Baize Pitch Experiment

The place for threads about restoration of equipment.
Number9
Professional

Baize Pitch Experiment

Postby Number9 » 28 May 2017, 18:04

I wanted to make my baize pitch resistant to creasing - did a bit of research and there is a chemical which is used to treat fabrics to make them crease resistant. Bit more research and it is a component of Johnsons multi surface floor wax....SO......

Washed pitch in cool water

When it had dried to a 'damp' condition I sprayed it with a 1part dilution of floor wax in 10 parts water (sprayed onto the playing side), left it to dry out completely.

It is a stiffer pitch, fewer creases, when mounted on top of old astropitch (so it has worked - yay!). BUT it also has made a noticeable increase in straight line accuracy and distance with no decrease in curling ability (using flats here).

I think I will call the process 'Falconisation' - would love it if someone, somewhere was obsessed enough to confirm that this is true!
http://www.pendlefalcon.com

The Traditional Subbuteo Society

We bring our preparation to the table, and opportunity may present itself, and if you are well prepared, you can seize opportunity and then maybe something good happens, and you call that luck.

Michael Mann

spudski
Grand Master

Re: Baize Pitch Experiment

Postby spudski » 30 May 2017, 10:08

I think you've basically done what people do when they polish their bases, except this time you've polished the pitch lol ;-)

Number9
Professional

Postby Number9 » 30 May 2017, 11:05

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

We bring our preparation to the table, and opportunity may present itself, and if you are well prepared, you can seize opportunity and then maybe something good happens, and you call that luck.

Michael Mann

claretpete0128
Apprentice

Postby claretpete0128 » 30 May 2017, 17:52

sounds a bit dodgy to me Steve specially prepared pitch eh ? mmm :lol!:

Ralph

Number9
Professional

Postby Number9 » 30 May 2017, 18:56

LOL! I promise you it was the incidental result of an otherwise perfectly innocent experiment m'lud :D

TBH It makes playing a bit more difficult, especially with a 16mm ball - light touch is absolutely vital with it, as it doesn't hold the ball up like a plastic pitch, all well worth it for the hours of messing about though! And on the plus side I am getting good at taking throw ins :lol:

How's the old arm btw???

Michael Mann

claretpete0128
Apprentice

Postby claretpete0128 » 30 May 2017, 21:22

Not too bad ... I'll message you next week ? ...

claretpete0128
Apprentice

Postby claretpete0128 » 31 May 2017, 08:18

Mind I'm in pre-Stoke training 22mm and OOs ...

Number9
Professional

Postby Number9 » 31 May 2017, 11:04

Am away for a couple of weeks in part of former USSR playing with Gas Pipelines - but still contactable.

Training eh - I assume not with tracksuited players!! :lol:

Michael Mann

claretpete0128
Apprentice

Postby claretpete0128 » 31 May 2017, 21:11

.... Erm no :lol: .... just going through a few set plays !

Number9
Professional

Postby Number9 » 01 Jun 2017, 10:48

I should post a warning regarding the curly free kick! ;-)

Strangely enough I have been looking at some international line ups and in some cases the tracksuited teams are nicer than the kit underneath, so I might put together a tracksuited flat figure - but of course it will be playable!

Michael Mann

Return to “Restoration”