American Football with Subbuteo rugby gear ?

The place for threads about playing tactics/techniques/rules etc.
Brad-Man
Forum Newbie

American Football with Subbuteo rugby gear ?

Postby Brad-Man » 08 Oct 2016, 08:53

Hi, does anyone know whether someone has prepared a set of rules to play American football using the rugby posts, balls and kicker and possibly one of the old football throw in figures if they can be found ? It should be possible to create something worthwhile and I fancy a game, but don't want to design from scratch if it has already been done. Thanks in advance for any input.

Flash
Semi-Pro

Re: American Football with Subbuteo rugby gear ?

Postby Flash » 08 Oct 2016, 21:48

Interesting idea. At first I thought "no way".

But I guess you could have 4 offensive and 4 reactionary defensive flicks; and then the snap and either run or pass.

I'm sure the NFL kits would look superb in Subbuteo form too - especially if someone can do helmets.

Brad-Man
Forum Newbie

Postby Brad-Man » 09 Oct 2016, 07:40

Thanks 'Flash'. I've just ordered a spare pitch from eBay and will work out some markings. I managed to buy two throw in figures for a sensible price as well. It'll give me something to do while my wife is watching 'Strictly', 'Bake Off' and 'Apprentice'. Thanks for the pre-snap flicks idea - you could then have reactionary flicks to stop the move after the snap. I have thought of using a small football for running moves as the rugby ball can't be controlled as easily and would not reflect a ball under the control of a running back. If it turns out to be too easy to advance, I may have to review. I'll have to see which ball is best for the throwing option. Any more ideas would be welcomed.

krama
Seasoned Professional

Postby krama » 09 Oct 2016, 12:26

Dad & I had a good think and a lot of head scratching about this during the ATLANTICA baseball era...decided it was a no go and the only truly realistic way to replicate NFL in miniature was to produce a set of playing cards, shuffle them up and let them fall to the floor in a messy, random heap...that was the game!!!! (His idea, not mine!) :lol!:

Donegal Subbuteo
Professional

Postby Donegal Subbuteo » 09 Oct 2016, 19:33

Back in 1986, some of us got really hooked on American football. I think it was channel 4 who started showing it. But I marked out a pitch on the back of my astro pitch, It's still there, and tried to play some form of American football on it. I used corner kickers and homemade goals. I never thought of using the throw in figures.
http://www.donegalsubbuteo.webs.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; http://www.Facebook.com/donegalsubbuteo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; e-mail donegalsubbuteo@hotmail.com

jozza800
Apprentice

Postby jozza800 » 12 Oct 2016, 12:23

I looked at doing this a few years ago. I also wanted to do a Ice Hockey based game on perspex.

I got as far as adding some modelling green stuff to a 2K4 figure and painting him up. Realsied it was going to take forever and would be incredibly difficult to keep consistent and eventually gave up.

The rest of that thread can be found here viewtopic.php?t=11954
Follow me on Twitter @CustomFlicks

Visit my website http://www.customflicks.co.uk

Look out for my work on Ebay.

Flash
Semi-Pro

Postby Flash » 12 Oct 2016, 18:58

Thanks 'Flash'. I've just ordered a spare pitch from eBay and will work out some markings. I managed to buy two throw in figures for a sensible price as well. It'll give me something to do while my wife is watching 'Strictly', 'Bake Off' and 'Apprentice'. Thanks for the pre-snap flicks idea - you could then have reactionary flicks to stop the move after the snap. I have thought of using a small football for running moves as the rugby ball can't be controlled as easily and would not reflect a ball under the control of a running back. If it turns out to be too easy to advance, I may have to review. I'll have to see which ball is best for the throwing option. Any more ideas would be welcomed.
The rugby ball isn't great. It's been a few years since I had a game of Subbuteo rugby, but it was a little forced at times.

That being said, if it's a round ball then being able to make yards would be far too easy. Perhaps using the rugby ball might reflect the unpredictability of a running back / blockers / pass.

Donegal Subbuteo
Professional

Postby Donegal Subbuteo » 22 Dec 2016, 16:56

Here's a pic of the American football pitch that I painted on the back of my astropitch in 1986.
DSC_0051.JPG
DSC_0051.JPG (703.96 KiB) Viewed 775 times
http://www.donegalsubbuteo.webs.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; http://www.Facebook.com/donegalsubbuteo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; e-mail donegalsubbuteo@hotmail.com

Focus On
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber

Postby Focus On » 23 Dec 2016, 09:43

Cool ideas people and love the single figure!
Tatran Presov Hooligans 'C' Section!!

Puffin
Seasoned Professional

Postby Puffin » 23 Dec 2016, 14:24

Nice idea. I've painted a few American football teams in the past. It's difficult to get the helmets looking consistently the same when using modelling clay.

If you create some rules for the game, let us know and can test them out
FANTASY FLICKER - Handpainted Subbuteo
http://fantasyflicker.blogspot.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lionofludesch
Grand Master

Postby lionofludesch » 24 Dec 2016, 14:36

It's really hard to simulate a handling game in Subbuteo. Cricket works because it's more bowling than handling. Rugby (either code) just doesn't work.

I went to Manchester to play a guy at Rugby Union. Lloydie knows who I mean. In forty minutes each way, he scored a penalty and I scored a converted try off an error he made in his own in-goal. The big problem is the very strict offside in the game which leads to you rearranging all your players every ten seconds and makes it more like chess.

American Football would be the same. Very fixed formations for every down.

Like the single figure, though. Steelers ? :?
FIFA World Cuptipping competition
Winner 2010 and, joint with Takis,2014

® :angry:

lloydie1109
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber

Postby lloydie1109 » 27 Dec 2016, 08:59

It's really hard to simulate a handling game in Subbuteo. Cricket works because it's more bowling than handling. Rugby (either code) just doesn't work.

I went to Manchester to play a guy at Rugby Union. Lloydie knows who I mean. In forty minutes each way, he scored a penalty and I scored a converted try off an error he made in his own in-goal. The big problem is the very strict offside in the game which leads to you rearranging all your players every ten seconds and makes it more like chess.

American Football would be the same. Very fixed formations for every down.

Like the single figure, though. Steelers ? :?
Yes a very autocratic person.

The rugby does work, with certain rules. The five attacking flicks followed by five defensive flicks, does prevent, figures being left behind in offside positions.

Donegal Subbuteo
Professional

Postby Donegal Subbuteo » 30 Dec 2016, 09:01

Any info on the Subbuteo GAA game?

ralphtheclaret
Grand Master

Postby ralphtheclaret » 30 Dec 2016, 10:13

ralphtheclaret
Grand Master

Postby ralphtheclaret » 30 Dec 2016, 10:17

Any info on the Subbuteo GAA game?
rules on the above link

Return to “Playing: Rules/Techniques/Tactics Section”