be! :crazyeyes: :lol: :lol:

flick2kick
Apprentice

Postby flick2kick » 29 Sep 2012, 15:16

Krama it would seem what ever comments i make on this forum about these two very different forms of table football i am being cast as having an interest in one of them, a bit like yourself i suppose... ;-) :lol:

krama
Seasoned Professional

Postby krama » 29 Sep 2012, 16:15

Krama it would seem what ever comments i make on this forum about these two very different forms of table football i am being cast as having an interest in one of them, a bit like yourself i suppose... ;-) :lol:

fair enough my friend....I would support and defend Subbuteo to the hilt if need be, for obvious reasons. I guess your defending of the Subbuteo look-a-like game is based purely on being a happy punter, which again is fair enough. I personally still think it "looks" like a Subbuteo wannabee game, and I cannot believe it plays that much differently, bearing in mind what the bases and figures look like. Put it like this - two very different forms of table football, as you call them, would to my mind be the difference between Subbuteo and the pub table football game with rods..you know the one! Subbuteo and your one dont seem THAT different. I'll leave it there......! :wink: :lol:

Return to “Vintage Days”