Shipping from America

The place for Ebay related Subbuteo topics (excluding auction advertising).
PeteJS
ISF 2018-19 Subscriber
ISF 2018-19 Subscriber

Shipping from America

Postby PeteJS » 22 Apr 2018, 21:05

Seems a bit of minefield on eBay, not necessarily Subbuteo here, but just comparing similar style of board games.
Some have free shipping, although that might change if you checked out. This then goes all the way through the 20s right up to 65$!
Anybody had much experience with getting stuff from the states, I'm pretty sure it wasn't this much say about 15 years ago.
Current spares: Brescia x2 light blue inner, white outer, PMs please if you can help.

mrchrisallen
ISF 2018-19 Subscriber
ISF 2018-19 Subscriber

Re: Shipping from America

Postby mrchrisallen » 22 Apr 2018, 22:48

Bought some job lots from an American seller a year or two ago who'd got some old shop stock of UK made Subbuteo from 70s.
Main issue was having to pay 20% VAT to UK Customs before they allow items to be forwarded to you.
I guess same applies for anywhere outside EU.

blues.bass
Forum Newbie

Postby blues.bass » 23 Apr 2018, 04:02

Being from New Zealand I have to ship pretty much everything in from overseas and shipping costs do vary quite considerably on the size and weight of the item, and the type of service the seller is offering.
Some will offer the cheapest options, but others will insist on tracking (which is really a good idea), but does add to the cost.
I have found that it pays to message the seller before you bid to confirm the costs and sometimes they will be willing to forgo the tracking etc...
I have sold some stuff on auction sites and I charge the shipping at cost, and never clip the ticket as some sellers do I've noticed.
I guess at the end of the day, if you want it you pays the $s.
AKA SM_FFC

PeteJS
ISF 2018-19 Subscriber
ISF 2018-19 Subscriber

Postby PeteJS » 23 Apr 2018, 18:27

Being from New Zealand I have to ship pretty much everything in from overseas and shipping costs do vary quite considerably on the size and weight of the item, and the type of service the seller is offering.
Some will offer the cheapest options, but others will insist on tracking (which is really a good idea), but does add to the cost.
I have found that it pays to message the seller before you bid to confirm the costs and sometimes they will be willing to forgo the tracking etc...
I have sold some stuff on auction sites and I charge the shipping at cost, and never clip the ticket as some sellers do I've noticed.
I guess at the end of the day, if you want it you pays the $s.
Too true, if I really need it I will go for it, I'm sure. Some of the postage options really do put you off. This eBay shipment programme doesn't seem at-all good value, and I'll avoid those sellers if that's all they can offer.
Current spares: Brescia x2 light blue inner, white outer, PMs please if you can help.

Focus On
Grand Master

Postby Focus On » 24 Apr 2018, 06:31

As a rule i dont buy from there but its worth the risk if the item is cheap, no customs hassle then

had an item from there this week arrive but took a LONG time and that was thru the rip off GSP (£20 one slot car)

Car was a tenner though and worth £70 restored so i bit the bullet

Customs are just legalized mafia :angry: :angry:
Bored to FLICK

Heavyweight021
Grand Master

Postby Heavyweight021 » 24 Apr 2018, 21:18

I've just secured a WW1 item from America: price £71.69, with tracked shipping of £39.54.

Not looking forward to the customs slice ..... :evil:

Though I'm hoping it's a price worth paying.

Focus On
Grand Master

Postby Focus On » 25 Apr 2018, 06:26

Heavy item Ian?
Bored to FLICK

Gullseye
Grand Master

Postby Gullseye » 25 Apr 2018, 07:26

I've just secured a WW1 item from America: price £71.69, with tracked shipping of £39.54.

