Defensive Flicks

The place for threads about playing tactics/techniques/rules etc.

Defensive Flicks

Post by Guest » 24 Jan 2005, 18:42

Okay yet another rule question that arose when the kids were playing today in school.

Attacker goes for the ball but misses. However, defender makes his defensive flick while the attacker's player is still moving and didn't know the attacker was going to miss. This posses two questions:

1. Are you still allowed that defensive flick even if the attacker misses the ball and posession switches?

2. Do you have to wait until the players and ball are stationary before making your defensive flick?

Also the kids were asking today if it was okay to flick on to a moving ball. e.g. attacker crosses the ball and then flicks another player on to it whilst it is still moving? I think some of them are aspiring Pele's of the Subutteo world! :lol:

Up to a league of 24 now. First competitive games start next Monday.

Cheers, Dave.

broon

Post by broon » 24 Jan 2005, 23:34

Going by the letter of the law then a defensive block should only be taken after the attacking figure has played the ball. Otherwise another change of posession would occur, So the player originally attacking would be back in posession.

As for hitting a moving ball. Go for it.

Great to hear you've had such interest in your league. We'll hopefully see you tomorrow for a few games.

Terry

Post by Guest » 25 Jan 2005, 05:10

This is a common misconception with Subbuteo, don't worry about it. The FISTF rule is simple. A defensive flick may only be taken once the attacker has hit the ball. The defender's right to a block expires at the time the attacker hits the ball again.

A flick before the attacker misses the ball should be judged as follows:

Is it still pending from the last attacking flick? Scenario: Attacker plays ball. Attacker flicked towards ball. Defender flicks. This is fine, as the attacker has not yet hit the ball and there is still a block owing.

Is it too soon? Scenario: Attacker plays ball. Defender blocks. Attacker flicked towards ball. Defender flicks. This is an illegal flick. Free kick.

Old school Subbuteo rules allowed the flick as soon as the attacker was flicked. The change of this rule helped the modern glide game as we know it. A skillful blocker would be able to put a block in on a long flick attempt before the ball was hit. This is no longer allowed under FISTF rules.

The defender does NOT have to wait for the ball to stop to make his block. In fact, a skillful defender will anticipate the path of the ball, put a block in place and steal the ball. The important factor is that the defender is motionless when the ball hits him. If the defender is still moving, it is a moving ball violation which results in a free kick.

As for hitting a rolling ball while in possession, yes it is allowed and positively encouraged! Passing and shooting a rolling ball are great skills to learn. There are some rules governing this aspect of the game:
1) Any foul play while a ball is rolling is a free kick, not a back
2) A player that drifts offside while the ball is still rolling is not offside (passive offside, see the ASA site for a video example of this one)
3) Strike a rolling ball directly from a free kick or corner kick and there is no offside
4) You cannot hit a rolling ball at a throw-in as you must wait for the defensive block - therefore offside is as valid at a throw-in as it is in open play
5) You must wait for the ball to stop before withdrawing a spare/roaming goalie

That's all the rolling ball stuff I can think of at the moment. It's a great part of the game once you know all the rules.

Post by Guest » 25 Jan 2005, 09:57

Laketon Lions wrote:This is a common misconception with Subbuteo, don't worry about it. The FISTF rule is simple. A defensive flick may only be taken once the attacker has hit the ball. The defender's right to a block expires at the time the attacker hits the ball again.
I always thought you lost the block as soon as the next flick is taken. Does this mean you can leave your block until your opponent takes his next flick, and then use it to block him as he's taking a long flick to touch up to the ball?

Post by Guest » 25 Jan 2005, 09:59

Laketon Lions wrote:4) You cannot hit a rolling ball at a throw-in as you must wait for the defensive block - therefore offside is as valid at a throw-in as it is in open play
Except that a player can't be offside directly from a throwin.

Post by Guest » 25 Jan 2005, 14:37

Throw-in: Of course if a defender takes the block during the time the ball is rolling, the attacker can still play the rolling ball and stay legal. If the defender allows the ball to stop to play his "block to come", he will force the attacker offside. The "directly from a dead ball" rule applies to a ROLLING ball only.

Block flick: Yes, Eoin, you can wait. The right to a block expires when the attacker next touches the ball. So you can wait to make your block until you see where the attacker is flicking next.

Post by Guest » 25 Jan 2005, 21:33

i think the rules are being over analyzed.

if you want, i'll give my opinions next time i see you and have a board,or coins to demonstrate. :lol:

Dave, hope you made it along to the club tonight, you'll pick up the rules really quick and the you'll pass them on to the kids, just give it a few weeks.

hope to see you at the regional torny next week.

cheers,
Robert r

Post by Guest » 25 Jan 2005, 22:47

Made it along tonight thanks and starting to become clearer on rules. Will try and pop along next Sunday also. Might even enter if I can face the thrashings I'll no doubt receive! :lol:

Return to “Playing: Rules/Techniques/Tactics Section”