Are auctions dead

The place for Ebay related Subbuteo topics (excluding auction advertising).
Vikash
Grand Master

Re: Are auctions dead

Postby Vikash » 13 Jul 2017, 13:21

Barry, I don't mind people selling tat, it's when they keep listing for the same unsold price. I mean, hello, is anyone in there? You're not getting 25 quid this week, or next month or next year for this pile of dog-doo. If you can't be bothered to drop the price, then drop it in your local charity shop and let them have a go.
Peeps expect someone to come along and just splash some money on the 1st thing they see. Maybe they will. However, with the pure levels of junk on eBay nowadays, that's highly unlikely.
I agree in the main, not just Subbuteo but every other section is the same. The problem is there are millions of folk out there who think what they have is worth a packet, and if they are told otherwise, you are accused of ripping them off. recently a chap contacted me by phone regarding 2 bog standard Subbuteo Rugby Teams, and wanted to know if I would buy they, he wanted £75 each, for a ref 2 and 5. He said they would go on ebay then, I assured him he would get 15-20 quid each Max. He would not accept the valuation. Old does not mean valuable
Absolutely agree, Paul :) Then again, I have also had a chap tell me that the mint Ref. 800 Velez Sarsfield I was selling a couple of years ago was worth 30 Euros ;-) :lol:
How about them transparent dangling carrots
How about that ever elusive kudo

PeteJS
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber

Postby PeteJS » 13 Jul 2017, 18:16

Barry, I don't mind people selling tat, it's when they keep listing for the same unsold price. I mean, hello, is anyone in there? You're not getting 25 quid this week, or next month or next year for this pile of dog-doo. If you can't be bothered to drop the price, then drop it in your local charity shop and let them have a go.
Peeps expect someone to come along and just splash some money on the 1st thing they see. Maybe they will. However, with the pure levels of junk on eBay nowadays, that's highly unlikely.
I agree in the main, not just Subbuteo but every other section is the same. The problem is there are millions of folk out there who think what they have is worth a packet, and if they are told otherwise, you are accused of ripping them off. recently a chap contacted me by phone regarding 2 bog standard Subbuteo Rugby Teams, and wanted to know if I would buy they, he wanted £75 each, for a ref 2 and 5. He said they would go on ebay then, I assured him he would get 15-20 quid each Max. He would not accept the valuation. Old does not mean valuable
Yep seen that before. Teams being sold for loads, such as a Ref. 8. You point out there's no way they are going to get that and there's unreasonable logic going on they are going to get their valuation. They'll find out the hard way.
Current spares: Brescia x2 light blue inner, white outer, PMs please if you can help.

Gullseye
Grand Master

Postby Gullseye » 13 Jul 2017, 18:42

I think we probably reached the peak in prices about 3 years ago. We all said then that values were getting to ridiculous levels, prices have fallen steeply since then and seem unlikely to get back any time soon. I expect there is a combination of reasons, fewer new collectors, collectors moving on to other areas, low pay rises, repaints flooding the market etc

Vikash
Grand Master

Postby Vikash » 14 Jul 2017, 06:08

This is why the best offer button is there though Pete...i overcharge on buy nows just so someone can negotiate a price we are both happy with, example just this morning i had a Belgium Club set i wanted a ton for cause its very rare and we settled on £70 eventually, i'm happy, he's happy.

Have a few reg guys that pm saying whats the price between friends and we do it that way on auction only stuff, that works for me and f u c k ebay
How I roll as well, Mark ;-)
How about them transparent dangling carrots
How about that ever elusive kudo

Return to “Subbuteo on Ebay”