Bristol Subbuteo Football Club

The place for announcments about clubs/tournaments/meetings/finding new players etc.
rfairbro
Forum Newbie

Bristol Subbuteo Football Club

Postby rfairbro » 17 Oct 2017, 18:00

Has now launched a League, A league Cup and a knockout Cup - and are looking fro new players to join. We meet once a month on the 3rd Monday of each month at the Crafty Cow Pub in North Bristol.

Check out Bristol Subbuteo FC on Facebook.

Get in touch if you are interested

Cheers

Bob

spudski
Grand Master

Re: Bristol Subbuteo Football Club

Postby spudski » 18 Oct 2017, 08:34

I was initially interested in coming along, but correct me if I'm wrong, do you play Fistf table soccer and not Subbuteo?

I don't think my HW figures and Subbuteo Goalkeeper on plastic rod, and preference to play Subbuteo with Subbuteo equipment would sit well in such an environment.

If different, I'd be interested.

ralphtheclaret
Grand Master

Postby ralphtheclaret » 18 Oct 2017, 19:33

..he displays a sliders base m'lord .. tis no more than a sliders base I tell thee :wink: :lol:

rfairbro
Forum Newbie

Postby rfairbro » 18 Oct 2017, 22:12

You would be most welcome to come along and check it out. We're currently playing under Fistf rules. Everyone is playing with flat based figures though you are welcome to use HW figures if you wish. However I would suggest that you get a larger GK because of the smaller ball size.

ralphtheclaret
Grand Master

Postby ralphtheclaret » 19 Oct 2017, 05:50

Smaller ball size ? What are you using ?

ralphtheclaret
Grand Master

Postby ralphtheclaret » 19 Oct 2017, 06:18

Smaller ball size ? What are you using ?

Sorry just realised you seemingly assume that Subbuteo players use the old one inch ball ? .. by and large we don't.

rfairbro
Forum Newbie

Postby rfairbro » 19 Oct 2017, 07:02

I have only come back to Subbuteo myself a few months ago myself. I loved the 'old' game and have begun to realise that the simple world of Subbuteo that I grew up with has been split asunder into different factions - so know don't feel qualified to assume anything :). I found recently that not many people play the beautiful game of Subbuteo ( and scant younger age groups) - much less 'the old or new' versions. What has been available to me has been the more modern game (So much of my skills lay in 'spinning' the figures which seem, sadly, redundant). My feeling is better to get on board with something approximating the game rather than very little at all. If you run with 'old' Subbuteo rules competitions then let me know I would enjoy giving my old teams a run out. Perhaps when Brighton come to Turf Moor we can meet up! I love your ground. Proper ground and proper footballing history.

spudski
Grand Master

Postby spudski » 19 Oct 2017, 08:13

Thanks for the reply Bob.

I've been an interested bystander to the Bristol Subbuteo Club for a while. I follow out of interest on FB and Twitter.

Initially I was really excited that at long last Bristol was going to have a Club that met regularly playing Subbuteo.

My last playing was at a Subbuteo fair and Tournament a couple months back near Stoke. A good 2 hours drive away.

We played using Subbuteo equipment and rules.

I have been very tempted to come along to the Crafty Cow. With 5 new players it's growing fast which is cool.

I think you'd be surprised how many people still actually play Subbuteo...it's just not published as much over the Internet like the Fistf game.

The game of Subbuteo is still a massive seller...you've only got to look at how much gets sold on ebay every week. It's not just collectors, but people buying it up and starting to play again...all be it in their own homes.

I find myself feeling really frustrated and torn. It's a bit like having Kylie saying 'come have a go' once a month, but knowing she's got a dose lol ;-)

I've tried playing the slidey game in the past, I ended up losing interest and frustrated. Why have a burger when Steak is still available? So much of the Subbuteo game is lost when playing table soccer.

