best way to repair broken player?

The place for threads about restoration of equipment.
lewisdl
ISF Subscriber 2019-2020
ISF Subscriber 2019-2020

best way to repair broken player?

Post by lewisdl » 10 Jun 2012, 14:30

Sadly today I managed to break one of the 6 original players that I have left from my original playing teams I bought back in the 60s. Usualy keep them in a small plastic container which I managed to knock of a shelf onto a carpeted floor. some how one of the players managed to get broken after nearly 50 years!

Not too woried about restoring it cause they are never played but thought I might give it a go so whats the best way to go about it. Seem to remember using stuff like UHU glue back in the 60s but it was pretty useless.

any suggestions? one foot is detached below the boot and the other above the ankle.
A discussion is an exchange of knowledge, an argument is an exchange of ignorance.

Foghorn Leghorn

Re: best way to repair broken player?

Post by Foghorn Leghorn » 10 Jun 2012, 15:06

Dont use UHU. It has to be Polycement like Humbrol / Revell / Airfix. Also be sure to buy the one with the very long metal nozzle for accuracy. It should take merely an ants head size drop on ONE side of the break to join. That avoids overspill. I cant overstate, use minimum glue. A quarter of a mm.

Ender

Post by Ender » 12 Jun 2012, 17:39

does this work for goalies as well or are they always likely to be too weak at the break?

lionofludesch
ISF Subscriber 2019-2020
ISF Subscriber 2019-2020

Post by lionofludesch » 12 Jun 2012, 17:57

Once they're broken they're never going to be strong enough to use in a game, pal.

If you glue them, they're purely there for aesthetic purposes.
FIFA World Cuptipping competition
Winner 2010,, joint with Takis2014 and 2018

® :angry:

Ender

Post by Ender » 12 Jun 2012, 20:44

Cheers, that's what i suspected.

zulublue
Seasoned Professional

Post by zulublue » 27 Jun 2012, 13:05

Lionos right chap never the same again mate.Ute :black:
KRO/SOTV

wearebees
Professional

Post by wearebees » 27 Jun 2012, 21:02

I use the Liquid Poly stuff that comes in a bottle with a brush inside. Brush a tiny amount on both surfaces, leave for a minute to let the plastic soften then join it together.

Gullseye
Grand Master

Post by Gullseye » 27 Jun 2012, 21:43

Depends very much on the break as to whether they are strong enough to play with again. I have glued players with super glue and they are still being used in games without ever breaking again. The ones which split at an angle seem to have a stronger repair.

ralphtheclaret

Post by ralphtheclaret » 28 Jun 2012, 20:22

Gullseye wrote:Depends very much on the break as to whether they are strong enough to play with again. I have glued players with super glue and they are still being used in games without ever breaking again. The ones which split at an angle seem to have a stronger repair.
agreed I've not broken many but superglue works wonders..

zulublue
Seasoned Professional

Post by zulublue » 23 Oct 2012, 10:43

Super glue works wonders agreed however I find as above it depends very much on the kinda break you get. The worst is a clean sheer break at the feet they only last a few games then once they hit the sidings on the pitch they are a gonna. Angled breaks are easier and stronger fixes.
Ute :black:
KRO/SOTV

Return to “Restoration”