Are auctions dead

The place for Ebay related Subbuteo topics (excluding auction advertising).
duncthehat
Seasoned Professional

Are auctions dead

Postby duncthehat » 04 Jul 2017, 21:15

Question in the title really. Sell lots of collectables besides subby on ebay. Getting to the point I feel that everything needs to be buy it now, especially high end pieces.

Has anyone else given up offering auctions

Ridiculous thing is my sales away from ebay are going great guns.

Focus On
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber

Re: Are auctions dead

Postby Focus On » 05 Jul 2017, 07:12

Same boat...private sales great ebay sales very slow
Ex ICF read the books see the films, laugh, and then ask what really happened

spudski
Grand Master

Postby spudski » 05 Jul 2017, 07:13

Question in the title really. Sell lots of collectables besides subby on ebay. Getting to the point I feel that everything needs to be buy it now, especially high end pieces.

Has anyone else given up offering auctions

Ridiculous thing is my sales away from ebay are going great guns.
I've found whilst hunting for Subbuteo, that many cultures/countries don't like Auctions. They prefer to either give a price to buy, or 'make me an offer' and barter from that. Perhaps it's going that way in the UK as well.

Tbh...I don't take much notice of ebay anymore. I use it occasionally now.

The odd person likes a 'gamble' still...but that's what it is on ebay...a huge gamble. Too much tat on it.

Collecting isn't dead...amongst collectors of all items, not just subby, it's still going strong. Many people prefer to deal with fellow collectors privately. Friends of mine that collect other collectibles, have also said the same thing. They prefer to deal amongst themselves or avoid ebay.

Going off on a slight tangent...

One thing I've found out...Charity shops and House clearance companies....they won't sell or auction any Items now if there is something missing. So any Subby that isn't complete gets thrown. Leave your card with them, and tell them you will consider anything whatever 'condition'. That's what I do...it still brings in the goods.

Plus when 'hunting' you really do have to be proactive as it often gets the best results.

As an example...I have been in Croatia over the past few days. I took a 1978 catalogue with me, put it in my pocket and left it on the edge of my table at a bar. Sure enough...the word 'Subbuteo' caught someone's eye, an Italian guy, we got talking, thankfully he could speak English, and he has some that he would be willing to let me buy. He doesn't know it's collectible :D

Thinking outside of ebay is the way forward imo.

duncthehat
Seasoned Professional

Postby duncthehat » 05 Jul 2017, 15:44

lol yeah I try and use a subbuteo player as my card protector when playing poker. Picked up a couple of nice teams that way myself!! Always feel i get a subby fix playing poker..... if i fold my cards i tend to place them on the baize and finger flick them to the dealer :)

JAMES
Forum Newbie

Postby JAMES » 05 Jul 2017, 18:28

I think with regard to auctions on ebay, its going that way. Increased postal costs, ebay fees and their selling strategies mean if a item does not sell for a certain amount, the seller makes only pence or could even be at a loss. This applies to the lower value items, say under a fiver. And realistically many subbuteo teams and items are only worth upto £10.

drsonic
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber

Postby drsonic » 06 Jul 2017, 08:08

I'd agree that there are many items on ebay that are not of the greatest quality and so there's little benefit to having an auction as the likelihood that more than 2 people would be interested in bidding is slim. This is appears to be very true for the sub-£10 items as highlighted by James, although there is always a lull in the daylight savings period between March and October.

For the higher end items I think that the seller has a minimum price they'd be prepared to sell so having a fixed price appears to work best or at least having the flexibility of giving the potential buyer the ability to barter. This way the lottery of an auction is negated for the seller. Fixing a realistic price for an item is slightly tricky as not everyone appears to understand the current market prices. That "rare" Liverpool zombie probably isn't going to fetch the £25 asking price....

I still believe for the mid-range items in the £15-40 area, that the quality of the item would bring in more than 1 bidder so having the auction still has a place.

There is always a discussion to be had on where is the best place for collectors to purchase items. A brief list would have :
1. The forum. Probably the most secure place to acquire quality items from a trusted source, but selling on here appears rare.
2. Auctions / Charity Shops / Sunday Markets. Looking round a lot of Sunday markets and charity shops takes a lot of time when this might not be available to a lot of people.
3. Ebay. This seems the most accessible to the majority of people. 5 mins of a lunchtime once a week, can highlight some potentially interesting items. The downsides of ebay have been discussed previously...
4. Renishaw/Stoke. For me the best place to purchase as you can get a chance to properly examine any team, chat, barter and having a fair certainty that the team is what it should be. The downsides are that there are only 2 or 3 opportunities each year which does not always satisfy the collecting bug.

To go slightly off topic, I would extend the discussion to ask are we in a long term dip for HW collectors? Ebay etc is full of "rare" Liverpool, Man Utd, Argentina and Brazil etc. I suspect most collectors here have many versions of the above but where are the Stockport County and Prestons'. Even given their minority at the time of production, does is seem plausible that there are less than 50-100 items, at a guess, of a team left in the world. I suspect that the collectors who have them are keeping hold due to the rarity and they may have spent a lot more than the current market value to get them.

