Ref 146 St Etienne...

The place to post facts and information about the production of Subbuteo and its variations.
spudski

Ref 146 St Etienne...

Postby spudski » 15 Feb 2010, 14:57

This is the second time i've received this team pictured like below.
Black trim and shorts.
The first time, i put it down as a repainted team done by the previous owner.
Anyway this time, the box has European Cup Final 76 written in pen, and the players names written inside.
I youtubed the final, and low and behold St Etienne are playing in Black shorts. :O
The kit in the final also has black trim on the shirt but not the socks.

Strangely both teams i have had like this have come from Glasgow.
Looking at the final, it was played at Hampden Park.
Do you reckon some shop keeper could have had this kit painted up, or some kid has got his brush out again?

All very intrigueing indeed...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wk8Z_Ugr ... 5&index=21" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Last edited by spudski on 15 Feb 2010, 15:35, edited 1 time in total.

ralphtheclaret

Re: Ref 146 St Etienne...

Postby ralphtheclaret » 15 Feb 2010, 15:05

If you look at the youtube footage they seem to have the usual Red/White/Blue collars and cuffs

or are they red/white/black ? could be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X16llX5UVlw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

spudski

Postby spudski » 15 Feb 2010, 15:10

You're right Ralph...which makes this even more strange.

Why would two teams turn up in this kit?

ralphtheclaret

Postby ralphtheclaret » 15 Feb 2010, 15:14

nice team whatever its origins....strange that the shirt trim and sock tops have been added you'd think the black shorts would have done to
represent the final kit ?

spudski

Postby spudski » 15 Feb 2010, 15:34

I know Ralph...which makes me think it was done by SSG, because there was more chance of them getting it wrong than an individual. :roll:
I love it when you get names of players and hand written stuff on teams, it gives it so much more personality.

spudski

Postby spudski » 16 Feb 2010, 10:18

Hey Ralph...Reckon i should have put this thread in the Ebay section...seems no one wants to talk about Subbuteo collecting anymore. Just ebay and repainters... :roll: :(

We should call this forum the Ebay and Post office enquiries forum...just joshing chaps, but it is getting a bit boring when all the activity on this forum is on the ebay section :(

Anyone got any new or interesting teams in lately? :wink:

Can i ask also the reason why we were not allowed to discuss teams posted in the photo reference section?
Is it space? Just thought we missed an opportunity to get some collecting chat going.
Now the index is in place, i can't work out the reason why?
Can someone enlighten me please.

Cheers

Ian

Neil
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Neil » 16 Feb 2010, 10:54

Ian,

The Reference Photo section was set up following requests from forum members for a place to hold photos without comments - see the discussion here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11181" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regarding your 146, very nice looking team.
Isn't it likely that someone (maybe SSG) decided to cash in on the European Cup Final being played at Hampden and produced the two teams - Bayern Munich (all white ref 21) and St Etienne (modified ref 146).

I don't think they would have been very much aware of the correct trims as these would not have been mentioned in the description of the team colours available before the game.

spudski

Postby spudski » 16 Feb 2010, 12:11

Thanks for clearing that up Neil. I presumed that was the case, but wasn't 100%
I also agree with you regarding the ref 146, although i am unaware of any other occasions, apart from Catalogued versions, of where SSG has taken advantage of the Europen Cup finals and others, and altered the trim of teams or even painted new versions.
Tbh, that's why i started the thread, to find out whether anyone has come across anything similar.
I would have thought it would be a simple thing to do by SSG and also quiet lucrative.

many thanks again

Ian

Neil
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Neil » 16 Feb 2010, 13:45

Could this have been a case of Special Service - some enterprising person in Glasgow, realising the European Cup Final was coming up, contacted SSG and placed an order?

There was a shop near me in Nottingham that regularly had Subbuteo non catalogue teams in the 1970s, which included kits that were similar to those worn by teams in big games, especially when Forest were on their European Cup adventures.

spudski

Postby spudski » 16 Feb 2010, 14:17

That's what i thought would probably happen Neil.
The fact that both teams i received with the black shorts, came from Glasgow, raised my suspicions.
I reckon, in the past, many collectors have dismissed these types of teams as repaints. Which is a shame.
Provenance and little bits of info attached obviously help with authenticity, so i'm happy to keep this one 8)

ralphtheclaret

Postby ralphtheclaret » 16 Feb 2010, 15:53

I'd imagine they were done by SSG after the final..who would have known before hand that Bayern would inexplicably play in All White ..if they'd played in any of their Red variants of the time there would have been no need for the Black shorts ? unless of course it was agreed before hand they may have changed the kits due to Black/White TV still a common problem then....mmmmm I bet thats the answer Bayern to play in White St.E in Black shorts for TV reasons ......

spudski

Postby spudski » 16 Feb 2010, 16:52

I agree with you also Ralph, Black and White TV. I can hear the dulcet tones of the commentator now, saying who was playing in the dark kits.
I can also remember watching snooker in B&W... :lol!:

ralphtheclaret

Postby ralphtheclaret » 16 Feb 2010, 19:29

Yes I think we had a colour TV by then, I'd guess we had one from the 73 Cup Final ish onwards but I remember the Black/White TV very well..I remember watching Bayern rob Leeds blind in glorious technicolour in 75...happy days :clap:... watched West Ham v Anderlecht again on ESPN not long ago that was a great CWC Final (with apologies to our Hammers fans)...

Neil
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Neil » 16 Feb 2010, 19:47

[quote="spudski"
I can also remember watching snooker in B&W... :lol!:[/quote]

"For those of you watching in black and white, the pink is behind the green"

Heavyweight021
Grand Master

Postby Heavyweight021 » 24 Feb 2010, 10:30