need some help!!

The place for threads about playing tactics/techniques/rules etc.
jason
Forum Newbie

need some help!!

Postby jason » 02 Feb 2018, 19:45

Hello,just got back into subbuteo after a 30 year break.I had LW teams and a 82 world cup edition boxset.I know some play with LW,HW and even zeugo but when people say they play old subbuteo what era,rules is that.confused.com

BlackpoolRock
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber

Re: need some help!!

Postby BlackpoolRock » 02 Feb 2018, 20:58

Welcome back to Subbuteo, Jason. May you enjoy it as much as, and hopefully more than, you did all those years ago.

It is certainly a maze regarding rules and eras, so hopefully I can at least provide a brief introduction.

Old Subbuteo refers to the original game, through to, roughly, the end of the sixties or early seventies. In those days the game was much slower, and suggested playing time was twenty-five minutes each half. There were two sets of rules included in each box set, the elementary and the Advanced, which were, we were told, "intended for the more experienced player." Included in the Advanced Rules were Defensive Flicks, and "Organising", among other developments. Unlike later versions, the defensive flicks were allocated in quotas of three, and the attacking player was obliged to allow his opponent time to take them.

These early rules were written with the original 'flat' playing figures in mind, and the original HWs, when they arrived on the scene in the early sixties.

By the mid-seventies, the game was quickened up considerably, the two sets of rules combined, and duration shortened to ten minutes each half. I would think this is when you became familiar with the game, with the box sets containing LW teams.

Since then there have been changes to the design of playing figures, as well as the introduction of the more modern and faster astropitches.

There are many members of this forum who can, and probably will, provide you with more precise detail of rules and developments over the years, but hopefully this can provide a fairly understandable introduction for you.

The main thing is, now you've returned, best wishes for your future enjoyment of the game.

HSV66
Forum Newbie

Postby HSV66 » 07 Feb 2018, 20:13

Old Subbuteo refers to the original game, through to, roughly, the end of the sixties or early seventies. In those days the game was much slower, and suggested playing time was twenty-five minutes each half. There were two sets of rules included in each box set, the elementary and the Advanced, which were, we were told, "intended for the more experienced player." Included in the Advanced Rules were Defensive Flicks, and "Organising", among other developments. Unlike later versions, the defensive flicks were allocated in quotas of three, and the attacking player was obliged to allow his opponent time to take them.

These early rules were written with the original 'flat' playing figures in mind, and the original HWs, when they arrived on the scene in the early sixties.
No it doesn't in fact old subbuteo refers to the ethos and set of rules developed by the Italian oldsubbuteo community and has nothing to do with the flat figures which pre-date the arrival of Subbuteo in Italy .Old subbuteo fixtures most certainly do not include twenty five minute halves three defensive flicks or a turn based approach

http://oldsubbuteo.forumfree.it/

HSV66
Forum Newbie

Postby HSV66 » 07 Feb 2018, 20:23

BlackpoolRock
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber

Postby BlackpoolRock » 07 Feb 2018, 21:55

Thank you, HSV66, and apologies for any confusion I caused.

I, wrongly, assumed that Jason, as a new member, may have been referring to the original game. Also, with a title of "Old Subbuteo," I had always thought the idea was to stick to the original rules of the game as accurately as possible.

HSV66
Forum Newbie

Postby HSV66 » 08 Feb 2018, 08:07

Thank you, HSV66, and apologies for any confusion I caused.

I, wrongly, assumed that Jason, as a new member, may have been referring to the original game. Also, with a title of "Old Subbuteo," I had always thought the idea was to stick to the original rules of the game as accurately as possible.
No need for apologies , the original rules do not work especially in a tournament situation . As you know there are far too many grey areas once you get more than two people playing the original rules add up to mayhem many players had abandoned the Subbuteo rules by the mid 1960's and were playing to the ETF style rules. The oldsubbuteo rules as devised by the Italian community represent a more comprehensive re-writing of the advanced rules and are in my opinion the best set of rules out there.

Return to “Playing: Rules/Techniques/Tactics Section”