Pro Table Soccer Association

The place for threads about playing tactics/techniques/rules etc.
Flash
Semi-Pro

Pro Table Soccer Association

Postby Flash » 09 Mar 2016, 10:46

Has anyone come across the Pro Table Soccer Association?

It's an interesting idea, but whether it catches on remains to be seen. I'm certainly interested in going along to a couple of the events.

I interviewed the chairman on my new website here: http://www.sporthobbyist.co.uk/subbuteo ... sociation/

There's also a few other blogs about Subbuteo on there.

lloydie1109
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber

Re: Pro Table Soccer Association

Postby lloydie1109 » 09 Mar 2016, 12:28

Yes know about it, its a FISTF spin off. Good luck to him, he is a very decent chap

ralphtheclaret
Grand Master

Postby ralphtheclaret » 09 Mar 2016, 13:49

:lol: aye cos that's what the sliders need more of ... more associations and fragmentation ... top thinking.

Focus On
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber

Postby Focus On » 09 Mar 2016, 14:30

^^^^^^^^^^^ love this man
old school or no school :awe:
Tatran Presov Hooligans 'C' Section!!

Donegal Subbuteo
Professional

Postby Donegal Subbuteo » 10 Mar 2016, 09:35

Best of luck to them. I hope it works out and exposes the game to a wider audience.
http://www.donegalsubbuteo.webs.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; http://www.Facebook.com/donegalsubbuteo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; e-mail donegalsubbuteo@hotmail.com

ralphtheclaret
Grand Master

Postby ralphtheclaret » 10 Mar 2016, 10:33

The way to maintain and grow the game is to get a younger generation involved ... with the notable exception of our sometime forum visitor from Kent nobody has done anything meaningful to do so ... This is also something to consider for those deluded types who call our game a sport .. real sports have development programmes and a youth structure ....

This latest venture is interesting as it represents another split in the modern rules camp .. after all these are people who cannot agree on qualification rules for their own events !?!?

God love 'em they'll go around in ever decreasing circles until eventually their "sport" will implode ...

algy
Forum Newbie

Postby algy » 11 Mar 2016, 18:11

The ' serious playing' game has actually become less fragmented. Back in the mid 90s there were three very distinct camps (FISTF, Table Soccer/ETF, another one which mixed Subbuteo only figures and FISTF rules), now the difference between "PTFA" and the FISTF game is... well, minor. I'd see it as more of a circuit/set of tournaments than anything. Not sure it needs to be outside the English Subbuteo Association's banner, but that's Danny's call, won't knock him for it.

What's more worrying is that there's, outside of Kent, basically no new players coming in to the game, young or old. I'm not sure the old rules are that suited to keeping the game alive outside of the nostalgia element. Again, not to say that I don't get why people want to play that way, just that it's not likely to attract many that don't already have a strong interest (maybe there's no point in aiming at others and we should consolidate, I don't know).

Personally, my mind is that Willi Hofmann and his toccer figures were the right direction. I know that's not a popular view even amongst the slidey community, and oldsubbuteo players would have kittens over it, but I see it that kids, well in to the age of FIFA/Pro Evo, who had no memory of the game as kids, LOVED them. They were/are easy to play with to a standard that makes the game feel like 'real' football, and not some obscure skill to be mastered. Sadly, not enough people realised the potential of (shock horror) Toccer-only events, and they've gone the way of the dodo.

Anyway, back to the point ... we need to keep the game alive. It's dying rapidly. Most people at events are now in their 40s (ie generally not going to introduce kids if they've not already). But the only answer is to hold more events, without any grasp of what the person is trying to achieve by holding them.

Incidentally, I'm running one in Wrexham on 21st May. It's my first one, just trying to gauge interest in the area. Everyone welcome, FISTF rules but the other end of the spectrum from your average one. Entry fee tba, but waived if you're from an OS background.

spudski
Grand Master

Postby spudski » 11 Mar 2016, 19:19

Imo, Subbuteo at it's best is played amongst friends or family members.