I also noticed you've made fixtures for an ongoing league throughout the season. What happens if life gets in the way and you have to miss a meeting?

If Subbuteo games could be played on the evening I'd certainly be interested.

Thanks for your reply.

Much appreciated.

Focus On
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber

Postby Focus On » 19 Oct 2017, 08:23

worth the dose.....ummmmmm
Ex ICF read the books see the films, laugh, and then ask what really happened

spudski
Grand Master

Postby spudski » 19 Oct 2017, 08:40

Maybe that's what'll happen fella lol

ralphtheclaret
Grand Master

Postby ralphtheclaret » 19 Oct 2017, 09:39

Perhaps when Brighton come to Turf Moor we can meet up! I love your ground. Proper ground and proper footballing history.
Yes get in touch if you decide to venture up here

rfairbro
Forum Newbie

Postby rfairbro » 19 Oct 2017, 09:48

That's encouraging to know that there might be a bigger interest in Subbuteo than I thought - food for thought. As for the fixtures, I mentioned that it is a base to operate from and of course games will be missed. The good news is that with 2 tables I have predicted that we have a lot of spare capacity built into the program - so it it goes exactly to plan we will probably start pulling games forward in the program. But, as you say, life will get in the way but I am confident we can accommodate most things. In fact having just set up fixtures for 5 (and a cups for 6 as the pub manager wants in on the cup games) I ahem just had another guy come in so I have changed the fixtures to work with him. The other thing about all this is they are are simply a nice crowd and we have a nice vibe going - which for me counts for a lot. Who knows perhaps we create a cup that is solely for 'Subbuteo' - I think that would go down well. Why not come down for a session and it you like it then 'sign up' for a season - which we will aim for a May finish.

spudski
Grand Master

Postby spudski » 19 Oct 2017, 11:02

That's encouraging to know that there might be a bigger interest in Subbuteo than I thought - food for thought. As for the fixtures, I mentioned that it is a base to operate from and of course games will be missed. The good news is that with 2 tables I have predicted that we have a lot of spare capacity built into the program - so it it goes exactly to plan we will probably start pulling games forward in the program. But, as you say, life will get in the way but I am confident we can accommodate most things. In fact having just set up fixtures for 5 (and a cups for 6 as the pub manager wants in on the cup games) I ahem just had another guy come in so I have changed the fixtures to work with him. The other thing about all this is they are are simply a nice crowd and we have a nice vibe going - which for me counts for a lot. Who knows perhaps we create a cup that is solely for 'Subbuteo' - I think that would go down well. Why not come down for a session and it you like it then 'sign up' for a season - which we will aim for a May finish.
Thanks for the reply Bob.

I'll try and make the next session then.

I also spoke to Adam Lundy today, we are hoping to get together in November to play Subbuteo as well. There is also interest from a couple collectors who want to start playing.

My inbox is full of people who play Subbuteo, but mostly with just friends in their own houses.

I set up a Subbuteo night that was held once a month at El Rincon, the Spanish bar near Ashton gate. I'm not sure whether they still play there. Unfortunately, when I set it up, my work commitments took me abroad so I wasn't able to attend, however, I was told it was very popular.

Hopefully I can get over next time and meet you all. It's all about having fun and a good vibe for me, so that sounds encouraging.

Many thanks again.

rfairbro
Forum Newbie

Postby rfairbro » 24 Oct 2017, 11:07

Thanks for the lead on El Rincon in Bristol. I have been in touch and they have confirmed that they don't host Table Football anymore - however they do still have a couple of pitches stored at the bowls club and are prepared to donate to Bristol STFC subject to their condition. It look like we might owe you a beer if you can make it to our next session!

Automatedanimal
Forum Newbie

Postby Automatedanimal » 07 Nov 2017, 13:31

If there is enough interest in the old subbuteo, we could perhaps have a night of old school subbuteo. Old players, pitch, rules etc.

Return to “Club/Tournament/Player Announcements”