Pro Table Soccer Association

The place for threads about playing tactics/techniques/rules etc.
lloydie1109
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber

Re: Pro Table Soccer Association

Postby lloydie1109 » 12 Mar 2016, 09:14

True Ralph,
in the 60's and 70's many thousands played in Leagues, hundreds played in events, and god knows how many played at home.

Today the ratio is impossible to say.
Events of any code of Subbuteo are not as well attended as in the past.
However the number of people playing at home is huge. I can only gauge this by the number of teams sold by people
like myself to folk who just play solo or with a couple of mates/family members.
That will always be the case.

ralphtheclaret
Grand Master

Postby ralphtheclaret » 12 Mar 2016, 09:16

Personally, my mind is that Willi Hofmann and his toccer figures were the right direction. I know that's not a popular view even amongst the slidey community, and oldsubbuteo players would have kittens over it, but I see it that kids, well in to the age of FIFA/Pro Evo, who had no memory of the game as kids, LOVED them. They were/are easy to play with to a standard that makes the game feel like 'real' football, and not some obscure skill to be mastered. Sadly, not enough people realised the potential of (shock horror) Toccer-only events, and they've gone the way of the dodo.
I have to be careful how I put this, but he had one motive as far as Toccer was concerned, he is Swiss, need I say more.
he never had the good of the game at heart
I wouldn't say any of us had kittens about it or even knew anything about him .. as regards the mastering of obscure skills Algy ... how do you reconcile the fact that the game in it's original form was so much more popular during the time before the modernists chose to bypass the basics ? If the skills were so difficult to master why did so many play ?

Could it be that by removing the basics the FISTF crowd have made the game less attractive ?

The correct answer of course being ... YES . :lol:

lloydie1109
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber

Postby lloydie1109 » 12 Mar 2016, 09:29

Lets be frank,
FISTF is a different game based on Subbuteo, those who play it enjoy it.
Others play different versions of Subbuteo, but they are Subbuteo.
The 'S' in FISTF did stand for Sports not subbuteo, not sure if it still does.

The original idea/concept of FISTF was to create one game for all, until some money grabbing individuals got carte Blanch to change things
and it lost players from across the world overnight

ralphtheclaret
Grand Master

Postby ralphtheclaret » 12 Mar 2016, 09:40

Lets be frank,
FISTF is a different game based on Subbuteo, those who play it enjoy it.
Others play different versions of Subbuteo, but they are Subbuteo.
The 'S' in FISTF did stand for Sports not subbuteo, not sure if it still does.

The original idea/concept of FISTF was to create one game for all, until some money grabbing individuals got carte Blanch to change things
and it lost players from across the world overnight
This !

ralphtheclaret
Grand Master

Postby ralphtheclaret » 12 Mar 2016, 09:42

mind I just assumed they chose to change the rules and use weird figures because they aren't very good at Subbuteo ... and on reflection I was right .

lloydie1109
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber

Postby lloydie1109 » 12 Mar 2016, 09:46

mind I just assumed they chose to change the rules and use weird figures because they aren't very good at Subbuteo ... and on reflection I was right .
Most of the FISTF players were Subbuteo players prior to the rule changes and they could play Subbuteo and very well, nowadays they play a different game.

ralphtheclaret
Grand Master

Postby ralphtheclaret » 12 Mar 2016, 10:01

I'll happily take your word for it Paul .. I find it difficult to evaluate those who choose to use beginners equipment ..

Where's the smiley for stirring ?!?! :wink: :lol:

lloydie1109
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber

Postby lloydie1109 » 12 Mar 2016, 10:16

NO one stirred mate.
At the end of the day it is a case of personal choice, and 'when in Rome'

FISTF is a version of the game that some chose to play, if we collated info from everyone who plays Subbuteo, how many
variations of the rules, kit etc would there be.
If I played in Bacup, it would be small balls, yours not mine :) and so on.

Number9
Professional

Postby Number9 » 12 Mar 2016, 10:25

For myself I would rather walk away from a game having lost but made a friend, got to know someone better and/or having had a good laugh, rather than winning a game in po faced silence.

If your not talking (or at least having a footy commentary going on in your head) then your not playing IMO.
http://www.pendlefalcon.com

The Traditional Subbuteo Society

We bring our preparation to the table, and opportunity may present itself, and if you are well prepared, you can seize opportunity and then maybe something good happens, and you call that luck.

Michael Mann

lloydie1109
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber

Postby lloydie1109 » 12 Mar 2016, 10:30

For myself I would rather walk away from a game having lost but made a friend, got to know someone better and/or having had a good laugh, rather than winning a game in po faced silence.

If your not talking (or at least having a footy commentary going on in your head) then your not playing IMO.
That is all so true Steve,
but you missed the bit about the moving goalposts :D

Number9
Professional

Postby Number9 » 12 Mar 2016, 10:38

Surely not :Doh: - I have even invented some teeny tiny wheels for the bottom of the posts especially for when we next play :lol:
http://www.pendlefalcon.com

The Traditional Subbuteo Society

We bring our preparation to the table, and opportunity may present itself, and if you are well prepared, you can seize opportunity and then maybe something good happens, and you call that luck.

Michael Mann

ralphtheclaret
Grand Master

Postby ralphtheclaret » 12 Mar 2016, 10:46

I never gave much thought to the ball and goal question until five years ago when forced to use the ping pong ball (22mm) in outside events ... the basis for our thinking came from this statement

" NN goals 2 smaller goals,for use with set FF by the experienced player.(New players are advised to purchase the standard size goals) "

not gifted or even arrogant ;) but yes experienced ...

so SSG sold them for use by players other than beginners ...

It's not the goals and balls that provide a challenge here so much as the thin air .... high altitude training is a must

ralphtheclaret
Grand Master

Postby ralphtheclaret » 12 Mar 2016, 10:53

mind the ability not to flinch due to sudden collies barking /horses neighing /random farmyard noises from th'outside is also an advantage ...

As an aside I've found Shetland Sheepdogs and Rough Collies to be loyal fans of the game

lloydie1109
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber

Postby lloydie1109 » 12 Mar 2016, 11:38

Surely not :Doh: - I have even invented some teeny tiny wheels for the bottom of the posts especially for when we next play :lol:
Both goals though

spudski
Grand Master

Postby spudski » 12 Mar 2016, 15:22

FISTF and Subbuteo are so different...it's like comparing Snooker and Billiards.

Do Billiard players and associations go on Snooker forums and try to imply it's the same game? I just don't understand it.

What annoys me the most...is Subbuteo, the modern day company, associates itself with FISTF...the mind boggles.

Return to “Playing: Rules/Techniques/Tactics Section”