Waddingtons table soccer

Discussion about table football games other than those listed above
Ozhammer

Waddingtons table soccer

Postby Ozhammer » 13 Nov 2012, 22:01

who else had this one?

This was like tiddly winks soccer and took breaking players to a whole new level..

Also had a game but dont remember what it was called. Help?

Players had little tags on the side of their legs and stood on a base and you pulled their leg back to kick.

pitch was like a light foam. players were about twice the size of Subbuteo from memory.

I painted mine up as Arsenal home and Nth Ireland home, Pat Jennings was my fave keeper at the time.
Attachments
Table-Soccer-Game.jpg
Table-Soccer-Game.jpg (31.5 KiB) Viewed 3105 times

mod79

Re: Waddingtons table soccer

Postby mod79 » 13 Nov 2012, 22:19

Truly dire.

Waddington's must have looked at Subbuteo with envy in the mid 60's.

monocular
Apprentice

Postby monocular » 14 Nov 2012, 18:24

Well I've got to admit I really enjoyed this game, and I had exactly the same box type as shown in the post.

Every fortnight we went to my grandparents house, which was always packed with uncles, aunts etc. and I took this game with me because there was just enough room behind one of the chairs to lay it out and get playing. I played out all the fixtures in Division 1 that season and Bolton Wanderers won. I could never have got Subbuteo out in the confines of that space and with so many clumsy adults about, but this Waddingtons game was spot on for a Saturday.

Of course, back home I was much more attached to the Subbuteo...

Graeme

Jaypeedee
Professional

Postby Jaypeedee » 17 Nov 2012, 11:19

Aesthetically it's no match for subbuteo, of course, but it had/has a certain charm, and playing it well required real skill. It owed a lot to an earlier game called Shoot, of course. I remember my cousin was absolutely superb at it. He could pass unerringly from feet to feet, and hardly ever missed a shot at goal. I think he once beat me 21-2 in a match played over two 10 min halves! :lol:

Ozhammer

Postby Ozhammer » 17 Nov 2012, 11:29

Yeah it was fun to play.
It was great that you could just open the box and unfold the cardboard pitch and line up in no time.
Didnt take up much space which was helpful.
My grandad, bless him, was always on hand with the UHU to make running repairs but once you broke one of these they were rarely the same player, much like Gazza after his knee job.

If i see one local i dont think ill be able to pass it by, just for old times sake.

Jaypeedee
Professional

Postby Jaypeedee » 17 Nov 2012, 12:18

I got one off EBay recently for less than a fiver, in near pristine condition. Only played it once so far, with a mate who'd also had it as a kid, but it was enjoyably nostalgic - plus we managed not to bust any of the players! :D

Ozhammer

Postby Ozhammer » 17 Nov 2012, 13:09

I got one off EBay recently for less than a fiver, in near pristine condition. Only played it once so far, with a mate who'd also had it as a kid, but it was enjoyably nostalgic - plus we managed not to bust any of the players! :D
Good score.
worth that for a blast from the past. I remember them being low scoring games. Wasn't much goal either side of the keeper which made the goals even more enjoyable.

best i can find is US$49 plus post worldwide. Ill keep my eyes open.

Jaypeedee
Professional

Postby Jaypeedee » 17 Nov 2012, 13:30

Good score.
worth that for a blast from the past. I remember them being low scoring games. Wasn't much goal either side of the keeper which made the goals even more enjoyable.

What about http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUBBUTEO-WADD ... 51a42cc282? Any good? At first I thought it didn't have a pitch but it's there on the left of the photo (couldn't see for looking!)

Ozhammer

Postby Ozhammer » 17 Nov 2012, 13:36

Good score.

What about http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUBBUTEO-WADD ... 51a42cc282? Any good? At first I thought it didn't have a pitch but it's there on the left of the photo (couldn't see for looking!)
Cheers mate,
I didnt think to log on ebay.UK, Usually just go on ebay.com.au and search worldwide.
ill ask how much postage is. Thats always the killer blow.

zulublue
Seasoned Professional

Postby zulublue » 19 Jun 2013, 20:14

I got one in really good condition at a car boot sale for 50p and later on sold it for £20. Result then. I preferred Wembley.
Ute :black:
KRO/SOTV

newgolddream

Postby newgolddream » 20 Jun 2013, 01:42

I had Wembley - it was fantastic - lost though...not sure how and when :(

Return to “Other Table Football games”