Following Brexit we are all going to have to get used to the " customs slice ", something not experienced in the lifetime of most of us.

lloydie1109
ISF 2018-19 Subscriber
ISF 2018-19 Subscriber

Postby lloydie1109 » 25 Apr 2018, 08:30

Following Brexit we are all going to have to get used to the " customs slice ", something not experienced in the lifetime of most of us.
Hopefully Steve, the UK will strike a collective or individual trade deal(s) with the EU and or its Member nations

Focus On
Grand Master

Postby Focus On » 25 Apr 2018, 15:29

If Brexit EVER happens...
Bored to FLICK

Heavyweight021
Grand Master

Postby Heavyweight021 » 25 Apr 2018, 17:51

Heavy item Ian?
It's a WW1 German Regimental Stein for a little exhibition I'm planning.

But ... here's the (interesting) blurb from the seller re shipping charges:

"This ships USPS Priority shipping and includes FREE insurance. There ARE NO charges for packing and wrapping but are always just the USPS charges. If I miss the weight it comes out of MY pocket not yours. People STILL keep hitting me down in on the shipping in feedback which is a mystery to me as I OFTEN ship Priority which is a bit more expensive but on fragile items much more likely to arrive in one piece. THESE COSTS ARE FOR YOUR PROTECTION! Please understand that. This item may weigh out as much as 15 ounces less than the indicated weight BUT the USPS rounds UP the weight to the greatest pound over that additional ounce. This is true whether Priority or Parcel Post - this is NOT my doing. I spend a lot on bubble wrap and am glad to offer it for FREE but am at a loss as to why I am being consistently down rated on the cost of the postage and handling which I have NO control over."

Focus On
Grand Master

Postby Focus On » 25 Apr 2018, 18:56

Lot of fold for a beer glass mate
and 40 holes shipping is strong no matter how much fluff you put round it, verbally or physically
Bored to FLICK

PeteJS
ISF 2018-19 Subscriber
ISF 2018-19 Subscriber

Postby PeteJS » 29 Apr 2018, 10:24

Heavy item Ian?
It's a WW1 German Regimental Stein for a little exhibition I'm planning.

But ... here's the (interesting) blurb from the seller re shipping charges:

"This ships USPS Priority shipping and includes FREE insurance. There ARE NO charges for packing and wrapping but are always just the USPS charges. If I miss the weight it comes out of MY pocket not yours. People STILL keep hitting me down in on the shipping in feedback which is a mystery to me as I OFTEN ship Priority which is a bit more expensive but on fragile items much more likely to arrive in one piece. THESE COSTS ARE FOR YOUR PROTECTION! Please understand that. This item may weigh out as much as 15 ounces less than the indicated weight BUT the USPS rounds UP the weight to the greatest pound over that additional ounce. This is true whether Priority or Parcel Post - this is NOT my doing. I spend a lot on bubble wrap and am glad to offer it for FREE but am at a loss as to why I am being consistently down rated on the cost of the postage and handling which I have NO control over."
I've noticed quite a few of these, seems USA traders are getting a little tired of people negging them for what is the postal charge. When you are talking some of the eye-watering postal charges, I dare say a lot of people hit the neg button.
There are some loop holes though, ordered some plastic specific glue recently. The trader was clearly based in the states (Denver) but announced that they were a UK seller. When I got the item it had gone via Denver and SWEDEN, all for free postage and of course no customs.
Also seen ones with a lot of T&Cs that are normally against eBay policy, such as "no refunds" etc.
Interesting replies, thanks all.

Heavyweight021
Grand Master

Postby Heavyweight021 » 30 Apr 2018, 23:08

Lot of fold for a beer glass mate
and 40 holes shipping is strong no matter how much fluff you put round it, verbally or physically
Aye, I keep telling myself it'll even out in the end: pay over the nail for one thing, then pick up another at a snip.

Maybe managed to do that tonight – a load of unpainted 28mm WW1 figures in blister packs – RRP £350 - grabbed for £105.

Now to get all that pewter painted!! :rolleyes:

Return to “Subbuteo on Ebay”