Stoke Tournie and Fair 25th June

The place for announcments about clubs/tournaments/meetings/finding new players etc.
footiebadgebloke
Semi-Pro

Re: Stoke Tournie and Fair 25th June

Postby footiebadgebloke » 30 Jun 2017, 19:53

Ralph.......... if you don't speak up whilst proceedings are going on, no ones any the wiser.
Here's the results ..........
stoke17.png
stoke17.png (81.06 KiB) Viewed 497 times

ralphbfc
Forum Newbie

Postby ralphbfc » 30 Jun 2017, 20:30

nothing to speak up about mate you advertised it as advanced rules rather than OS ... there is a difference in terms of rules and in some cases ethos that's all :wink:

skell
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber

Postby skell » 02 Jul 2017, 20:30

So glad I don't play :?

ralphbfc
Forum Newbie

Postby ralphbfc » 03 Jul 2017, 09:38

It was a good tournament .. I just think that certain things sometimes create an edge when there wouldn't otherwise be one.

It's difficult .. I don't think many of the lads who have regularly played in OS events in the past have the kind of mindset where you'd want to make an issue of something during the event .. if you raise it afterwards it sounds like sour grapes so you end up keeping quiet ?

Alex is 16 and a polite lad but I know it upset him a bit and he didn't tell me until we were somewhere north of Ringway so what can you do ?

In future I'll stick to OS because the rules are more thoroughly written but as I said before these thoughts are there for discussion and are IN NO WAY a criticism of Andy's event which I enjoyed playing in

spudski
Grand Master

Postby spudski » 06 Jul 2017, 10:35

Not that it matters...but I drew 1-1 with Mike B in the group stages...not sure how it got recorded that I lost 1-0. :Doh: :lol: I took the lead with a cracker down the left with my LB...commentating all the way. Who wouldn't when Maldini was that far up the pitch lol I then proceeded to get battered, but saved every shot, much to Mike's frustration...he eventually equalised. Was a fun game though :grin:

Richard was a deserved winner...what a nice lad. Played the game in the right spirit and with great skill.

duncthehat
Seasoned Professional

Postby duncthehat » 06 Jul 2017, 10:47

So glad I don't play :?
ditto lol

spudski
Grand Master

Postby spudski » 06 Jul 2017, 12:01

That's the problem with 'Subbuteo' tournaments...too many different rules in the game. It all gets muddled up.

Plus it also depends on how badly people want to win, or whether they just want a bit of fun and banter.

I can totally understand why likeminded friends just play for fun around someone's house, rather than having to go to a 'Tournament' to get their fix.

ralphbfc
Forum Newbie

Postby ralphbfc » 06 Jul 2017, 19:50

True ... I've decided to stick with OS in future mainly because, as you know Ian, it creates a certain type of atmosphere amongst enthusiasts who by and large share a similar view of the game...

If other folk want to play as a club in county or team events that's up to them but it doesn't fall within the remit of OS as described by the oldsubbuteo council ?

ralphbfc
Forum Newbie

Postby ralphbfc » 06 Jul 2017, 20:18

Up pops the "club" shirt and the eight man defence and you just know the next twenty minutes is going to be twenty minutes you'll never get back !

spudski
Grand Master

Postby spudski » 06 Jul 2017, 20:47

True ... I've decided to stick with OS in future mainly because, as you know Ian, it creates a certain type of atmosphere amongst enthusiasts who by and large share a similar view of the game...

If other folk want to play as a club in county or team events that's up to them but it doesn't fall within the remit of OS as described by the oldsubbuteo council ?
I think you are right Ralph.

For me, there are two things that stand out.

1. Some people like to play 'Subbuteo' in a way that is reminiscent of being very good at flicking bits of plastic.

2. The other type of player, see's Subbuteo as it, imo, was intended...as a replica of Association Football. Which may seem daft to many...but when I pick up a team of Subbuteo players, I see them as a miniature football team. At this event...I was playing with Italy. In my mind, they were Italy of the 1970 World Cup finals...even though Maldini wasn't there lol

My imagination takes over...I'm actually playing football. I return to being how I was as a kid. I know that sounds daft...but there are many like that, and the majority play OS.

Imo, Peter Adolph invented the game with figures and rules, that tried to the best of it's limited ability to recreate football on a table. A lot of imagination is needed.

I saw someone produce some 'Sports Toccer figures' and bases at Stoke...who proceeded to show some young lad how stable they were and how you could score a goal accurately from inside your own 18 yard box...basically the whole length of the table.

My heart sank...they don't even resemble a football figure...and there was no intention or imagination to play the game like it was football.

Might as well have been playing shove h'penny. :Doh:

Each to their own...but when those two worlds collide it becomes a problem.

For me Subbuteo is Football on a table...hence all the teams and kits and accessories to make it feel and look like real football...even though a great deal of imagination is needed.

ralphbfc
Forum Newbie

Postby ralphbfc » 06 Jul 2017, 21:05

absolutely.

Return to “Club/Tournament/Player Announcements”