Level playing field

The place for threads about playing tactics/techniques/rules etc.
simeon
Forum Newbie

Level playing field

Post by simeon » 25 Sep 2015, 16:47

Whilst setting up for a game the other day a new player to our league dumped all his zeugo men out on the board and proceeded to set up in a 8 at the back defensive formation once satisfied he stepped back ready to play. On closer inspection it turned out he hadn't realised you got a spare player in your zeugo set and was playing an 8-2-1.... Anyway the ringer was removed and the game was played.
Things turned sour though when it was remarked that he had probably played with an extra man in his first league game which everyone including the ref hadn't spotted (no one in the league ever played lets have a brick wall at the back, so the extra man just sort of blended in) that game ended 0-0. His opponent suggested a rematch to uphold sportsmanship obviously he was none too happy to find out he'd played against 11 outfield players. but the fella with the extra man was adamant that the game had been played, the ref hadn't spotted it and the result should stand and even said "well it's not my fault everyone missed it" Because ours is a fun league and a replay would be easy to organise I put it to a vote. A unanimous decision of a replay was the result and quite funnily the rematch ended 0-0.. Most parties were happy with this but the player who made the mistake now thinks everyone is against him and has become ultra competitive.
In my opinion because a rematch could be played I think that was the fairest decision. Has anything like this happened to anybody else.

https://twitter.com/mlcsubbuteo

Gullseye
Grand Master

Re: Level playing field

Post by Gullseye » 25 Sep 2015, 18:51

As you say it is a fun league so everybody should have laughed about it and moved on. An extra man probably makes very little difference and not worth making an issue out of it.

Long Shot
Seasoned Professional

Post by Long Shot » 25 Sep 2015, 21:42

Funny story and not uncommon. Ralph on here would be interested in this thread... :wink:
" And surely now........."

ralphtheclaret
Grand Master

Post by ralphtheclaret » 26 Sep 2015, 05:25

Gullseye wrote:As you say it is a fun league so everybody should have laughed about it and moved on. An extra man probably makes very little difference and not worth making an issue out of it.
Agreed.

Donegal Subbuteo
Professional

Post by Donegal Subbuteo » 27 Sep 2015, 08:19

What l would give just to have a league. Looking forward to following your reports on twitter.
http://www.donegalsubbuteo.webs.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; http://www.Facebook.com/donegalsubbuteo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; e-mail donegalsubbuteo@hotmail.com

Long Shot
Seasoned Professional

Post by Long Shot » 27 Sep 2015, 10:55

Yip, me and Donegal have been toying with the idea of starting an OS one for a few years in Northwest Ireland. It would probs be Derry, Ive got a City Centre bar owner friend who would be interested in hosting it ( hes a local MLA at Stormont ) and he would probs spring for a few tables to add to the ones we have. Plus teams. But then you are into the following questions, do you put it in the local paper and throw it open to all comers, first 10 to sign up are in ? How much of a ball ache is it to run ?

Also if its in a bar thats part of the craic BUT I personally dont want to be tied to going to a boozer every Wed nite, even for Subby. Maybe we could do it once a month and try to get plenty of games in each time. Also, in an ideal world youd want it to be people you know, but thats unlikely. What if some bloke joins and hes a nut job ? How do you get rid of him ? Whats the drinking policy ? What happens if some eejit breaks teams if hes off his trolley ? * Questions, questions.

* Waits for the response - " Thatll be yerself then Paul "... :lol!:

lionofludesch
ISF 2018-19 Subscriber
ISF 2018-19 Subscriber

Post by lionofludesch » 27 Sep 2015, 19:30

Long Shot wrote: It would probs be Derry, Ive got a City Centre bar owner friend who would be interested in hosting it ( hes a local MLA at Stormont ) ....
I think I know it. Is it the Tiocfaidh Ar Bar ? :?

:wink:
FIFA World Cuptipping competition
Winner 2010,, joint with Takis2014 and 2018

® :angry:

Long Shot
Seasoned Professional

Post by Long Shot » 27 Sep 2015, 21:09

Not per se, different types go in. It would be either The Central ( prop. one Mr Eastwood ) the one I think you refer to, or Tinneys ( prop. one Mr Durkan ) MPS big Bro. Either one will host the League, if I get me finger out and actually try to start a league.

