Custom pitch

Post pictures of your stadiums here
NicolasP
Professional

Custom pitch

Post by NicolasP » 19 Jul 2014, 20:44

Has anyone ever made a custom pitch from material they bought themselves?
I'm looking for the best material and also the best way to mark out the lines e.t.c.
Not looking for that damned 21 anymore :clap: :clap:

delta2
Apprentice

Re: Custom pitch

Post by delta2 » 20 Jul 2014, 06:10

Pool or snooker felt, colour of choice on eBay, mask with tape and use a spray can to mark. Not cheap though.

Or some felt from the fabric shop cheap felt will ball up.

rigger67

Post by rigger67 » 20 Jul 2014, 10:26

I've got an entire cloth from a full-size snooker table.
It's dusty as .. but I couldn't resist taking it when the tables at the students' union where I work were re-covered a year or so ago. It's been under my desk ever since, though I did have a vague plan to make a pitch myself.

I think white paint markers might be worth a go.
If you stretch the cloth out and iron it till you're happy, you could then start with one long side of the pitch by using a length of straight wood to make sure you cover the entire distance - you wouldn't want to start "painting" that line with a 30cm ruler.
Then use a square to mark out the right angle for the goal-line, etc ..

The paint marker pens you could use are made by Uniball and come in a massive array of colours and sizes, but the ones you'd probably want are the PX-20 Medium, which has a line size of 2.2 - 2.8mm and is available in white. I sell these pens in the shop I run at the university and they're the type that's used for those amazing blackboard-style pub advertising boards you see these days, as opposed to the ratty old chalk jobbies done by the ratty old barmaid back in the day :D
They're really easy to use and they're permanent.

In fact, now I come to think about it I quite fancy having a go myself !

This is the page on the Uniball website for that particular marker:
http://www.uniball.co.uk/Products/Marke ... edium.aspx

Here's a list of UK dealers:
http://www.uniball.co.uk/Stockists.aspx

Number9
Professional

Post by Number9 » 20 Jul 2014, 11:19

I have made a few pitches out of different pool/snooker leftovers, it all gets a bit involved, but have a look on my website for the rundown....couldn't type it all up here!

I use Posca paintmarker - but have reports that it doesn't work so well on some types of cloth. Best thing to do is mark out using white pencil (used for making baulk lines on snooker tables) then go over with the paint marker...
http://www.pendlefalcon.com

The Traditional Subbuteo Society

We bring our preparation to the table, and opportunity may present itself, and if you are well prepared, you can seize opportunity and then maybe something good happens, and you call that luck.

Michael Mann

NicolasP
Professional

Post by NicolasP » 20 Jul 2014, 12:45

Number9 wrote:I have made a few pitches out of different pool/snooker leftovers, it all gets a bit involved, but have a look on my website for the rundown....couldn't type it all up here!

I use Posca paintmarker - but have reports that it doesn't work so well on some types of cloth. Best thing to do is mark out using white pencil (used for making baulk lines on snooker tables) then go over with the paint marker...
Ah I have had a look. Great site btw.
Unfortunately, though the markings are ideal, I'm intending to go for a fiveside pitch.
I've heard that liquid tippex may do the trick. There's a particular one with a brush that may come in handy.

Focus On
Grand Master

Post by Focus On » 20 Jul 2014, 16:48

or buy a fooking original from 1967 for f a off ebay
Bored to FLICK

NicolasP
Professional

Post by NicolasP » 20 Jul 2014, 16:54

Focus On wrote:or buy a fooking original from 1967 for f a off ebay
Got plenty of originals, was looking to make on for fivesides.
Astrobase has a pretty good version but if I could make one myself that's cheaper...

Return to “Members Stadiums”