It's about recreating games you've watched, recreating tournaments, making leagues...using your imagination.

It's about collecting the different teams...opening the box's and not seeing 11 plastic figures...but seeing 11 players you recognise from that team or era.

It's about commentating in your head as you flick those players... and using your imagination to the best of your ability, to recreate football.

Making the 'rules' interpret football as best as possible.

I'll always remember playing against 'Foxy' when he made some defensive flicks at a corner. All three flicks touched my players...but it was cool as they were just jostling for position in the box 8) I loved it....

The game is made too serious...it's not a sport...it shouldn't be too competitive.

For me...it's about having fun, using my imagination and trying to recreate a football game...however daft that seems...imagination is the real skill to have.

mod79

Postby mod79 » 11 Mar 2016, 19:51

They're all playing FIFA (or Pro Evo, to a lesser extent).

You don't need any imagination these days.
Shame, really.

ralphtheclaret
Grand Master

Postby ralphtheclaret » 12 Mar 2016, 06:59

Algy by fragmented I was kind of referring to the constant changes of leadership and disagreements within the English Association ... How many people have tried to run it over the past five years (including Mr Lilley) and how far have they got ? ...

Anyway I'm not about to start going around this particular circle for the umpteenth time good luck with your event in Wrexham.

ralphtheclaret
Grand Master

Postby ralphtheclaret » 12 Mar 2016, 07:51

Imo, Subbuteo at it's best is played amongst friends or family members.

It's about recreating games you've watched, recreating tournaments, making leagues...using your imagination.

It's about collecting the different teams...opening the box's and not seeing 11 plastic figures...but seeing 11 players you recognise from that team or era.

It's about commentating in your head as you flick those players... and using your imagination to the best of your ability, to recreate football.

Making the 'rules' interpret football as best as possible.

I'll always remember playing against 'Foxy' when he made some defensive flicks at a corner. All three flicks touched my players...but it was cool as they were just jostling for position in the box 8) I loved it....

The game is made too serious...it's not a sport...it shouldn't be too competitive.

For me...it's about having fun, using my imagination and trying to recreate a football game...however daft that seems...imagination is the real skill to have.
All of this !

Gullseye
Grand Master

Postby Gullseye » 12 Mar 2016, 07:53

Every generation has its own interests and kids usually follow the herd and do what their mates do. Subbuteo like many other games has had its day and is unlikely to be played by millions of kids again. How many kids today play with trains or Scalextric ?

lloydie1109
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber

Postby lloydie1109 » 12 Mar 2016, 08:09

Everyone will play, where, how and with whom they wish.

There are no youngsters, in the numbers of old, due to the fact no one is doing the promotional events like SSG used to do, another reason is that the product is not in the shops. I would imagine nearly all of the youngsters playing today are sons of us Oldies.

lloydie1109
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber

Postby lloydie1109 » 12 Mar 2016, 08:13

Personally, my mind is that Willi Hofmann and his toccer figures were the right direction. I know that's not a popular view even amongst the slidey community, and oldsubbuteo players would have kittens over it, but I see it that kids, well in to the age of FIFA/Pro Evo, who had no memory of the game as kids, LOVED them. They were/are easy to play with to a standard that makes the game feel like 'real' football, and not some obscure skill to be mastered. Sadly, not enough people realised the potential of (shock horror) Toccer-only events, and they've gone the way of the dodo.
I have to be careful how I put this, but he had one motive as far as Toccer was concerned, he is Swiss, need I say more.
he never had the good of the game at heart

ralphtheclaret
Grand Master

Postby ralphtheclaret » 12 Mar 2016, 09:09

Everyone will play, where, how and with whom they wish.

There are no youngsters, in the numbers of old, due to the fact no one is doing the promotional events like SSG used to do, another reason is that the product is not in the shops. I would imagine nearly all of the youngsters playing today are sons of us Oldies.

mmm but even back in the day the numbers of players attending events were dwarfed by those who played at home in their own circle ..

Return to “Playing: Rules/Techniques/Tactics Section”