Goal styles

The place for threads about playing tactics/techniques/rules etc.
Number9
Professional

Goal styles

Postby Number9 » 07 Mar 2013, 18:06

I am thinking about making myself some goals (size NN) to go with the small ball.

I have a few ideas about how to go about it, and have been looking at existing goal designs, old and modern.

I notice that original goals have a bar across the back (the GK rod passing underneath it) - which is different to some of the later goals and also some of the modern ones which dont have a bar.

Question is - is a back bar essential for a goal? - was it just to hold the goal together? or does it have an important function in play, stopping the GK being lifted right up to the crossbar? - what are the advantages/disadvantages?

Any views/thoughts please!
http://www.pendlefalcon.com

The Traditional Subbuteo Society

We bring our preparation to the table, and opportunity may present itself, and if you are well prepared, you can seize opportunity and then maybe something good happens, and you call that luck.

Michael Mann

ralphtheclaret

Re: Goal styles

Postby ralphtheclaret » 07 Mar 2013, 18:56

I've got a couple of sets of the wire type and also two sets of the later plastic goals all have the bar .. it doesn't have much impact on reaching high shots .. with the wire keeper rods and the wire goals none at all - it maybe restricts movement a little bit with the plastic rod/plastic goals combination but not much.

Number9
Professional

Postby Number9 » 07 Mar 2013, 19:59

Cheers Ralph,

Hopefully the design I have in mind will be stable enough without a back bar, makes it a lot easier to build - and I dont have to learn how to weld! :lol:

We bring our preparation to the table, and opportunity may present itself, and if you are well prepared, you can seize opportunity and then maybe something good happens, and you call that luck.

Michael Mann

ralphtheclaret

Postby ralphtheclaret » 07 Mar 2013, 20:03

:lol:

lionofludesch
Grand Master

Postby lionofludesch » 09 Mar 2013, 16:24

The back bar is for resting your keeper rod on.

Making it easier to pick up.

It's a common misconception that the rod should go under the back bar.

Also, from an engineering point of view, it does add strength but this might not matter if you can add strength from some other source.
FIFA World Cuptipping competition
Winner 2010 and, joint with Takis,2014

® :angry:

ralphtheclaret

Postby ralphtheclaret » 09 Mar 2013, 16:41

It's a common misconception that the rod should go under the back bar.
possibly the most common misconception of all time :wink: :lol:

Number9
Professional

Postby Number9 » 09 Mar 2013, 17:18

I had the wrong idea. Thanks!

Michael Mann

ralphtheclaret

Postby ralphtheclaret » 09 Mar 2013, 17:21

I wouldn't worry about it Steve you would be in a small minority of almost everyone :wink:

lionofludesch
Grand Master

Postby lionofludesch » 09 Mar 2013, 19:06

Your Swiss came up with a belting design with two back bars.

lionofludesch
Grand Master

Postby lionofludesch » 09 Mar 2013, 19:10

I wouldn't worry about it Steve you would be in a small minority of almost everyone :wink:
You need to open your mind to new ideas, mate. Soccer's been slow to cope with change - numbers on the backs, subs, floodlights, television - but if it hadn't changed at all, you'd be trying to simulate ball handling, a tree for one goal, a pub door three miles away for the other, a couple of rivers across the pitch and a heaving scrum of about 400 a side. :lol!:

Number9
Professional

Postby Number9 » 09 Mar 2013, 20:19

Bit confused now - whats the ' new idea' ?

Pleased I am going to avoid the controversy by having no bar to worry about!

Michael Mann

ralphtheclaret

Postby ralphtheclaret » 09 Mar 2013, 21:23

You need to open your mind to new ideas, mate. Soccer's been slow to cope with change - numbers on the backs, subs, floodlights, television - but if it hadn't changed at all, you'd be trying to simulate ball handling, a tree for one goal, a pub door three miles away for the other, a couple of rivers across the pitch and a heaving scrum of about 400 a side. :lol!:

Why ? I never gave my opinion on the matter old boy I merely inferred that the majority of people place the keepers rod under the back bar I don't recall giving my opinion as to whether or not that was sound practice :razz: I do open my mind to new ideas you don't see me playing with the 25mm ball for example - you know the one that was supplied in the box sets for beginners to learn the game with :lol: .. I mean to say the 22mm ball is bad enough but the big one ? - dear me no.

Focus On
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber

Postby Focus On » 10 Mar 2013, 12:56

now that's proper football...
Tatran Presov Hooligans 'C' Section!!

lionofludesch
Grand Master

Postby lionofludesch » 10 Mar 2013, 13:50

now that's proper football...
:lol!: :lol!: :lol!:

sammyboy249
Apprentice

Postby sammyboy249 » 14 Oct 2016, 16:54

I always thought that the keeper went right underneath the green bar and the handle touched the bottom green plating? Is that the wrong style? For me the method mentioned above was most comfortable for me.

Return to “Playing: Rules/Techniques/Tactics Section”