No blocking flicks

The place for threads about playing tactics/techniques/rules etc.
rfairbro
Forum Newbie

No blocking flicks

Postby rfairbro » 22 Nov 2017, 08:54

Hi, I have set up both a modern Table Football league and I am in the process of setting up up an Old Subbuteo League in order to accommodate that rule version, too. One of the players wants to stick to playing with no blocking flicks during the course of open play, I am not comfortable with this idea but willing to listen to other opinions.

Another suggestion is to only play a blocking flick on the 3rd flick of the opposing players' play - I am not too comfortable with this idea either.

Comments please?

Bob

spudski
Grand Master

Re: No blocking flicks

Postby spudski » 22 Nov 2017, 10:14

Surely you play to the rules of the chosen game...be it table soccer or Subbuteo rules?

What's the point of having rules, and then taking out parts that don't suit individuals? It makes no sense...

Donegal Subbuteo
Professional

Postby Donegal Subbuteo » 22 Nov 2017, 11:38

Blocking flicks are part and parcel of the game. But I think the fact that you can flick a blocking figure as many times as you like is not right. This should also be limited to 3 flicks. What do others think about that one?
http://www.donegalsubbuteo.webs.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; http://www.Facebook.com/donegalsubbuteo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; e-mail donegalsubbuteo@hotmail.com

ralphtheclaret
Grand Master

Postby ralphtheclaret » 22 Nov 2017, 12:13

play to the rules ...........

why does he not want to use blocking flicks I wonder .. put it to him gently that if he doesn't use them and he is playing half decent players he will get clattered a lot ?

spudski
Grand Master

Postby spudski » 22 Nov 2017, 16:15

Blocking flicks are part and parcel of the game. But I think the fact that you can flick a blocking figure as many times as you like is not right. This should also be limited to 3 flicks. What do others think about that one?
Depends on who you are trying to replicate...sounds a bit like Lee Tomlin in our midfield last season...tracking back an opposition player in midfield and gave up after 3 yards, and then let someone else take over. :lol!:

ralphtheclaret
Grand Master

Postby ralphtheclaret » 22 Nov 2017, 18:59

I'll say this about non blocking and it is absolutely true ... not saying this to sound like a clever dick but last time I played someone who wouldn't allow blocking I beat him 8-2 ... he asked to play again straight away ... I won 7-1 :wink: ... that was playing Subbuteo with the cellys and I didn't really feel too good about it

BlackpoolRock
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber

Postby BlackpoolRock » 22 Nov 2017, 19:33

Unless you are novices and learning the game, I can't see the point of playing without blocking flicks, because good players will score so many goals the results will be unrealistic.

At the end of the day, of course, if it's your league, the final decision is yours.

In response to Donegal's point: in the Advanced Rules, defensive flicks were only allocated in blocks of three, (subject to no passing back), so the situation would be less likely to occur. Regarding the more modern versions, I think you have a valid point. Perhaps you could suggest and trial a house rule, at least, and see how it affects the play.

spudski
Grand Master

Postby spudski » 22 Nov 2017, 19:33

I'll say this about non blocking and it is absolutely true ... not saying this to sound like a clever dick but last time I played someone who wouldn't allow blocking I beat him 8-2 ... he asked to play again straight away ... I won 7-1 :wink: ... that was playing Subbuteo with the cellys and I didn't really feel too good about it
Tbh Ralph, I don't know how anyone could lose possession without someone trying to block your moves. Surely you would score 99% of the time when in possession?

Knowing someone isn't going to block, you just use short passing with 3 players working up the pitch....

ralphtheclaret
Grand Master

Postby ralphtheclaret » 23 Nov 2017, 11:08

exactly Ian

ralphtheclaret
Grand Master

Postby ralphtheclaret » 23 Nov 2017, 11:10

In response to Donegal's point: in the Advanced Rules, defensive flicks were only allocated in blocks of three, (subject to no passing back), so the situation would be less likely to occur. Regarding the more modern versions, I think you have a valid point. Perhaps you could suggest and trial a house rule, at least, and see how it affects the play.
at one time .. and again if you are playing a good player three blocking flicks are a waste of time .. plus you've to keep counting them and consider whether the attacker has passed back ?

lionofludesch
Grand Master

Postby lionofludesch » 23 Nov 2017, 13:52

The trouble with not having blocking flicks is it means only one of you is playing at any one time - shots at goal apart.

It's not snooker.

Or worse - billiards. I was reading an account of the break a bloke racked up in the 1930s - before they changed the rules - when you could jam a couple of balls in the pocket jaw and rack up three points for a cannon with little taps of your cue ball. Just short of a quarter of a million points, he scored, over nearly a week. Nearly killed the game of billiards off.

Can't see the point in limiting a defending figure to three successive blocks, to be honest.
FIFA World Cuptipping competition
Winner 2010 and, joint with Takis,2014

® :angry:

Gullseye
Grand Master

Postby Gullseye » 23 Nov 2017, 18:27

When we first stated playing at school nobody used blocking flicks. Its not a bad idea for the absolute novice who has never played, just for their initial few games until they get used to flicking.

I've just introduced somebody to the game and it does take a while to master flicking properly, having blocking as well makes it too difficult for them to put moves together. At the moment I'm not blocking and have just let him block when I'm shooting.

lionofludesch
Grand Master

Postby lionofludesch » 23 Nov 2017, 18:50

When we first stated playing at school nobody used blocking flicks. Its not a bad idea for the absolute novice who has never played, just for their initial few games until they get used to flicking.

I've just introduced somebody to the game and it does take a while to master flicking properly, having blocking as well makes it too difficult for them to put moves together. At the moment I'm not blocking and have just let him block when I'm shooting.
Yeah - but that's what I would call a "conditioned game".

It's something you'd do in training - comparable to soccer drills where you maybe have three attackers against two defenders. The object is not to produce a worthy winner, rather to develop the player.
FIFA World Cuptipping competition
Winner 2010 and, joint with Takis,2014

® :angry:

spudski
Grand Master

Postby spudski » 23 Nov 2017, 21:59

Evening Gully...I too had experience recently of guiding a newbie through the game, but we slowed it down and explained and suggested moves as we went along. Showing how to block really helped.

Subbuteo is meant to replicate football as much as possible. Stopping blocking flicks, would be like asking a team to stop defending and tracking back.

Interestingly when playing, saying the words...'think like you were playing a football match' actually worked. It became more natural. Instead of thinking of it as a game, the already nurtured head of following football and it's moves, helped in making natural moves on the Subbuteo pitch, be it, offensively or defensively.

The one defence blocking flick that didn't come naturally was putting a blocking flick between figure and ball. Which I described as using your body to obstruct a move legally. It worked.

It really is surprising how naturally the game comes to life, when you do actually try to play it like a football match. Which it was intended.

Gullseye
Grand Master

Postby Gullseye » 24 Nov 2017, 08:33

I can't disagree with any of the above comments and ideally it would be best to play to the strict rules from the start. But Subbuteo is a game and its very easy to turn somebody off at an early stage.

Return to “Playing: Rules/Techniques/Tactics Section”