display

The place for Ebay related Subbuteo topics (excluding auction advertising).

Focus On
Grand Master

Re: display

Post by Focus On » 10 Aug 2018, 09:47

One day i make a repro of that, one day.........
Bored to FLICK

Focus On
Grand Master

Post by Focus On » 10 Aug 2018, 17:58

Morocco on a black player too?...Belgium diff too

Repaints obv
Bored to FLICK

Gullseye
Grand Master

Post by Gullseye » 10 Aug 2018, 20:16

Focus On wrote:
10 Aug 2018, 17:58
Morocco on a black player too?...Belgium diff too

Repaints obv
Yeah, anybody who bids needs their head tested.

Focus On
Grand Master

Post by Focus On » 11 Aug 2018, 10:31

I was kidding mate, else i wouldnt be putting a grand down it lol
Bored to FLICK

Gullseye
Grand Master

Post by Gullseye » 11 Aug 2018, 11:13

Focus On wrote:
11 Aug 2018, 10:31
I was kidding mate, else i wouldnt be putting a grand down it lol
SSshh I'm having them. They are put together very much like those shop posters I bought a few years ago, old style cut and paste jobs.

Focus On
Grand Master

Post by Focus On » 12 Aug 2018, 15:31

could repro one for a tenner max, if not free if i still have some card

dunno bout the large but deffo will slide in with a sum
Those posters were the bollox, never seen before or since....how did you come by them again?

reckon the display will go 500E
Bored to FLICK

Gullseye
Grand Master

Post by Gullseye » 12 Aug 2018, 17:54

Focus On wrote:
12 Aug 2018, 15:31
could repro one for a tenner max, if not free if i still have some card

dunno bout the large but deffo will slide in with a sum
Those posters were the bollox, never seen before or since....how did you come by them again?

reckon the display will go 500E
I bought them from a forum member a few years ago, but can't remember who it was now. Think he found them in a job lot and sold them on as soon as he had them.

I'm hoping to land at least one of the displays. Its interesting that the 1968 display show cases old HW's when the new classics were in production at that time.

Focus On
Grand Master

Post by Focus On » 13 Aug 2018, 16:48

display cases are lovely...
those posters were one of the best SSG items i ever saw, i mean top 7

put it this way i sold every single hw team i had BUT kept the copies you did for me of those, still have them
Bored to FLICK

spudski
Grand Master

Post by spudski » 17 Aug 2018, 08:12

Am I the only one that thinks these are fakes?

Too many things don't ring true.

World Cup box just cut up and stuck together. Modern different green sheet stuck on. Morocco player apparently cleaned up from ink...yet shows a completely different figure. Say's only one produced because of cost...yet would take an outworker 30 mins to slap together. Typing doesn't look right. Back of some of the items for sell look like they have had a painted aging...you can see the heavy brush strokes and even goes around the labels.

New seller with no feedback.

All of it looks well dodgy to me.

Paul
Apprentice

Post by Paul » 17 Aug 2018, 09:52

Subbuteo Toy Fair Displays from 1964 | eBay
https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Subbuteo-Toy-F ... SwYLZbavhK

Anybody identify the figure in the 3rd photo (the one immediately below the blue and white moulded). I can't quite tell; I'm looking at it on my phone and I haven't got a laptop/ PC available.
Carpet football sucks.

lloydie1109
ISF 2018-19 Subscriber
ISF 2018-19 Subscriber

Post by lloydie1109 » 17 Aug 2018, 10:32

As with all Subbuteo you never what will turn up.

When Hasbro shut down the Oulton Gate site, the staff where allowed to remove any old Subbuteo and Waddingtons games products, some was boxed up by HASBRO, and initially stored at a depot in Newport, these where then shifted to a storage depot in Dublin. Since then things have slowly appeared on ebay etc. Being sold by sellers based in Ireland. Someone a while ago found the moulds for the flat bases that was used back in the day.

Regarding the mentioned items, after speaking to the chap who was in charge of things at SSG, they were there, about 30 of them, so they were done.

regarding the dark skinned 158/Morrocco, over many years a few have shown up, first one I ever saw was about 1980, in a named Morrocco box, long before repaints were even thought of.

spudski
Grand Master

Post by spudski » 17 Aug 2018, 12:15

Hey Paul...hope you are good bud...

Maybe they did have them made Paul, I'll bow to your better knowledge on such things...however... I honestly don't think these examples are the real deal.

So many things standing out as wrong on all of them.

Take the 1968 display as an example. It's obviously a Catalogue cut up and slapped on some cardboard. You can even see the crease and staple marks/holes. Even the names of the teams are cut out from a 70's poster catalogue and stuck on. Karlsruher weren't even mentioned by SSG in 1968...not until the 70's poster catalogues. So a 1968 display with 1970's poster names stuck on... :Doh: :lol!:

Then the majority of the ohw players all have playwear.

There are endless mistakes on all of these imo.

If i'm proved wrong i'll willingly apologise and crawl back under my rock...but imo...these are way off the mark.

dawn.42
ISF 2018-19 Subscriber
ISF 2018-19 Subscriber

Post by dawn.42 » 17 Aug 2018, 12:15

I wrote to the seller here is his answer

Hi..my grandad is Brian Peterson ( his mame is on the back of the World Cup Edition Display card) he was a sales rep for Lexi Tynan who distributed Subbuteo in the UK and Ireland. He was responsible for the advertising of Subbuteo. He regularly brought football items home for my dad from toy fairs all over the UK ..The displays are stand up card ones which were usually displayed on reception desks and stalls..unlike the boxed displays which only appeared in Shops..

lloydie1109
ISF 2018-19 Subscriber
ISF 2018-19 Subscriber

Post by lloydie1109 » 17 Aug 2018, 12:39

spudski wrote:
17 Aug 2018, 12:15
Hey Paul...hope you are good bud...

Maybe they did have them made Paul, I'll bow to your better knowledge on such things...however... I honestly don't think these examples are the real deal.

So many things standing out as wrong on all of them.

Take the 1968 display as an example. It's obviously a Catalogue cut up and slapped on some cardboard. You can even see the crease and staple marks/holes. Even the names of the teams are cut out from a 70's poster catalogue and stuck on. Karlsruher weren't even mentioned by SSG in 1968...not until the 70's poster catalogues. So a 1968 display with 1970's poster names stuck on... :Doh: :lol!:

Then the majority of the ohw players all have playwear.

There are endless mistakes on all of these imo.

If i'm proved wrong i'll willingly apologise and crawl back under my rock...but imo...these are way off the mark.
I am not sure if you where there Ian, but about 2008 at Renishaw a chap had something similar on sale, he had about 3 different display units, I know Pete Moss bought one, one was very close to the ones discussed here. Without actually seeing them in the flesh, so to speak, we cannot say for certain one way or the other, my mate from SSG has said about 30 such things where taken by HASBRO on the closure of Oulton Gate.

Also something to bare in mind, back in those days no computer generated screen shots where done, so perhaps, and its a guess, certain things were hand made. I know for certain that things from the warehouse in Dublin do appear on ebay from time to time. Like I say without having in ones hands we cannot confirm one way or the other

Return to “Subbuteo on Ebay”