different coloured boots

The place for Ebay related Subbuteo topics (excluding auction advertising).
thebigred64
Forum Newbie

different coloured boots

Post by thebigred64 » 21 Jan 2019, 12:37

I recently took two boxes of subbuteo stuff from my loft to sadly sell, all my stuff was bought in the 1970s. One of my teams I have recently found out is rare, FC Donawitz of Austria. I’ve put all my teams in eBay and they are selling well, particularly in Italy. However someone, also from Italy, has contacted me to say Donawitz has imperfection. All barring one player has brown boots, the odd player has black boots, I never noticed this when I was 14! He says I can’t sell it as perfect team because of this. But it’s how I bought it. Is this a rare occurrence? I don’t want to be called a fraud but it is how I honestly bought all them years aback. Thanks for anyone who can help please

Gullseye
Grand Master

Re: different coloured boots

Post by Gullseye » 21 Jan 2019, 18:59

Quite possible that a player with different colour boots was included. Does the player with the black boots also have black hair ?

thebigred64
Forum Newbie

Post by thebigred64 » 22 Jan 2019, 09:46

Thanks for your reply.
It looks to me with like they all have the same coloured hair, does the fact one has different boots effect anything? ie whether it’s a perfect genuine team.

Saxony
Professional

Post by Saxony » 22 Jan 2019, 09:48

Revise your listing to clearly state the 'anomaly' / situation and then you shouldn't be vulnerable to complaints (or demands for partial refunds) after the buyer receives the team.

thebigred64
Forum Newbie

Post by thebigred64 » 22 Jan 2019, 11:54

Thanks for the advice, yes, I’ve now added in the description one player has black boots. I never noticed it originally and checked all my other teams and they are ok, hopefully people will believe they are all genuine although I got this guy in Italy telling me the value is not as much because of it. We’ll see, but thanks again for advice

Jon Rosten
Grand Master

Post by Jon Rosten » 22 Jan 2019, 11:57

it can happen.
i recently acquired a ref 174 in ref box with brown hair but black boots. it should be brown boots.
on very close inspection it does not look at all as if the boots have been overpainted from brown to black. there is not one single players boots where any brown shows plus you can see streaks of white flesh that sometimes doesn't get covered.
does your figure show any white "flesh" showing?
does the painting on the black boots look well done or messy?

so to answer your question with the guy in italy I would say that it I could be a genuine subbuteo outworker painter error.
only way to really tell is to see it in the flesh. photos make it very hard to be sure

Jon Rosten
Grand Master

Post by Jon Rosten » 22 Jan 2019, 12:01

your item description is fine

thebigred64
Forum Newbie

Post by thebigred64 » 22 Jan 2019, 12:59

Thanks guys, it is how I purchased from shop 40 years ago, it doesn’t look like overpaint, just looks like someone forgot to me, I suppose sitting there all day painting he must have been clock watching and missed it, but once again thanks for advice

Gullseye
Grand Master

Post by Gullseye » 22 Jan 2019, 18:24

Also remember that the players were painted in bulk and collected from the outworkers. The teams were made up and boxed in a separate operation.

spudski
Grand Master

Post by spudski » 22 Jan 2019, 19:28

Gullseye wrote:
22 Jan 2019, 18:24
Also remember that the players were painted in bulk and collected from the outworkers. The teams were made up and boxed in a separate operation.
Exactly this...

SSG was a business...and teams were often thrown together.

There are general rules, but you often get mixed boot and hair colours, different inners, different shaped bases...more so with mid to late 70's teams.

You sometimes get Italian collectors wanting perfection....even if a team was originally put together at SSG with these differences.

You shouldn't listen to them...as some of them really don't understand how SSG worked as a business.

As long as you have clear photos showing everything, they have no come back. No one wants time wasters, just because a team doesn't suit their collecting preferences.

If your team was originally bought like this, then it was original from SSG.

If you were to add a spare with brown boots...it wouldn't be the original team...yet some Italian collectors would see it that way.

All very weird imo.

thebigred64
Forum Newbie

Post by thebigred64 » 22 Jan 2019, 21:33

Thanks guys

I can’t believe that something I bought innocently in the 70s would cause me so many headaches. I don’t eat people to accuse me of fraud, I just want,reluctantly, to sell my stuff to genuine people who want it. As much as I would love to keep it all, sadly they are better off with someone who wants it rather than stuck in my loft! In saying that, prior to cataloging it all on eBay I set it all up pitch,stand, fence surrounding, scoreboard floodlights etc and all of a sudden I was 14 again.
Thanks guys for your help and assistance on this matter.

Keep up the good work

thebigred64
Forum Newbie

Post by thebigred64 » 22 Jan 2019, 21:33

Eat! = want

Heavyweight021
Grand Master

Post by Heavyweight021 » 26 Jan 2019, 19:46

Here's another case of brown, sorry black, boots!

Have a close look at the boots and you'll see they started off as brown - until the usual repainter got at them!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-1970 ... rk:21:pf:0

albertocollection
Semi-Pro

Post by albertocollection » 31 Jan 2019, 12:29

You sometimes get Italian collectors wanting perfection....even if a team was originally put together at SSG with these differences.
You shouldn't listen to them...as some of them really don't understand how SSG worked as a business.
Well, yes, could be, but you place nice and clear photos showing the differences you find and everything is visible and everyone can decide if make a bid or not.
Even if you are not an expert showing nice photos permit the people to understand if place a bid or not.

albertocollection
Semi-Pro

Post by albertocollection » 31 Jan 2019, 12:30

Here's another case of brown, sorry black, boots!
Hi ian ... very good example.

Return to “Subbuteo on Ebay”