"Old Subbuteo"

The place for threads about playing tactics/techniques/rules etc.
ralphtheclaret
Grand Master

Re: "Old Subbuteo"

Postby ralphtheclaret » 23 Jan 2017, 12:11

"(very strong embargo for larger replica bases, the so-called "dux")."

This is what you wrote Bengi - I think you are confusing the issue with all due respect ...

lloydie1109
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber

Postby lloydie1109 » 23 Jan 2017, 12:21

I have asked a good friend who is oon the Italian OS heirarchy to clarify this, he is going to reply in full later, I will relay his answer here

ralphtheclaret
Grand Master

Postby ralphtheclaret » 23 Jan 2017, 12:34

Finland might suit me best :wink:

"In fact they have been used since the 70's, and have evolved in small steps since then. They are a product of internetless time, preipheral country and a translation of the rules that left a lot to interpretation.

In reality, I think the finnish rules are in many ways close to old subbuteo rules.

The main things are that polish is not allowed, pro bases (or other FISTF game bases) are not allowed, smallest original subbuteo ball, wait for every defensive flick, play to a moving ball only allowed in shooting area when shooting for goal, and a team can have even 10 different type of figures in the fiels at the same time (for example Walker, Scarecrow, LW, lw with hw base, hw with lw base etc.). In the best quality leagues we also use the crouching keeper as the free standing keeper.

I've been thinking a long time that we should make a video of it to show people outside Finland what it's about. Just haven't done it for some reason".

:lol:

lloydie1109
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber

Postby lloydie1109 » 23 Jan 2017, 13:22

here is what has been passed to me by the OS Italian chap, his words unedited, this should help clarify things a bit, seems there has been a breakaway.

during 2016 some people unhappy with Old Subbuteo "government" (the truth is that they were unhappy because they were out of this "government", and kept out purposely because of their vision of Old Subbuteo), left and fell in love with the table soccer federation, that created a new division beside the usual table soccer competitions.
I could imagine that what happened could create some confusion, outside Italy. And I'm not saying that Old Subbuteo did everything right, anyway, Old Subbuteo is very far from the federation, because O.S. would like to keep the game played as... a game, and not as a sport. Not an easy task, and because of this task in the 2016, that was the 10th year of Old Subbuteo, dux bases were ruled out from official meetings, and basically their use is still not encouraged.

ralphtheclaret
Grand Master

Postby ralphtheclaret » 23 Jan 2017, 13:25

Ridiculous - yet another example of the pathetic empire building that has tarnished the game for decades :roll:

I take it Stoke is played to advanced rules as opposed to OS ?

lloydie1109
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber

Postby lloydie1109 » 23 Jan 2017, 13:30

yes, just basic subbuteo rules as advertised

ralphtheclaret
Grand Master

Postby ralphtheclaret » 23 Jan 2017, 13:32

Good :guiness:

spudski
Grand Master

Postby spudski » 23 Jan 2017, 15:40

It's not the 'Oldsubbuteo' rules or guys running it that are the problem...but the one's wanting to be Chiefs rather than Indians.

Too many 'Cooks' and all....

The reason 'Dux' bases were liked by some, was because they were slightly lower and had a slightly wider base. So why would you want that, if you like playing Subbuteo the traditional way...with curling etc?

I have no problem with Polish being used either. Early Subbuteo bases were highly polished from manufacture...and slid very well and predictably. Later bases and modern replicas aren't made of the same material, and don't glide so well. A quick polish before a game, not at half time...can't see the problem with it tbh. As long as they play like original Subbuteo bases.
Image There is only one life....yours...LIVE IT

bengi
Forum Newbie

Postby bengi » 23 Jan 2017, 21:53

With all due respect you have made a couple of errors there Bengi
no competitions in OS ? .....Dux bases subject to embargo ?
actually Dux bases are highly sought after
I wrote "dux replicas"
No competitions.. well on the paper, but this opens a new debate that I would like to avoid...
Do you mean the top spin dynamo dux bases Bengi
Well, the dux thing is a weird one. We all know the story (real or exaggerated) of the original dux. But the question of acceptability of the replicas is a new story. At the beginning of the Subbuteo nostalgia, when the producers managed to make replicas of the dux, the oldsubbuteo people were not prepared and so they included in the list of bases the top spin and the replay dux variations, along with, I guess, the ACM. More recently, in an attempt to limit the drift towards competitiveness, the oldsubbuteo people banned some more recent production and in 2016, to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the community, they organise tournaments only with original material.
And generally speaking the dux replicas are just tolerated.

ralphtheclaret
Grand Master

Postby ralphtheclaret » 24 Jan 2017, 07:15

never bothered me either way ..

lloydie1109
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber

Postby lloydie1109 » 24 Jan 2017, 07:51

I wrote "dux replicas"
No competitions.. well on the paper, but this opens a new debate that I would like to avoid...
Do you mean the top spin dynamo dux bases Bengi
Well, the dux thing is a weird one. We all know the story (real or exaggerated) of the original dux. But the question of acceptability of the replicas is a new story. At the beginning of the Subbuteo nostalgia, when the producers managed to make replicas of the dux, the oldsubbuteo people were not prepared and so they included in the list of bases the top spin and the replay dux variations, along with, I guess, the ACM. More recently, in an attempt to limit the drift towards competitiveness, the oldsubbuteo people banned some more recent production and in 2016, to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the community, they organise tournaments only with original material.
And generally speaking the dux replicas are just tolerated.
I think it is just a case of personal choice Bengi, some allow some do not, it is up to each person and event organiser to decide

ralphtheclaret
Grand Master

Postby ralphtheclaret » 24 Jan 2017, 09:15

It does say in the OS rules or at least it used to that equipment rules are up to the individual organiser ?

Not that it matters really,with all due respect to our friends in Italy ,in England we have the advanced rules. :wink:

lloydie1109
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber

Postby lloydie1109 » 24 Jan 2017, 10:09

Basically Ralph, according to some Italian friends of mine, at events some people want all the entrants to use the same type of team, and other do not. Instead of leaving up to the various event hosts, some factions have thrown their toys out of the pram, shame, as there is virtually no such game/sport or whatever words are suitable, that have the same equipment

ralphtheclaret
Grand Master

Postby ralphtheclaret » 24 Jan 2017, 10:58

yes empire builders and little dictators mate

bengi
Forum Newbie

Postby bengi » 24 Jan 2017, 14:48

The list of materials is here, last two pages. In red ko, in green ok.

http://oldsubbuteo.forumfree.it/?act=At ... =579905944

Return to “Playing: Rules/Techniques/Tactics Section”