OSC OS (Old Subbuteo Club Old Sods)

The place for announcments about clubs/tournaments/meetings/finding new players etc.
lloydie1109
ISF 2018-19 Subscriber
ISF 2018-19 Subscriber

Re: OSC OS (Old Subbuteo Club Old Sods)

Postby lloydie1109 » 03 May 2018, 18:01

Or you me, no disrepect to you mate, but there are what can be called top quality players of flats, who use them in all formats of the game, size of ball would not affect their standards at all. Kev Dyson, by the way uses a four man defence and plays FISTF with flats and scores plenty,.
However what we are saying are speculative words, one day on the baize you will know for sure if you would beat them with the small ball,
until then we will never know

ralphtheclaret
Grand Master

Postby ralphtheclaret » 03 May 2018, 18:08

the point I was making was that I have seen these chaps play (at close quarters) and they are excellent players with the big ball - the small ball makes for an entirely different game like I say right and wrong doesn't come into it .. I doubt I will ever know for sure but on the upside nobody really gives a flip either :wink: ... whether I've seen you play isn't really of any relevance to the conversation ?

lloydie1109
ISF 2018-19 Subscriber
ISF 2018-19 Subscriber

Postby lloydie1109 » 03 May 2018, 18:14

the point I was making was that I have seen these chaps play (at close quarters) and they are excellent players with the big ball - the small ball makes for an entirely different game like I say right and wrong doesn't come into it .. I doubt I will ever know for sure but on the upside nobody really gives a flip either :wink: ... whether I've seen you play isn't really of any relevance to the conversation ?
Flats are my weakest format, mainly due to the fact they are least used figures I play with, point I was making, is we can all say this or that in the written word, but until its in reality on the baize no one can say, or know for sure what will happen.

ralphtheclaret
Grand Master

Postby ralphtheclaret » 04 May 2018, 06:17

True Paul but you did infer that I'd be lucky to get the ball off him :wink: the funniest thing about the FF ball is when people use the later SSG term of practice ball to describe it because to my mind it is so different to the other balls that it is completely useless as a practice device for the standard or big ball .

Only person on here who can comment on my prowess with a small ball and flats is number9 but I maintain that it makes for a different game and having been at tournaments with the big ball players I'd give any of them a good game ... might lose but they'd have to earn the win ... not claiming to be a world-beater but it would be a leveller

We'll never know because the days when I would drive miles to play someone whose idea of Subbuteo boils down to 29 minutes of blanket defence have gone I'm afraid so unless they suddenly appear in a BB postcode team in hand ready to play it will remain pure conjecture.

lloydie1109
ISF 2018-19 Subscriber
ISF 2018-19 Subscriber

Postby lloydie1109 » 04 May 2018, 07:01

The thing with certain Flats players like Dave Collet, regardless of the ball size is the way they can keep possession, in using the word 'you' I was referring to all players, as thats they way he plays.
A good subbuteo player can use any ball pitch and still be good, after a short period of adapting they would do ok.

On this forum there is one player who has played at the top with flats and 00 scale and can be classed as a true top player, Mr Pepper. I have seen him win an event with unpolished flats on Astropitches not using the large ball, I would be fairly certain that he would be close to that standard with a small ball.

Subbuteo is diverse, and long may it continue.

One day, what we shall have to do is get some of us together, have a an event where we all play games using the three sizes of balls, it would be a great event, more so great fun

spudski
Grand Master

Postby spudski » 04 May 2018, 11:30

We've been using different size balls at the Old Sods events.

More recently we've moved to playing with FF size balls with HW and LW teams. Took a bit of getting used to...you just have to be more accurate.

The original FF Subbuteo balls are a pile of pants...too light and don't roll straight. All over the place. No point in being a good player and flicking correctly if the ball doesn't go where you aimed and deviates through poor production.

We've found modern versions that roll true and are slightly heavier. They make for great games.

