Which team is it?

The place to post facts and information about the production of Subbuteo and its variations.
cityfan247
Professional

Re: Which team is it?

Postby cityfan247 » 11 Mar 2018, 19:26

I understand where you are coming from Ralph.

The influx of money has made the club unrecognisable from the one I first started watching 35 years ago. We've gone from the (relatively likeable ...well to some anyway as we werent Man U) under achievers to a successful club and that inevitably broadens the fanbase far and wide.

We're still a proper football club i feel, not quite to the Man U level of themeworld experience (well not yet anyway). I am not a Muncunian myself and even back in the 70's and 80's we did attract a significant support nationwide. But of course the vast majority of fans would have been from Greater Manchester as you say. I used to travel by train to games (home and away) at lot of the time and we had a little group of us who would meet up....from Grimsby, Lincoln, Retford, Doncaster & Sheffield.

When the Shiekh money first came in I did wonder if it would still feel like my club. Naturally the club has changed. But to be honest would i swap League Titles and potential European success for a defeat on a depressing afternoon at Bootham Crescent (1998 in case you are wondering)........er no!!

Still I do look back fondly back to the old days ...sometimes good....mostly bad.

But i remember at school how cool those 74 away shirts looked. Numbers on the shoulders.....classic. Would have loved a replica kit but not something i would have found on the shelves of the local sports shops in Lincolnshire. And as I said THAT team of Liono's would have been my pride and joy if i had it.

Mind you i doubt it would have remained in such good condition. The play wear would have been quite significant.

ralphtheclaret
Grand Master

Postby ralphtheclaret » 11 Mar 2018, 19:57

very odd place to go as an away fan not downright dangerous like Maine Road but odd bordering on the surreal ... we were in the same division in 1998 I haven't forgotten ;)

cityfan247
Professional

Postby cityfan247 » 11 Mar 2018, 20:37

Maine Road dangerous....surely not.

I remember my car wouldnt start after a game once. Had to call the breakdown services who took forever it seemed. Even I was a tad uncomfortable whilst I waited. Moss Side could be scary especially after dark.

That season was my only visit to York with City. It was near Christmas ,it was cold and wet and we were poo. I remember walking out of the ground thinking when was the nightmare going to end . We were on a bad run (something like 2 wins in 15 games). I recall we scraped a lucky draw at home your boys not log before during that run.

We were not far of the relegation places. Relegation to Division 4 was a very real possibility at that point. Probably my lowest point as a City fan.

But i liked York as an away day. Been a couple of times watching Grimsby as well. What struck me was that away from the immediate vicinity of the football ground you'd never know a game was on. People would be going about their day oblivious to any football.

rossobantam
Forum Newbie

Postby rossobantam » 11 Mar 2018, 22:26

But i liked York as an away day. Been a couple of times watching Grimsby as well. What struck me was that away from the immediate vicinity of the football ground you'd never know a game was on. People would be going about their day oblivious to any football.

Lovely 'proper' old footy ground .....open terraces, ground nestled in Victorian semis resid area, loads of great boozers to choose from (away from town centre try Minster Arms, on Marygate right under city walls on way up to ground)

ralphtheclaret
Grand Master

Postby ralphtheclaret » 12 Mar 2018, 09:36

Anywhere and everywhere was hard work with Burnley until recent times .... not exactly angelic our away followings , that 2-2 draw at Maine Road was a classic day out City equalised in injury time the prelude to a lot of trouble in Rusholme and back to the city centre , I think City played Millwall at home around that time another big flash point ...

York and Scarborough I could tell you tales all day long and seriously not one of them far fetched ...North Yorkshire Police had a major sense of humour failure with travelling Clarets in those days after a riot at York in 84 and a battle with Leeds at Scarborough in 87 ... I nearly got nicked in Skipton once for dodging a road block to go into town with my wife ... who is originally from ? yes Skipton :roll: ... they used to block every roundabout and pub from York to the Lancashire border near Earby even though Skipton itself is home to plenty of Clarets ...

Not my thing really but in what is still a very small town I knew/know most of the participants :roll:

cityfan247
Professional

Postby cityfan247 » 12 Mar 2018, 18:29

Yes Ralph things have changed these days. Dont see much trouble compared to the 80's.

Ironically there was a bit of a disturbance at the Grimsby v Port Vale game i went to at the weekend. First trouble I have seen in a ground in a long time.

Like you I never sought any bovver but it was pretty hard to avoid it sometimes. You sometimes got caught up in the melee. I dont recall any problems when I have seen Burnley at City or Grimsby. Never been to Turf Moor. Dont know why as I've done most grounds that way.

I dont think I went to that Millwall game you mentioned but had some run ins with them before. The Old Den was a trip and a half.

Middlesbrough, Leeds, Sheff Utd, Derby, Stoke & Birmingham were 'memorable' away days as well.

Whenever Stoke came to City it was an adventure before and after as i was usually arriving at & leaving from Piccadilly at the same time. They had more than their fair share of idiots.

Wacca
ISF 2018-19 Subscriber
ISF 2018-19 Subscriber

Postby Wacca » 12 Mar 2018, 19:40

Anywhere and everywhere was hard work with Burnley until recent times .... not exactly angelic our away followings , that 2-2 draw at Maine Road was a classic day out City equalised in injury time the prelude to a lot of trouble in Rusholme and back to the city centre , I think City played Millwall at home around that time another big flash point ...

York and Scarborough I could tell you tales all day long and seriously not one of them far fetched ...North Yorkshire Police had a major sense of humour failure with travelling Clarets in those days after a riot at York in 84 and a battle with Leeds at Scarborough in 87 ... I nearly got nicked in Skipton once for dodging a road block to go into town with my wife ... who is originally from ? yes Skipton :roll: ... they used to block every roundabout and pub from York to the Lancashire border near Earby even though Skipton itself is home to plenty of Clarets ...

Not my thing really but in what is still a very small town I knew/know most of the participants :roll:
As a naive teenager in early 1980s I remember walking into The Turf pub with my mate who had a Wolves pin badge on. Not one of our wisest moves ...

ralphtheclaret
Grand Master

Postby ralphtheclaret » 12 Mar 2018, 20:50

No especially back then ... I've lived here for all of my 52 years and I never frequent any of the pubs on Yorkshire Street ...not great ;)

Return to “Reference Section”