Bristol Subbuteo Football Club

The place for announcments about clubs/tournaments/meetings/finding new players etc.
Gullseye
Grand Master

Re: Bristol Subbuteo Football Club

Postby Gullseye » 07 Nov 2017, 19:28

I see no reason why you can't play games with HW's against flat bases. It worked quite well when I played Bob and Dave a couple of weeks ago. I think the two different styles made the games even more interesting. In fact it would be intriguing to play with a mixed base team.

Automatedanimal
Forum Newbie

Postby Automatedanimal » 07 Nov 2017, 21:29

I'll second that I thought it was about enjoying the game and playing with whatever bases you like the most.

spudski
Grand Master

Postby spudski » 08 Nov 2017, 08:42

Wouldn't be for me...all for having fun and enjoying Subbuteo, but it would be like saying... 'lets play Snooker, then adding billiards and Pool into the mix.'

And as soon as I see 'cattle branding equipment' hovering around in the 6 yard box, it makes my blood boil lol.

Add that, to a highly polished flat base zooming up the flank from his own 18 yard box into my own....then it falls completely flat to me....almost as flat as those bases ;-)

It isn't Subbuteo...it's sports table soccer, which is a completely different game.

In the same way as Snooker is different to Billiards and Pool.

I really hope the Bristol guys enjoy playing their game and they have lots of fun doing so. But as I understand it, some of them want to play the FISTF game seriously. So I can't see Subbuteo being embraced.

However....the good news is, we have 5 people playing Subbuteo this weekend, all meeting up for the first time as one group, two tables, so plenty of games, and all hoping to make it a regular meet up. :-)

So on a Subbuteo front...the starting up of the Bristol Club, ignited interest in some others who have wanted to play Subbuteo, and we've made the effort to meet up and play and make it a regular event.

So it's been a positive thing all round for everyone....whatever game you wish to play.

ralphtheclaret
Grand Master

Postby ralphtheclaret » 08 Nov 2017, 09:14

I'll second that I thought it was about enjoying the game and playing with whatever bases you like the most.
It is indeed and what game you play and under what rules is entirely up to you .. but you seem to have included the S word in your club title ? :wink:

spudski
Grand Master

Postby spudski » 08 Nov 2017, 10:22

It is indeed and what game you play and under what rules is entirely up to you .. but you seem to have included the S word in your club title ? :wink:
That's what excited me when I first saw the club being introduced Ralph...the name Subbuteo in the club name. I thought I'd hang fire to see how things develop as I've seen this misleading title before with other clubs. It's like turning up to a snooker club to find everyone playing pool or billiards, it really is that different. Surely clubs that play sports table football shouldn't use Subbuteo in their club name as it's so misleading? No offence to the Bristol club, as I think it's great for them, but frustrating for others who wish to play Subbuteo.

ralphtheclaret
Grand Master

Postby ralphtheclaret » 08 Nov 2017, 11:02

The ESA are the same they pick it up and put it down when it suits them ... going back years you've only to read TE's thoughts to see how way off-beam some people are and were ... back in the 70's all the fuss and splits when people were somehow surprised that a company which existed to make money by making toys .. wanted to erm ... oh yes make money by selingl toys :lol: instead of bowing to older people who might buy one team every five years ?!

Automatedanimal
Forum Newbie

Postby Automatedanimal » 09 Nov 2017, 22:42

When are you doing the Subbuteo meet spudski?

spudski
Grand Master

Postby spudski » 10 Nov 2017, 09:02

When are you doing the Subbuteo meet spudski?
This Sunday up in Worcester. Only an hours drive, same for getting across Bristol these days unfortunately.

Return to “Club/Tournament/Player Announcements”