Solo play help!

For posting of info relating to the ISF Solo league
newgolddream

Re: Solo play help!

Postby newgolddream » 23 Jun 2012, 10:38

I'm currently thinking about buying some spare keepers, and fixing three together - one standing up in the middle and one either side at 45 degrees. I'm hoping that will cover enough of the goal to need a well placed shot in the corner, or sneak one in between hands.

Some people stick a battery in goal.

peteij

Postby peteij » 24 Jun 2012, 22:44

I'm currently thinking about buying some spare keepers, and fixing three together - one standing up in the middle and one either side at 45 degrees. I'm hoping that will cover enough of the goal to need a well placed shot in the corner, or sneak one in between hands.

Some people stick a battery in goal.
I did try that a few times, but it's hard to imagine a keeper making a flying save when the ball pings off the battery and back into play. Just doesn't seem to bounce in a realistic manner or direction to me.*

* I do of course realise that a goalkeeper with three bodies is hardly the definition of realism!

Donegal Subbuteo
Professional

Postby Donegal Subbuteo » 25 Jun 2012, 15:49

Smaller set of goals. You could be on to something there Steve :clap: :guiness: Thanks for all the help and tips folks.
http://www.donegalsubbuteo.webs.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; http://www.Facebook.com/donegalsubbuteo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; e-mail donegalsubbuteo@hotmail.com

Gullseye
Grand Master

Postby Gullseye » 25 Jun 2012, 16:10

I've been playing solo for a while and blocking flicks are not really practical for solo play. Also found that it is best not to try to operate the goalie and shoot, as you can do neither properly. I stick the goalie horizontally on some blu-tack and mounted on a two pence coin. You just position the goalie before each shot.

I only allow the away team to have one flick of the ball instead of three in the opposition half and the home team has two. Both can have the usual three flicks in their own half.

Both the above work really well for me, but maybe not for everyone. It's best to try a few things and see what produces the most realistic results.

newgolddream

Postby newgolddream » 26 Jun 2012, 08:54

I don't bother with goalies tbh BUT do position as you suggest Gully. Did use a pro-keeper set up for a while as they were a bit bigger, but the ugliness bugged me so now back to the standard rodded ones.

Stevemaccal

Postby Stevemaccal » 26 Jun 2012, 15:32

Smaller set of goals. You could be on to something there Steve :clap: :guiness: Thanks for all the help and tips folks.
Seemed like a different way to go, it means you could keep your normal keepers. How about if you cannot get a smaller goal, you make your normal goals smaller by blocking some of it. I'm thinking you could put cardboard of something along the post/crossbars to decrease the openness of the goal.

Just some thoughts, but the more experienced guys might have better suggestions.

Donegal Subbuteo
Professional

Postby Donegal Subbuteo » 26 Jun 2012, 20:51

I found Gullseye's idea of sticking the keeper to some blu-tac on a coin worked very well. Position him before the shot and if he saves it, the weight of the coin will stop him from flying backwards into the net. I've also decided to use just 2 flicks per player. Working well for me at the moment. :guiness:
http://www.donegalsubbuteo.webs.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; http://www.Facebook.com/donegalsubbuteo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; e-mail donegalsubbuteo@hotmail.com

Gullseye
Grand Master

Postby Gullseye » 26 Jun 2012, 21:38

I found Gullseye's idea of sticking the keeper to some blu-tac on a coin worked very well. Position him before the shot and if he saves it, the weight of the coin will stop him from flying backwards into the net. I've also decided to use just 2 flicks per player. Working well for me at the moment. :guiness:
Glad the goalie method is working OK. I took that one from ForFoxSake who has been using it for years.

sammyboy249
Apprentice

Postby sammyboy249 » 01 Nov 2016, 17:24

The 3 player league I play in now, with the in-house unlimited flick rule, has adapted the goals and made them smaller, however we still keep the same rodded goal-keepers. I'm playing in my own solo league (see ISF solo League section), all of the equipment I'm using is the standard edition from the most recent Subbuteo set 2012 version. Is that the most revised Subbuteo set to date?! Anyone know.

I just feel that It's best to have the standard equipment. My matches involve a variety of bases both standard Subbuteo ones, G2 Raptor bases and sureshot. I ensure that the two sides are playing with a similar style base-ie G2 raptor base vs Sureshot , or two standard Subbuteo teams. In essence, to ensure a fairly even playing field. Sporting integrity and all that. Sure Shot and Raptor both bases have their pros and cons . Pitted against one another I wouldn't say there is massive advantages, favouring a particular type, I've secured wins with both teams.

BlackpoolRock
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber
ISF 2017-18 Subscriber

Postby BlackpoolRock » 01 Nov 2016, 20:28

The different manufacturers and bases, or kit suppliers, as I euphemistically refer to them, is one of the sub-plots.

I won't use the Zeugo standard 'sliders', but I have a mixture of Zeugo HW's, Subbuteo LW's, Fabbri LW Legends, Santiago and Top Spin, and I've recently introduced some traditional Subbuteo HW's this current season.

It's all part of the fun, and I must say that, at present, Top Spin are doing rather better than average.

I'm hoping to increase my Santiago teams, down to one at present, but that will probably have to wait until after the next Renishaw.

Return to “ISF Solo League”