A very old rule.

The place for threads about playing tactics/techniques/rules etc.
BlackpoolRock
ISF 2018-19 Subscriber
ISF 2018-19 Subscriber

A very old rule.

Post by BlackpoolRock » 23 Jul 2018, 13:59

Can any historians or guardians of the rules assist with this one, from the very early days of the game.

As I'm enjoying playing with the flats, I'm considering playing a 'season' to the original rules of the game, from the 1950 Advanced Table Soccer booklet, which is the earliest I have.

Under the heading "Position of defence whilst opposing attacking line is in motion", it states, "When the ball is in the defending side's half, and is in the possession of the attacking side, two defending figures may be flicked into any position required . . . . "

Obviously this was an early introduction, possibly the first, of blocking flicks, but my question is when, and how often, they can be taken? As soon as the ball stops in their half? Can they wait and ask for them when they think they are most needed? or may they have two flicks after every play of the ball by the attack? I would think most would suggest the first of those options.

I know that many of these early rules were open to gentlemanly interpretation, but I just wonder whether anyone remembers playing such an early form of the game, possibly with a grandparent.

krama
Seasoned Professional

Re: A very old rule.

Post by krama » 26 Jul 2018, 12:03

I don't know the definitive answer to your question sadly, but I agree with you...just the two flicks as soon as the ball enters the defender half and that's it...until the ball goes back into attackers half and back in again.

BlackpoolRock
ISF 2018-19 Subscriber
ISF 2018-19 Subscriber

Re: A very old rule.

Post by BlackpoolRock » 26 Jul 2018, 15:38

Thank you. That seemed to be the most likely interpretation of the early rule, pre the quotas of three defensive flicks.

Return to “Playing: Rules/Techniques/Tactics Section”