However...when just having a laugh, we will play with anything and embrace all the nuances and imperfections of the game.

ralphtheclaret
Grand Master

Postby ralphtheclaret » 04 May 2018, 12:27

Two panel ones are okay three panel dreadful ...might see you in July

spudski
Grand Master

Postby spudski » 04 May 2018, 13:25

Look forward to it Ralph.

ralphtheclaret
Grand Master

Postby ralphtheclaret » 04 May 2018, 13:30

I shall do my best to come down ... thought I spied an FF on a photo the modern ones are good .. bit heavier and less likely to crack

ralphtheclaret
Grand Master

Postby ralphtheclaret » 05 May 2018, 07:35

True Paul but really it comes down to mindset .. the chaps you mention who I would agree are good at what they do play Sports Table Football or the old Table Soccer and good luck to them .. I'd rather just play with the OS lads who certainly in the UK know how to enjoy themselves and make sure everyone else does too . For a start I'm not overly happy playing anyone who insists on having a referee , to be honest if I'm playing a game that is essentially for me an escape from reality/ a memory of childhood etc I don't really want to be in the company of a chap who can't play the game based on mutual trust and respect ? this is a football game/toy we are talking about not an actual sport whatever these fellas might claim
Last edited by ralphtheclaret on 05 May 2018, 07:40, edited 2 times in total.

Number9
Professional

Postby Number9 » 05 May 2018, 07:37

Just coming back to life after a hectic few months and read this thread - really chuffed the teams are getting such a positive reaction :clap: - and the thing that really makes me proud is they are being USED!!!

If they were just table ornaments there would be no point doing it - so thanks to all you flickers out there :awe: :awe: :awe:

As to ball size, I only really use FFs, and I can personally attest that Ralph is a total sod when playing small ball games :lol:

It is definitely a matter of control when playing in straight lines with FF, the delicate flick approach is soooo much more difficult, but long passing is more often successful - which means that games are more open. The target when curling is also smaller so has of necessity to be a bit more accurately, that's why I spend so much time on the balance of the figures TBH.

Oh and one last not so controversial point - small ball games need small goals as well!! So when Ralph scored direct from a corner I was right p!ssed off! :crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: :crazyeyes:
http://www.pendlefalcon.com

The Traditional Subbuteo Society

We bring our preparation to the table, and opportunity may present itself, and if you are well prepared, you can seize opportunity and then maybe something good happens, and you call that luck.

Michael Mann

lloydie1109
ISF 2018-19 Subscriber
ISF 2018-19 Subscriber

Postby lloydie1109 » 05 May 2018, 08:36

True Paul but really it comes down to mindset .. the chaps you mention who I would agree are good at what they do play Sports Table Football or the old Table Soccer and good luck to them .. I'd rather just play with the OS lads who certainly in the UK know how to enjoy themselves and make sure everyone else does too . For a start I'm not overly happy playing anyone who insists on having a referee , to be honest if I'm playing a game that is essentially for me an escape from reality/ a memory of childhood etc I don't really want to be in the company of a chap who can't play the game based on mutual trust and respect ? this is a football game/toy we are talking about not an actual sport whatever these fellas might claim
It is each to their own, or when in Rome etc.
As you know I have known most of the ESA/TSPA players for decades, not all, are serious sportsmen, a lot are great lads, and if they played you, they would play in the spirit you play with. Yes there are lunatics there, I know them, but not all are.

We all have our Subbuteo Kingdoms, where we play with the equipment we love and in a way we love, as in other walks of life, not everyone likes doing what the other does. Its all part of the weird and wonderful world of Subbuteo.

A mate compared the various forms of Subbuteo to a curry, some have a mild one, some vindaloo, others a Korma, none are wrong, we all choose the ones we like.

ralphtheclaret
Grand Master

Postby ralphtheclaret » 05 May 2018, 09:42

That is a good thought Paul ...

ralphtheclaret
Grand Master

Postby ralphtheclaret » 05 May 2018, 09:46

Just coming back to life after a hectic few months and read this thread - really chuffed the teams are getting such a positive reaction :clap: - and the thing that really makes me proud is they are being USED!!!

If they were just table ornaments there would be no point doing it - so thanks to all you flickers out there :awe: :awe: :awe:

As to ball size, I only really use FFs, and I can personally attest that Ralph is a total sod when playing small ball games :lol:

It is definitely a matter of control when playing in straight lines with FF, the delicate flick approach is soooo much more difficult, but long passing is more often successful - which means that games are more open. The target when curling is also smaller so has of necessity to be a bit more accurately, that's why I spend so much time on the balance of the figures TBH.

Oh and one last not so controversial point - small ball games need small goals as well!! So when Ralph scored direct from a corner I was right p!ssed off! :crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: :crazyeyes:
:wink: ... don't tell them all of my secrets ... if ever they catch on to my American style set play manual I'm finished

Return to “Club/Tournament/Player Announcements”