Undercoat, shading, or not?

Post your pictures of custom painted players.
Jester

Undercoat, shading, or not?

Postby Jester » 21 Dec 2008, 01:44

I am another wargamer coming into Subby and wanted to know what you guys do with your players?
I'm thinking of doing a team in mainly white but with a colour trim and was wondering whether it would be best to undercoat in a light gray and work a white over it or is there not enough detail on a Subby player to do this?

Thanks guys.

MahlerOO5
Grand Master

Postby MahlerOO5 » 21 Dec 2008, 10:17

I havent done it myself but I trhink that the classic HW figure might repay the extra care...there's a few folds in the shirt and the scuplting of the face is quite delicate compared to modern alternatives...

What period do you wargame...
HW teams needed- 237
OHW; 37,38
RugbyHW: 9,24,27,29,31,33,36 Celluloids: 28 green;39;55

Jester

Postby Jester » 21 Dec 2008, 10:56

10mm Normans at the moment, only problem with 10mm is that you get 30 foot to a unit and that means a hella lotta painting.

Then there's the obvious WH40k which everyone who has ever wargamed has played and it is great fun.

I used to play a lot of Steam Punk years ago and met some good people playing it. I've also got Cowboys which I've promised myself I'll paint one day, it's a bit quicker to host the shootout at the OK coral than it is to invade England or lay siege to Antioch.

spudski

Postby spudski » 21 Dec 2008, 11:33

i used to use a product when model painting,that was specifically for giving depth to the model/figure.It looked like dirty water.Basically all the 'dirt' sat & dried in the crease/fold & the rest dried clear.Therefore giving a more 3D effect.Came in a 'humbrol' like tin.Can't remember who made it though.Saved highlighting any model.Although i used to drybrush an accent colour on raised surfaces especially if it was to represent metal.
They probably still make it.It was a Godsend.

MahlerOO5
Grand Master

Postby MahlerOO5 » 30 Dec 2008, 13:33

10mm Normans at the moment, only problem with 10mm is that you get 30 foot to a unit and that means a hella lotta painting.

Then there's the obvious WH40k which everyone who has ever wargamed has played and it is great fun.

I used to play a lot of Steam Punk years ago and met some good people playing it. I've also got Cowboys which I've promised myself I'll paint one day, it's a bit quicker to host the shootout at the OK coral than it is to invade England or lay siege to Antioch.
Re: Cowboys etc.

I'm in the mood for doing something like that....just been watching this footage of old Eagles stuff....(wasnt sure whether to post it in the music section or here...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flip ... re=related

Plus I'm re-reading Flashman and the Redskins (6th time or something...) great stuff
HW teams needed- 237
OHW; 37,38
RugbyHW: 9,24,27,29,31,33,36 Celluloids: 28 green;39;55

Return to “Members Custom Paint Jobs”