Donegal Subbuteo
Professional

Post by Donegal Subbuteo » 28 Sep 2015, 08:06

'' if I get me finger out and actually try to start a league''
You should jump at the chance if someone is offering a venue Paul. If we posted flyers in Sports clubs, bars and colleges in Derry, Letterkenny and Strabane, surely it would catch the attention of one or two former players. They might just need to see something like a flyer to spark their interest once again. I think the way to catch the attention of the college lads would be to create a good flyer/poster based on the Champions League and the Premiership. This might catch the eye of the non playing football mad supporters. But then not everyone would be willing to travel. So we would have to look at having a night in Letterkenny, a night in Derry and then one in Strabane if there was a good response from the flyer campaign. A 'come and try night' would be crucial as then you could judge who would be willing to commit.
http://www.donegalsubbuteo.webs.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; http://www.Facebook.com/donegalsubbuteo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; e-mail donegalsubbuteo@hotmail.com

Long Shot
Seasoned Professional

Post by Long Shot » 28 Sep 2015, 09:47

The venues are on offer mux, for sure. All very true what you say. The come and try night might be the best bet. The thing is, I think we will get a LOT of interest, so much so that we might not be able to handle the numbers. Theres at least 6 of yous in Letterkenny and Strabane. A similar amount in Derry and thats without publicity. What we really need tho is about 8 - 14 blokes who will actually commit to turning up for a league.

ralphtheclaret
Grand Master

Post by ralphtheclaret » 28 Sep 2015, 10:13

no you don't what you actually need is three or four to begin with so you get established then you can grow by word of mouth with a view to avoiding all the possible problems you've already alluded to - 8-14 who will actually turn up when required ?! yeh right good luck with that one ...

here's a revolutionary thought for you two lads ... one of you get a pitch out invite t'other one over and play some subbuteo ? ... works well over here

spudski
Grand Master

Post by spudski » 28 Sep 2015, 10:44

Ralph make some very valid points.

The OP has pinpointed a problem that seems to occur often. When you create a league or Club, sometimes you can get one person who doesn't share the same 'ethics' as the rest of the lads....and that one 'bad egg' can really have a detrimental effect on the rest....creating an 'atmosphere'....obviously enough in this case, for the OP to create a thread about it.

Playing with likeminded mates....like many do on here, seems to be the answer.

For many, a few beers, bit of banter and a relaxed atmosphere...plus turning a blind eye to the odd mistake if the game is being played in the right way, seems to be the happiest medium.

Just an observation....

Donegal Subbuteo
Professional

Post by Donegal Subbuteo » 28 Sep 2015, 11:33

The 4 meetings that I've held so far have all been about having a few beers and nothing too serious. Mind you this doesn't take the competitive edge of it! But holding the meetings in my house meant that the wife and kids had to go and stay with her mum for the night and this isn't on any more to be honest. Ideally what you would need is a venue where you could bring your own beer for the night. This would make it affordable. But this type of meeting would only be suitable for a group of lads who know each other quite well. My reasoning for the flyers would be to attract enough committed members to play once a month in a more public venue ie a local bar on a saturday afternoon or something similar. But unfortunately a lot of people are only too happy to take part as long as they don't have to organize anything beforehand or afterwards.

Long Shot
Seasoned Professional

Post by Long Shot » 28 Sep 2015, 12:35

Thanks Ralph and Spudski, good input and I totally agree with you both on yer points. Yes DS, yer last point is the main one, many are happy to turn up as long as they dont have to do anything. Not blaming them like. TBH, if this gets off the ground itll have to be you and me that drive it. Ahl speak to the publicans next week and see where we are on it. Tinneys probs best as it has a dedicated upstairs room free on a Saturday avo and Durks would like the extra trade, not that he needs it. Id say thered be no bother to get 6-8 to turn up one Sat a month for this. Sorry for the thread hijack folks.

newgolddream

Post by newgolddream » 29 Sep 2015, 13:03

Should have just let it stand imo. No big deal to have an extra man.

I currently have access to a fantastic venue 6 nights a week. 4 bucks a pop per night. Trouble is I can't be bothered organising it. Table at home is the easy and usually best option.

Return to “Playing: Rules/Techniques/Tactics Section”