A few teams and a question...

Post your pictures of custom painted players.
cityfan247
Professional

Re: A few teams and a question...

Postby cityfan247 » 06 Oct 2016, 19:11

I dont usually mix black I simply use out of the tin but find the Revell matt black looks better than the Humbrol.

The Revell red is simply way off however.

spudski
Grand Master

Postby spudski » 06 Oct 2016, 21:26

I've found the Revell 'Tar' colour the best to use Ian. Like you say, way much better than humbrol for colour match.
Image There is only one life....yours...LIVE IT

Focus On
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber

Postby Focus On » 07 Oct 2016, 07:38

I have a recipe for every colour that i've used for so long i ain't changing it now...
all colours are hitable, though green is a c#nt
Tatran Presov Hooligans 'C' Section!!

spudski
Grand Master

Postby spudski » 07 Oct 2016, 09:29

I don't blame you Mark...it's soooooo laborious...although fulfilling when you get it right.

The 'Subbuteo' Green is available in a tin...but it's Gloss...so you have to matt it right down. Revell do it.

ogi71
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber

Postby ogi71 » 07 Oct 2016, 12:21

colour perception is a great topic. afaik green is always a problem to match as humans are able to perceive more shades in green than any other colours. colours will also change significantly (to our eyes) depending on the other colours around them (and lighting!). so basically to colour match you have to isolate a colour. (and even then you've only really colour matched it for your eyes). this explains some of the problem:

http://blog.xrite.com/color-perception- ... -of-light/

but for me matching any colours with humbrol was a mare, the problem is the colour changes when it dries, which can take 24 hours, so given that you'll have to go up or down a tone 10+ times the process is relatively laborious. it also needs to be done on the actual figure as the surface changes colour too. however when I moved to acrylics which have a super fast drying time I can now get a match in a couple of hours. I allow a one-tone difference (for my eyes). however take a photo next to an original and blow it up and you will always notice the different in "finish", afaik this is always going to be different because of the modern ingredients of the paint (no lead etc.). i guess the only way round this is to make your own "deadly" lead based paint from scratch.

Focus On
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber

Postby Focus On » 07 Oct 2016, 14:11

Another prob with the green is in bulk it looks darker than on a stripe, as the paint is being pulled/ stretched..

you need to remember too that a mint SSG green will look lighter than a playworn SSG green due to UV/greasy finger contact

Really for a nr as damn it SSG clone green you only need two current humbrol matt colours at a mix of 3-1
Don't ask me to photograph it my camera hates greens and makes them look darker than they are, see my last Scalex post the Europa Vee is actually 'apple' green not that you'd know

jozza800
Apprentice

Postby jozza800 » 07 Oct 2016, 14:55

I have a recipe for every colour that i've used for so long i ain't changing it now...
all colours are hitable, though green is a c#nt
If it doesn't come straight out of the pot, im not interested :D
Follow me on Twitter @CustomFlicks

Visit my website http://www.customflicks.co.uk

Look out for my work on Ebay.

spudski
Grand Master

Postby spudski » 07 Oct 2016, 16:45

Great post Oggi and Mark...spot on both of you.

Another thing worth mentioning...is how Matt SSG original paint is, compared to Matt in a modern humbrol tin now.

Old SSG, the matting agent was solid...now it's a liquid. It makes a massive difference...as modern humbrol is definitely less matt, if you get my drift.

ogi71
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber

Postby ogi71 » 07 Oct 2016, 20:00

Great post Oggi and Mark...spot on both of you.
...as modern humbrol is definitely less matt, if you get my drift.
you're right Ian, modern Humbrol doesn't have anything like the matt finish of the old stuff. all those lovely toxic chemicals! with the help of matting agents you can get close to this, but still not the same "finish" under the magnifying glass. only way is to discover the original paint formula and remake it.

interestingly a few years ago i got my hands on a load of 70s humbrol, mostly unopened, you can pick them up now and again on ebay, the quality of the paint was light years better, lovely smooth, deep, matt colours, but.......not a single one matched any Subbuteo colour. I kept a few (never used them), but sold the rest.

must admit though that these days I've stopped matching to Subbuteo colours in favour of matching to the actual kit colours, which as we all know Subbuteo totally ignored. straight out of the bottle there are some great paint colour ranges that allow you to do this, although I think my collection of paint is becoming some sort of addiction. :lol!:

spudski
Grand Master

Postby spudski » 07 Oct 2016, 21:51

Interesting that none of the Humbrol colours matched that of SSG mate.

I think Terry on the forum found similar results when he tried using some old paints from the 70's...open to correction though.

If so...it definitely opens some questions.

Focus On
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber

Postby Focus On » 08 Oct 2016, 07:12

Could it possibly be that SSG commissioned certain shades from Airfix/Humbrol?
As a business it would have made economic sense to have had some ongoing deal with them, (even if it was just bulk purchase price reductions) otherwise the outworkers would have been going to the nearest hobby shop all the time...there MUST have been some sort of plan/arrangement surely?

also re finish, i see it more clearly on 1-32 figures as they are three times the size of OO, the yellows esp have a lovely matt flat finish
Attachments
002.JPG
002.JPG (755.08 KiB) Viewed 528 times

Brad-Man
Forum Newbie

Postby Brad-Man » 08 Oct 2016, 09:08

Is the fourth team down Borussia Moenchengladbach ? Love that team and their kits through the 70's. I painted the kit they wore against Liverpool in the UEFA Cup and still have the team.

On a different tack - when I was too young to paint my own teams, my dad painted them for me (he was a graphic artist and very skilful at painting) and one thing he did was paint the tops of the bases green so that the bases blended more to the pitch. Not for everyone, but it does accentuate the players.

spudski
Grand Master

Postby spudski » 08 Oct 2016, 09:48

I think I remember Krama saying he remembers seeing box's of Humbrol at the SSG factory Mark.

You can certainly see that Matt finish on those 1/32 figures. The same on the Statues. You actually see the real colour better.

@Brad-man...the fourth team down is a Pisa 2nd. I agree about the 'gladbach teams...some classics they've had.

ogi71
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber

Postby ogi71 » 08 Oct 2016, 11:28

were the painted spectators (and other figures) done using the same colours as the teams?

spudski
Grand Master

Postby spudski » 08 Oct 2016, 11:52

I think so mate.

Return to “Members Custom Paint Jobs”