Spectator gallery

Post your pictures of custom painted players.
MahlerOO5
Grand Master

Post by MahlerOO5 » 09 Jul 2008, 19:01

Anyone got any pics to post here...Red-Blue maybe ...

I need inspiration, getting bored, need to see some new styles to get excited about...

Anyone...
HW teams needed- 237
OHW; 37,38
RugbyHW: 9,24,27,29,31,33,36 Celluloids: 28 green;39;55

From red to blue

Post by From red to blue » 09 Jul 2008, 22:19

Sorry mate, I'd love to share what I've done so far but my Mac can't do photobucket. The finished ones are really quite nice, but they are few. Since your incredible 500-specs-in-a-month feat I decided to production-line my spec painting to get the numbers up. Instead of doing bits and bobs on 50-100 at any one time, feet here, trousers there, and so on, I've been painting exclusively legs - 1,600 of them so far :O each in realistic colours of jeans, khakis etc. It's an absolute chore that's almost ground to a halt (I haven't painted anything for about a week) but I've got just 2 more colours to do, and then I'm going to switch to tops, heads, and feet, and I can't wait! Boring as hell, but it's probably the best way to crack on. I've just varnished the bottom half of about 80 finished ones - once I've done the tops I'll have a go at posting some pics from a windows machine. It'll be worth waiting for, I promise :thumbsup:

MahlerOO5
Grand Master

Post by MahlerOO5 » 10 Jul 2008, 04:44

Wow, that does sound like a slow process but I'm sure you must be creating great results...

If you like I could always post images on your behalf if you email them to me

At the moment I'm averaging around 50 specs per week.

I'm also currently painting some 1:72 soldiers (Napoleonic armies) for my lad to play with. This has given me the idea of painting a few Scottish fans wearing tartan...will post results if they look half decent...

Cheers

Steve
HW teams needed- 237
OHW; 37,38

From red to blue

Post by From red to blue » 11 Jul 2008, 22:42

The Scots in Tartan - now that *is* a challenge! Thinned paint maybe? Perhaps a Photoshop Tartan tutorial would help (not sure if they exist but might give some clues on how to lay down the layers of colour)? Looking forward to the results! Don't forget the Tennents Super - no Scottish fan would be seen deed without one! ;-)

Gary

Post by Gary » 11 Jul 2008, 23:27

wouldnt decals be easier for the tartan army? or is that a forbidden word for spectators? :)

Gary

MahlerOO5
Grand Master

Post by MahlerOO5 » 12 Jul 2008, 08:16

this is probably what I'll be aiming for in terms of tartan kit

http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Rev ... &code=6004

anyone remember Roller Stroller trousers... :lol!:
HW teams needed- 237
OHW; 37,38

MahlerOO5
Grand Master

Post by MahlerOO5 » 12 Jul 2008, 08:19

decals!!!! :noway:
HW teams needed- 237
OHW; 37,38

From red to blue

Post by From red to blue » 13 Jul 2008, 00:53

I remember Bay City Rollers! Totally tartan.

Decaled specs - an abomination that it is SO NOT ON. :noway: at least, not until I've had the chance to show off my own :lol!:

PhippsFlix

Post by PhippsFlix » 28 Aug 2008, 21:18

Slightly away from the topic(not by much though I hope).....
I'm keeping my eyes open for a load of spare spectators for an idea of my own.
I'm going to need a load of "Hoolies"(as Greavsie used to call 'em) to put on one of the Stations I'm intending to install on my loft railway layout.I don't want to overdo it as such,but the layout is intended to be set in the 1970s,so I'm going to need a load of football hooligans to give it some realism.
Even better if there's a load of rivals to put on another platform.

I have already intended using some spare matchday photographers as trainspotting-types.....
Saved me a lot of extra work
Good old Charles Staddon.........

thefingerismakingmeflick

Post by thefingerismakingmeflick » 29 Aug 2008, 11:21

I am involved in a supporter-exchange with someone in Italy who is also making a stadium.

he is sending me 5 Pescara supporters and I am sending him 5 Southend Utd supporters.

he tells me that his Pescara supporters have proposed a "gemellaggio" (friendship among supporters) agreement so my lot don't get a hard time when they arrive! :biggrin:

Anyway, here they are before the trip (quite excited on the whole :-) ). I have been working on some hybrid projects and using 'green stuff' for the scarves...

From red to blue

Post by From red to blue » 07 Nov 2008, 19:17

Great work Fingers, especially on the floppy scarf nearest.

I'm guessing the bottoms are three ballboys, one photographer, and one 'bowling' sub, and the tops are two specs, two linesmen, and one thrower in (could be a LW keeper). Am I close?

thefingerismakingmeflick

Post by thefingerismakingmeflick » 08 Nov 2008, 00:00

The science of creating spectator hybrids!! :lol!:

OK here we go as far as I recall...
From red to blue wrote: I'm guessing the bottoms are three ballboys (one trainer, one physio, and one linesman*), one photographer (yep), and one 'bowling' sub tracksuited figure, and the tops are two (three) specs, two (one) linesmen, and one thrower in (could be a LW keeper (yep)). Am I close?
*Linesman figure is complete apart from one arm 'cut and pasted'.

Tracksuited figure:
http://www.peter-upton.co.uk/sub8.htm#C ... ench%20Set.

Physio (the one carrying a bag), Trainer (just above the crouching goalies):
http://www.peter-upton.co.uk/sub7.htm#C ... %20manager.

From red to blue

Post by From red to blue » 14 Nov 2008, 23:13

Well, 7 out of 10* isn't bad I suppose, if that indeed was my score. :blink: Maths was never my strong point.
*Linesman figure is complete apart from one arm 'cut and pasted'.
Ha ha! If only it were that simple, eh?

*Tracksuited figure = 'bowling sub' down our way, so I'm counting that one as a win. :biggrin:

Owensdabomb

Post by Owensdabomb » 29 Nov 2008, 07:35

dougal wrote:Thanks for that feedback

I had the advantage of a final 2 week's gardening leave before I started a new job...plus the wife was away with the kids for a chunk of that...

So I've had a few hours at it...but even so I think using Humbrol paints probably speeds things up. I find one coat usually enough, and most of the colours I use straight from the tin.

Having said that I confess that I haven't done any varnishing yet. That's why I haven't posted up any of the figures where I've used gloss paint. I have a pot of Mattcote, but in the past I've generally used Revell Matt Varnish.

I don't use acrylics much other than Tamiya White, which I find covers a bit better than Humbrol white. I've been thinking of trying a few more Tamiya paints...I wonder if anyone can advise whether this is a good idea

The other thing I use (sparingly) is that Neil Lishman (Stefan Corda) gave some pots of his own acrylic paint to try out a couple of years ago. e.g. There are pots of Violet, Old Gold and Mediterranean Tan that I use occasionally (the basic colours were used up a long time ago). I also have a pot of Neil's varnish, but I've never opened it to try...

I do mix some Humbrol colours...e.g. Orange Lining to get a tangerine, and the Gloss Pink and Purples to get paler shades.

I use White Spirit to clean up my brushes afterwards.

Zeugo figures are less detailed, but it comes down to finances - you can buy Zeugos for about 8p per figure which is pretty cheap really.

Cheers

Steve
where do you get zuego figures for 8p per figure?

thefingerismakingmeflick

Post by thefingerismakingmeflick » 29 Nov 2008, 11:16

Here's the cheapest I can find...9p per figure.

http://www.subbuteoworld.co.uk/product_ ... ts_id=2441

Return to “Members Custom Paint Jobs”