Just some random thoughts...

nick
Searching for LPM Black Box teams: Morocco, Senegal, Botswana and Lesotho.

lloydie1109
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber

Postby lloydie1109 » 07 Jul 2017, 15:14

I think that the auction side of things has dropped due to the client demands of the modern era. People are no longer wanting to wait for a week to try and buy an item. The people of today want things Now, very little patience at all.

Ebay are looking something of a change, Auction lots must start at £100 or Dollars or they must be Buy It Now.
They are trialing it in a couple of countries, and sales are up

barrychuckle
Seasoned Professional

Postby barrychuckle » 07 Jul 2017, 20:40

If there's one thing I can guarantee it's we will be having this very same discussion in a years time. As has been the case for the last 8 years since I joined the forum. People do not sit on their computers chasing ebay auctions in the middle of summer when it is 30 plus degrees outside with longer hours of daylight. There is more than enough time during the dark cold winter months for ebay.

ian_tambo
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber

Postby ian_tambo » 08 Jul 2017, 06:44

Pattern ive noticed on ebay is that individual teams dont seem to sell well anymore apart from the odd exception. Collections fair much better aa more appeal to buyers given they can buy 'a collection' and postage reasonable.

Buying for me though has always been through private ads, house clearance shops etc.

And the beauty is- you can dip in and out as and when you please.still plenty out there as seen with Skells great find in Scotland.

albertocollection
Semi-Pro

Postby albertocollection » 10 Jul 2017, 09:22

I have seen a dropping in the hw prices during the last three years. But with many differences.
- Accessories market is dead, except for the very very rare items.
- Easy teams like "the most wanted" Liverpool or Manchester City or ref 2 rerely reach £10-15 .
- What was sold in the past for £60 like many many teams has decrease to £35-40 .
- All the others teams have increased the prices a lot. Probably, and it is my opinion, there are not so many people that start a new collection, like happened in the past.
People that still collect Subbuteo HW are trying to complete their collection (1-81, or 1-100, or 1-195 or wharever) The rarest pieces are the same for all these collections and the prices remain high !
Recently some very rare teams have been sold for more than £300 that it is still s great amount of money...

PeteJS
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber

Postby PeteJS » 11 Jul 2017, 19:29

eBay seems to be just full of the same tat nowadays. The same people, some good some bad, relisting and relisting and relisting. I think there still is 6 terrible teams still being list for 25 as I speak. They aren't worth 5.
It's got very dull over there and I've not bought anything much on it for around a year now. If I've missed something so be it, I really can't be bothered with eBay. It needs a clear out, much better items, and less of this cyclic tat going on.
Current spares: Brescia x2 light blue inner, white outer, PMs please if you can help.

barrychuckle
Seasoned Professional

Postby barrychuckle » 12 Jul 2017, 07:47

eBay seems to be just full of the same tat nowadays. The same people, some good some bad, relisting and relisting and relisting. I think there still is 6 terrible teams still being list for 25 as I speak. They aren't worth 5.
It's got very dull over there and I've not bought anything much on it for around a year now. If I've missed something so be it, I really can't be bothered with eBay. It needs a clear out, much better items, and less of this cyclic tat going on.
Got to hold my hands up here but when you've got a couple of hundred goals, pitches, fences, scoreboards, balls etc. where are you meant to get shot of them too?

PeteJS
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber

Postby PeteJS » 12 Jul 2017, 19:24

Barry, I don't mind people selling tat, it's when they keep listing for the same unsold price. I mean, hello, is anyone in there? You're not getting 25 quid this week, or next month or next year for this pile of dog-doo. If you can't be bothered to drop the price, then drop it in your local charity shop and let them have a go.
Peeps expect someone to come along and just splash some money on the 1st thing they see. Maybe they will. However, with the pure levels of junk on eBay nowadays, that's highly unlikely.
Current spares: Brescia x2 light blue inner, white outer, PMs please if you can help.

Focus On
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber

Postby Focus On » 13 Jul 2017, 09:56

This is why the best offer button is there though Pete...i overcharge on buy nows just so someone can negotiate a price we are both happy with, example just this morning i had a Belgium Club set i wanted a ton for cause its very rare and we settled on £70 eventually, i'm happy, he's happy.

Have a few reg guys that pm saying whats the price between friends and we do it that way on auction only stuff, that works for me and f u c k ebay
Ex ICF read the books see the films, laugh, and then ask what really happened

lloydie1109
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber

Postby lloydie1109 » 13 Jul 2017, 10:02

Barry, I don't mind people selling tat, it's when they keep listing for the same unsold price. I mean, hello, is anyone in there? You're not getting 25 quid this week, or next month or next year for this pile of dog-doo. If you can't be bothered to drop the price, then drop it in your local charity shop and let them have a go.
Peeps expect someone to come along and just splash some money on the 1st thing they see. Maybe they will. However, with the pure levels of junk on eBay nowadays, that's highly unlikely.
I agree in the main, not just Subbuteo but every other section is the same. The problem is there are millions of folk out there who think what they have is worth a packet, and if they are told otherwise, you are accused of ripping them off. recently a chap contacted me by phone regarding 2 bog standard Subbuteo Rugby Teams, and wanted to know if I would buy they, he wanted £75 each, for a ref 2 and 5. He said they would go on ebay then, I assured him he would get 15-20 quid each Max. He would not accept the valuation. Old does not mean valuable

Return to “Subbuteo on Ebay”