Origin of "Three back passes" Rule

The place for threads about playing tactics/techniques/rules etc.
BlackpoolRock
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber

Origin of "Three back passes" Rule

Postby BlackpoolRock » 21 Oct 2016, 12:07

There is a rule, used in Old Subbuteo, which states, "No more than three passes towards own goal line, when in possession in own half."

I thought I had forgotten about this one, but now that I have found some Handbooks from back in my youth, I can't seem to find it there. Does anyone know the origin of this rule, which, imho, suits the traditional game very well.

ralph66

Re: Origin of "Three back passes" Rule

Postby ralph66 » 22 Oct 2016, 07:16

Doesn't ring any bells to be honest but I like to avoid some of the old rules .. too complicated for my liking and too open to argument

The rule I knew was that the defending side under the old rules was allowed three block flicks only and only inside their own half ..

If the attacker passed back whilst attacking in your half you were then allowed to start counting up to the third block again ..

And in a tournament situation that ,for me, is a nonsense .

BlackpoolRock
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber

Postby BlackpoolRock » 22 Oct 2016, 08:25

Thank you, Ralph.

It appears that the Old Subbuteo folk have introduced the rule to prevent players from passing the ball around within their own half when the opponent has no method of interception.

I agree that the old rules were open to interpretation, shall we say, but, of course, that's the way it was back then. One aspect I do like, though, is the specified 'slots' for defensive flicks, which gives the defenders more of a chance to be part of the game, especially if the opposition's attack is having a good day.

ralph66

Postby ralph66 » 22 Oct 2016, 09:21

Which oldsubbuteo folk ?

BlackpoolRock
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber

Postby BlackpoolRock » 22 Oct 2016, 10:02

The folk who wrote the "Rules for Old Subbuteo" which I assume, perhaps incorrectly, are the rules that are used in used Old Subbuteo Tournaments, or Flats Tournaments, like the one in Stoke last March.

ralph66

Postby ralph66 » 22 Oct 2016, 10:45

Flats Tournaments ? TSPA rules - no such rule that I'm aware of

Stoke ? not sure what they played but it's not in the advanced rules (link on here) so you've lost me on this one

Have you got a link for it ?

ralph66

Postby ralph66 » 22 Oct 2016, 11:06

http://subbuteoplanet.com/?page_id=712

These ? someone has lifted these word for word from Steve's website .. they are Steve's own rules and are different to tournament rules.

Not many people would for example play a rule whereby you wait for your opponent to block - certainly not in an OS Tournament.

BlackpoolRock
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber

Postby BlackpoolRock » 22 Oct 2016, 12:26

Thank you. If they're Steve's rules they'll certainly suit me, no matter how much of a minority I'm in.

I did obtain them from the link you provided, and, incorrectly as it's turned out, because of their title, thought they were the official rules for Old Subbuteo tournaments.

In an odd sort of way, though, it completes a full circle, as the reason I started this topic was because I couldn't spot the 'three back passes in own half' rule in Steve's Traditional Subbuteo Rules.

I think that's finally got the issue sorted, many thanks for your help.

ralph66

Postby ralph66 » 22 Oct 2016, 17:29

I must say It makes sense with restricted blocks if your opponent has used all three I suppose you could keep the ball to your heart's content by pack passing ? .. you have to be very confident in yourself to back pass regularly as a time wasting ploy if your opponent has unlimited block flicks as per the "normal" advanced rules ? easy to get penned in.

BlackpoolRock
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber

Postby BlackpoolRock » 22 Oct 2016, 19:15

I'm not suggesting I would ever try it, not good enough, for a start. It was just a possibility for the experts, if they were so inclined.

I don't want to start a different topic, but well done to Burnley today. Disappointed for the Toffees, obviously, but we must wish all the best to the clubs who respect the first word of EPL.

ralph66

Postby ralph66 » 22 Oct 2016, 20:58

Good players use unlimited blocks because let me tell you if you try playing against somebody with ability without them you will simply get battered ...

Good win for us today no cutting edge from a good side who I thought got caught being a tad arrogant but I'd have to say ,manager apart who I cannot stand, Everton are a fine club so we are suitably happy. :guiness:

Return to “Playing: Rules/Techniques/Tactics Section”