Only 3 blocking flicks

The place for threads about playing tactics/techniques/rules etc.
thefingerismakingmeflick

Only 3 blocking flicks

Post by thefingerismakingmeflick » 07 Oct 2006, 16:56

I'm sure I remember playing a limit on a total of 3 defensive flicks, and once they were used up that was it - unless the attacker played backwards and the defender got 3 more back.

Was this ever a rule at one time?

tfimmf

Neil
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Neil » 07 Oct 2006, 17:50

I'm certain there was a limit of three defensive flicks in some early versions of the Advanced Rules, but this limit was quickly removed.

Neil

Stan

Post by Stan » 07 Oct 2006, 19:44

I have several copies of the Advanced rules and it is certain that this rule was in place from 1955. In the 1951 and 1952 versions two defensive flicks were allowed when the ball first passed into the defenders half (or that is how I interpret it!).

Stan

thefingerismakingmeflick

Post by thefingerismakingmeflick » 07 Oct 2006, 19:50

Yes that was it - only when the player enters the attacking half. Did they remove this rule just because it was too easy to score - never was for us with our HWs! :?

Neil
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Neil » 08 Oct 2006, 17:38

The 1950s, as described by Stan, was a bit before my time, but when we started playing the rules we had referred to three defensive flicks. Then someone produced an updated copy of the rules which removed the limit.

It must be said the motivation was to curb a player amongst our circle at the time who dominated possession with an enormous number of very small passes until the defender had used up their flicks, but removing the limit did make a lot of sense and resulted in better games.

Neil

thefingerismakingmeflick

Post by thefingerismakingmeflick » 08 Oct 2006, 17:53

I think that's why we played it so the attacking player had to keep moving forwards, and any backward play at any time meant the defender got their full allocation of 3 flicks back.

...still prefer this way overall, as it means a game can be more of a relaxing pastime and less of the manic 'skin, hair and plastic flying in all directions' type of games! :O

Also, any games are played in our stadium pitch which gets a severe mullering if players swoop all over the table with reckless abandon!!

tfimmf

Return to “Playing: Rules/Techniques/Tactics Section”